W

WurlyQ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Super Turbos are fun!

weeeeee.jpg

Ouch. Such is super turbo variance. Just gotta ride it out!

A

AceZWylD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not much of a month profit wise, but I just played a 150 player SnG and won an entry to the million dollar turbo takedown. Now I just gotta make good on my entry.

A lot of this has a lot to do with the players left to act behind you once you get to shove/fold mode. If you have passive players waiting to get to the cash, shove/fold is simple, and you will rarely go bust. If you have big stack calling stations, you need to pick your steal spots a lot less frequently and let other players risk their DoN life by attacking the calling station.

gallopingael

gallopingael

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You don't get much of a chance to build chips before shove/fold - and there are too many people left on the table when it gets there too.

I KNOW!!!!

ISN'T IT AWESOME!!!

gallopingael

gallopingael

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ouch. Such is super turbo variance. Just gotta ride it out!

Exactly.

It's just tough on the ego when all your big hands aren't holding. I can't fault any of them for their calls. They were +EV against my range, I was just shoving the top of my range and their Ax was good after the flop.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I had so many bad beats today it actually gave me a headache lol. I need drugs now.

ugghhh...me too....

Took 2 days off and am not being welcomed back to poker w/ open arms....2 outed and then 4 outed in back to back matches. DRUGZZZZ!!!!

HEhehehehe, now you know what i was putting up with :hmpf: :p:p:p:p. It ain't easy to take now is it..... :icon_rend:afraid::afraid:
Oh i'm hoping to play some MTT/SNGs this weekend, hope to do well. It's been 2 weeks since i lasted played, i'm going for a 180 or is it 90 DS game.
If i do play Shark, i will end up being on MSN....

W

WurlyQ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
primarily @ Gallopingael regarding DoN's (though everyone else is certainly welcome to chime in)

1. Have you played the $10s and/or $20s on Stars recently? I feel like the $20s have a much worse reg:fish ratio even with some game selection (basically not piling onto a set of games with 3+ regs in them). I'm going to need a true roi at the $20s of at least 6% for me to move up (I'm not quite 12% at the $10s but I don't handle downswings well so it has to be bumped up a bit for variance). Is this possible 25+ tabling?

2. Any tips on when you know you're at (or close to) your limit of # of tables? I'm bouncing around between 27 and 28 tables (I've done terribly playing 28 tables but probably due to small sample size) but it's really hard to gauge the difference of 1-2 tables because there are so many other factors playing a role. Anything else I can look for aside from results that say I should stop adding tables? Thanks.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
primarily @ Gallopingael regarding DoN's (though everyone else is certainly welcome to chime in)

1. Have you played the $10s and/or $20s on Stars recently? I feel like the $20s have a much worse reg:fish ratio even with some game selection (basically not piling onto a set of games with 3+ regs in them). I'm going to need a true roi at the $20s of at least 6% for me to move up (I'm not quite 12% at the $10s but I don't handle downswings well so it has to be bumped up a bit for variance). Is this possible 25+ tabling?

2. Any tips on when you know you're at (or close to) your limit of # of tables? I'm bouncing around between 27 and 28 tables (I've done terribly playing 28 tables but probably due to small sample size) but it's really hard to gauge the difference of 1-2 tables because there are so many other factors playing a role. Anything else I can look for aside from results that say I should stop adding tables? Thanks.

I think, i would drop down a table or 2 and then see how your ROI is. It could be just adding that one table is killing your ROI.
I think you found your limit in tables.

B

bobsay225

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am having a very bad month confidence in my game which used to be a winner has gone out the window. Am working 7 days a week since end of november and find that since then on tracker I am down I have even got to the point that I think sites are rigged lol please help get me back on track. Am growing my donkey ears back and hee hawing:mad:

W

WurlyQ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think, i would drop down a table or 2 and then see how your ROI is. It could be just adding that one table is killing your ROI.
I think you found your limit in tables.

Time to make each decision is the key factor here and this varies based on who is in my games. Thus, the optimal number changes from set to set. I will consider your comment about reducing tables on occasion. Thanks.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow - I am loving me some $11 sng's!! I decided to take a shot at them today - played 18 total and had a really sweet run. I was amazed at how passive the players were.

Guess I will keep playing them until/unless they bite me on the ass.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Time to make each decision is the key factor here and this varies based on who is in my games. Thus, the optimal number changes from set to set. I will consider your comment about reducing tables on occasion. Thanks.
If the tables are fast, i even have a hard time with 4.
I hope you do consider my comment.

Tho i can't see how you could even play that many tables, i was up to 5 and got lost....

I need to set sometime aside to play poker... :hmmmm::hmmmm::hmmmm:

gallopingael

gallopingael

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

It's been a while since I've played on PS, but am going to be doing a BR building exercise for my blog (so I'll have something to write about).

I do have access to thousands of games though at those stakes from my students, and have noticed that there really isn't THAT much of a difference between the two levels.

6% is probably the top of what you can do at the 20's in the long run.

How many games is the 12% at the 10's over?

Depending on the sample size it might not be a "true" figure. We'll ignore that "true" ROI is always changing. What was a good "true" ROI a year ago is now probably impossible with the state of the game as is. In a little over a year DoN's have gone from being a license to print money to the ultimate grinding game.

As far as adding tables, I use a rather simple test. If you're rushed for time and missing too many spots then it's probably a good idea to play fewer. If you're thinking about the latest youtube video sensation and mentally balancing you checkbook while playing, then add a few more.

Also, keep in mind that you'll probably want to drop the number of tables when you first move up so you can pay better attention as you become familiar with the competition. Then add those tables back in after you've adjusted.

You might also want to do some math and see about the added value of the faster accumulation of VPPs and therefore FPPs would mean to you.

Hope that helps.

W

WurlyQ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's been a while since I've played on PS, but am going to be doing a BR building exercise for my blog (so I'll have something to write about).

I do have access to thousands of games though at those stakes from my students, and have noticed that there really isn't THAT much of a difference between the two levels.

6% is probably the top of what you can do at the 20's in the long run.

How many games is the 12% at the 10's over?

Depending on the sample size it might not be a "true" figure. We'll ignore that "true" ROI is always changing. What was a good "true" ROI a year ago is now probably impossible with the state of the game as is. In a little over a year DoN's have gone from being a license to print money to the ultimate grinding game.

Since the middle of December when I resumed DoNs, I'm running at 9.9% over 2182 games at the $10s so I can be fairly confident that my roi is at least around 7-8% or so (for the time being). Therefore I would need to run at 5% minimum (adjusted for my lack of ability to handle variance) in the 20s. Hmm... seems pretty close...

As far as adding tables, I use a rather simple test. If you're rushed for time and missing too many spots then it's probably a good idea to play fewer. If you're thinking about the latest youtube video sensation and mentally balancing you checkbook while playing, then add a few more.

Also, keep in mind that you'll probably want to drop the number of tables when you first move up so you can pay better attention as you become familiar with the competition. Then add those tables back in after you've adjusted.

You might also want to do some math and see about the added value of the faster accumulation of VPPs and therefore FPPs would mean to you.

Hope that helps.

Good points about the table number. I guess the problem with a static number is that when there are a bunch of regs in the games, I can play more because they take longer to act and therefore give me more time per table. 28 tabling on weekends is when I start feeling rushed if I have multiple consecutive decisions that I need a few seconds to think about (randoms tend to act faster and have wider calling ranges which takes me a little more time to process the decision). I guess I'll take all the factors into consideration and bounce around at 27~30.

I totally forgot about including FPPs and stellar bonuses in calculating total profit. That's like $.10 a game or $2.5 ~ $3 per set difference (between the $10s and $20s) so that's certainly relevant.

Thank you for your response. It gave me numerous things to consider. I should probably at least take a full fledged "shot" at the $20s and just move back down if it doesn't work out. I'm just such a bankroll nit X(

W

WurlyQ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Progress check and self reminder to push yourself.

VPPs: 3977 (136 VPPs behind pace)
ROI: 9.4% through 1772 games

Doing okay overall but today was a pretty rough 162 game break even day (+1.5 buy ins to be exact) which dropped my overall ROI for the month below my target (10%). I didn't run bad at all but my ATC shoves kept getting called by mediocre hands (and dominated me which destroys my EV) by seemingly tight people in situations I shouldn't be getting called and my good hands kept running into monsters which was annoying to say the least. I'm also pretty sure my overall distribution of good hands was below par. Overall, I'm proud of myself for getting through a rough day without tilting.

On a side note to myself, I need to tone down the steal/resteal game against the regs a bit and make better mental notes on who's small steals are weak and who's are strong. I also need to distinguish between the regs that are actually pretty good and those that are nit tight, the latter of which I don't mind piling onto their sets.

On that note, may everyone (including myself :p) run good for the rest of the month!

Errant Dog

Errant Dog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Took a 3 day break, and had my first winning session in like a week. Was up around 7 buyins last night. Almost forgot what it felt like.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Standard fold here?

full tilt poker $5 + $0.50 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t25/t50 Blinds - 6 players - View hand 489050
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

Hero (CO): t1450 M = 19.33
BTN: t2475 M = 33
SB: t3215 M = 42.87
BB: t3340 M = 44.53
UTG: t2485 M = 33.13
MP: t535 M = 7.13

Pre Flop: (t75) Hero is CO with A J
UTG calls t50, 1 fold, Hero raises to t125, 2 folds, BB calls t75, UTG calls t75

Flop: (t400) 4 A 5 (3 players)
BB checks, UTG bets t200, Hero calls t200, BB folds

Turn: (t800) T (2 players)
UTG bets t400, Hero ???

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What's the point in calling the donk bet if you're planning on folding the turn? Raise the flop and reevaluate from there. You put yourself in a bad position with the weak call on the flop.

Back on the SNGs with a little challenge in sig. 20 1st is minimum number 1 need to win to show profit (if I don't finish in any other place). Want to write a full guide for the $1.75 18-seat Turbo SNGs in Feb, but want to show profit and proof I can beat the game before I do anything. 100 is a bit low, but it's good for a solid sample. My main goal is to do 1000 SNGs with at least 30%+ 1st place finishes.

W

WurlyQ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Standard fold here?

Full Tilt Poker $5 + $0.50 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t25/t50 Blinds - 6 players - View hand 489050
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

Hero (CO): t1450 M = 19.33
BTN: t2475 M = 33
SB: t3215 M = 42.87
BB: t3340 M = 44.53
UTG: t2485 M = 33.13
MP: t535 M = 7.13

Pre Flop: (t75) Hero is CO with A J
UTG calls t50, 1 fold, Hero raises to t125, 2 folds, BB calls t75, UTG calls t75

Flop: (t400) 4 A 5 (3 players)
BB checks, UTG bets t200, Hero calls t200, BB folds

Turn: (t800) T (2 players)
UTG bets t400, Hero ???

Why raise so small pre? Entirely read dependent but I can't find a fold here against a random. Are AQ and AK really in villains range here?

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What's the point in calling the donk bet if you're planning on folding the turn? Raise the flop and reevaluate from there. You put yourself in a bad position with the weak call on the flop.

Why raise so small pre? Entirely read dependent but I can't find a fold here against a random. Are AQ and AK really in villains range here?

Yeah, raising flop probably would given me more info. I raised 2.5x to buy the button-- villain to my left was loose-passive up to the point-- but keep the pot smaller. Would raising more to isolate EP limper be better, or is it okay to encourage more multi-way action from blinds with the suited ace?

I thought for a second of folding since I wasn't committed but still shipped it, :p Anyway, he had trip fives and I went bust-o. That's probably the main reason I was wondering about folding the turn, lol.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Back on the SNGs with a little challenge in sig. 20 1st is minimum number 1 need to win to show profit (if I don't finish in any other place). Want to write a full guide for the $1.75 18-seat Turbo SNGs in Feb, but want to show profit and proof I can beat the game before I do anything. 100 is a bit low, but it's good for a solid sample. My main goal is to do 1000 SNGs with at least 30%+ 1st place finishes.

I'd be very interested to hear what you've got on this. Are you looking to come in 1st in 30% of two-table tournies or one-table? Best of luck.

W

WurlyQ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Progress check and self reminder to push yourself.

VPPs: 4690 (149 VPPs behind pace)
ROI: 7.3% through 2096 games

New biggest downswing: ~25 buy ins
New longest breakeven stretch: ~750 games

Wasn't planning to update but I needed to vent. Maybe this should go in the BBV section... Running 27 buy ins below EV in my last two days (chart below), 55 buy ins below EV in my last 1500 games, and 30 buy ins below EV overall this year.

I'm starting to make very -EV decisions during my latest downswing where I'm calling/raising with AK, QQ+ when it's clearly -EV to do so. Downswings happen but by making bad decisions, I'm adding fuel to the fire. It's starting to feel like I'm calling so that I can feel sorry for myself when I get sucked out on. I'm better than this...

I WILL correctly adjust to the bad play that others make.
I WILL persevere through this downswing.
I WILL make optimal decisions to minimize any negative variance.

On that note, I'm going to relax, eat until I'm fully content and watch TV for the rest of the night :D

Attachments

• Run super bad.jpg
    Run super bad.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 71
P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd be very interested to hear what you've got on this. Are you looking to come in 1st in 30% of two-table tournies or one-table? Best of luck.
They're $1.5 + .25 2-table/18-seat SNGs.

For the first 100 games, I want to just show a profit. If possible, I want 1st in at least 20 of the games. That's the minimum number of 1st place finishes I need to show any type of profit (assuming I only cash in 1st or not at all). Of course, I'm sure I'll place in other places as well, but as proof of my 'skill' for my guide, I want to finish 1st 1:5 games I play at a minimum. Of course, I don't expect to just take in a minimum profit...

For the 1000 game goal, since I'm playing more games I want to be able to take first in at least 300 games. 200 1st place finishes is needed at a minimum to show profit in 1000 games, but my goal is at least 300 if possible.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Still having a decent run at the $11's - seems every other day is good and bad lol. Managed to salvage yesterday last night after a pretty brutal run during the day.

gallopingael

gallopingael

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Still having a decent run at the $11's - seems every other day is good and bad lol. Managed to salvage yesterday last night after a pretty brutal run during the day.

clearly you should only play every other day then.