$$$ January SnG thread $$$

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm done responding to random posts. I know I don't come off as very friendly but I am always trying to either help someone or get a constructive discussion going but it always ends up with some responses tilting me real hard (not in this thread) :mad: *takes deep breath* Okay back to studying then grinding.

Just stay in here with us then. :)

zek

zek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So far this month I played 21 SNG's and have a 67.41 ROI. I also played 1 qualifier and won the seat. I ended up not being able to play and unregistered the seat for some FTP's.

I don't have a specific goal other than not to blow myself up this year. I've been living off of affiliate income trickling in from an old site for the last couple years and eventually playing too high stakes for it and sending myself to $0. My goal for this year is having the dicipline in regards to proper bankroll management. The limits in my head were more aggressive than those posted in the recent bankroll management threads. The limit I've set is having 40 buyins regardless of if it's a tournament buyin or max cash game table buyin.

-Raymond

W

WurlyQ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just thought this was sort of funny. :)

Full Tilt Poker Game #17870627881: $10 + $1 Sit & Go (134981955), Table 1 - 200/400 - No Limit Hold'em - 12:40:03 ET - 2010/01/24
Seat 2: Rimen78 (6,470)
Seat 5: cardplayer52 (7,030)
Rimen78 posts the small blind of 200
cardplayer52 posts the big blind of 400
The button is in seat #2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to cardplayer52 [Qs 8s]
Rimen78 raises to 800
cardplayer52: 50/50 chop?
cardplayer52 has 15 seconds left to act
Rimen78: no
cardplayer52 calls 400
*** FLOP *** [6h 8d Qh]
cardplayer52 checks
Rimen78 bets 800
cardplayer52 raises to 6,230, and is all in
Rimen78 calls 4,870, and is all in
cardplayer52 shows [Qs 8s]
Rimen78 shows [Kc Kd]
Uncalled bet of 560 returned to cardplayer52
*** TURN *** [6h 8d Qh] Q♦
*** RIVER *** [6h 8d Qh Qd] [Td]
cardplayer52 shows a full house, Queens full of Eights
Rimen78 shows two pair, Kings and Queens
cardplayer52 wins the pot (12,940) with a full house, Queens full of Eights
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 12,940 | Rake 0
Board: [6h 8d Qh Qd Td]
Seat 2: Rimen78 (small blind) showed [Kc Kd] and lost with two pair, Kings and Queens
Seat 5: cardplayer52 (big blind) showed [Qs 8s] and won (12,940) with a full house, Queens full of Eights

Clearly would have agreed if he had 23o there. Bad karma for being greedy imo :D

Just stay in here with us then. :)

Haha, thanks. Will do :)

So far this month I played 21 SNG's and have a 67.41 ROI. I also played 1 qualifier and won the seat. I ended up not being able to play and unregistered the seat for some FTP's.

I don't have a specific goal other than not to blow myself up this year. I've been living off of affiliate income trickling in from an old site for the last couple years and eventually playing too high stakes for it and sending myself to $0. My goal for this year is having the dicipline in regards to proper bankroll management. The limits in my head were more aggressive than those posted in the recent bankroll management threads. The limit I've set is having 40 buyins regardless of if it's a tournament buyin or max cash game table buyin.

-Raymond

Be conservative and good luck. Moving down is much harder than you'd expect when you hit downswings.

W

WurlyQ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Results from my last set today pretty much sums up the past week (run bad in the 10s, run mega hot in the 20s) I normally don't mix different stakes into a set but the game lists were both heavily packed with regs that I just mixed and matched and the trend still continued :D

Attachments

• 20good 10 bad.jpg
    20good 10 bad.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 94
Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am still running hot playing the $11's - Saturday was unbelievable! I would have a very hard time ever moving back to the $5.50's again. That should not be a problem though - my bankroll would cover me up to $55's I think.

Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am still running hot playing the $11's - Saturday was unbelievable! I would have a very hard time ever moving back to the $5.50's again. That should not be a problem though - my bankroll would cover me up to $55's I think.

Glad to hear that you have moved to the 11 dollar with success. I was trying to transition into the 16 dollar (cause I play turbos). but have hit a nasty downswing where I have lost 20+ buy ins at the 6.50 so moving up is on hold for me right now.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So, I'm starting my SNG guide...here is a snippet from it. I'm sure there are more things I'll add to it and stuff I'll change. Any opinions, comments, remarks, etc are welcome. Please note there maybe a few minor errors here and there. This is not a final draft.
-------------

Philthy's Guide to $2 SNGs

Note: While this guide is for $2 SNGs, it information is also for $1 SNGs. However, there is very little difference between $1 and $2 SNG tables as far as difficulty. If you're beating $1 SNGs, I would suggest moving up to $2 since it's pretty much the same but with much lower rake.

So, I know there are a lot of SNG guides floating around the internets. In fact, I'm sure there are a few on this site. So, why am I writing another one? Honestly, I think it's just because I want to contribute something to this site. I'm also trying to steer away from just another general SNG guide and I'm focusing on the $1-$2 SNG tables. So, this guide is aimed toward new online players/new SNG players who are playing the micro-stakes.

First off, what is an SNG? An SNG or Sit 'n Go are unscheduled tournaments that start when all of its available seats are occupied. They can range from 2 seats (Headsup), 6 seats, 9 seats, 18 seats, and up. Like a regular tournament, SNGs last until you win all of the chips in play or until you are knocked out. I am a big fan of SNG tournaments and think they're a great introduction into regular tournaments for new players. A great thing about SNGs is that they don't take too much time to play. On average, for a regular 9 seat SNG, it takes about 1 - 1.5 hours to complete and turbo SNGs take about an hour. So, if you're pressed for time but want to play, SNGs are a good choice. They're great for building bankrolls if you're just starting out. The variance is a lot lower in SNGs compared to tournaments, but you're also gaining a lot of tournament training as well. SNGs allow you to play and focus on specific points where you may be weak and need improvement. If your weakness in tournaments is playing final tables or short-handed final tables, then 6-9 seat SNGs are good. If your HU game is a bit weak, then try playing HU SNGs. Getting HU in a tournament is a great accomplishment, but it can be hard to reach spot on a consistant basis. HU SNGs are great help if you reach it and you're having trouble adjust to HU play or your have very little experience. I don't think any type of game is better than the other, they all have their pros and cons and its completely personal preference. I prefer to play SNGS > MTTs > Cash, but someone may be the comple opposite.

Part 1: Bankroll (BR) and Bankroll Management (BRM), the BR cushion, and the 10% multi-tabling BR rule

Your poker bankroll is the amount of money you have available at anytime. Your BR will determine what stakes you could/should play. In order to maintain a healthy BR, you would have to practice a healthy BRM plan. Since bad variance and downswings are a part of poker, following a BRM plan to ensure you're not risking too much of your money at one time.

My BR plan for SNGs is to have have at 30 buy-ins for a level with a 5 buy-in cushion. Some may say that 30 buy-ins is too much and 20 buy-ins are enough for SNG, some say it's too low and you need at least 40-50 buy-ins. So, it's entirely up too you. You just want to make sure that it's not too low. I personally think anything below 20 buy-ins is too low. Allowing myself 30 buy-ins at a given level allows me to play comfortably with little risk of going broke. For example, I'm currently playing at the $2 + .25 tables. I have a bankroll $71, which is 31 buy-ins. The next level is $5 + .50 buy-in, so in order to play that limit, I'll need a BR of $165. So, I'll need to continue to play the $2 tables until my BR reaches the $165 mark. Even if I have a BR of $160 or 71 buy-ins, I cannot move up to the $5.5 levels until I have 30 buy-ins.

My only exception to my BRM plan is that since $1 SNG tables are so weak, but the rake is so high, I advice people to move up to $2 tables when they have over 20 buy-ins at the $1 limit. The play at $1 and $2 tables is exactly the same. From there, it's 30 buy-ins.

Following BRM, there are two other rules that I like to follow. They're not necessary, but I find them pretty helpful when building a BR and moving up in stakes. They are The BR Cushion and The 10% multi-tabling BR rule.

The BR Cushion is an additional number of buy-ins added to your BRM plan used when you are planning moving up in stakes. . For example if you're BRM plan is 30 buy-ins, you might have a cushion of 3-5 buy-ins. This cushion allows you to move up stakes and play without running the risk of yo-yo'ing between the stakes. For example, if you have a BR of $165 and you're following the 30 buy-in BR rule, you can play the $5.5 SNGs. Now if you lose a game, you're BR drops to $159.5 and you're no longer BR for the $5.5 games and have to drop back down to the $2. If you play a $2 game and win, you're back up to playing the $5 games. This yo-yo effect can continue until you get a solid upswing and continue playing $5.5 or you're forced back down to lower stakes. Having a cushion of extra buy-ins allows you to play a certain number of games at the new stake without the yo-yo effect. Lets say your cushion is 3 buy-ins. At the $5.5 stakes, your BR should be $165 + $16.5 = $181.5. Your cushion allows you to play 3 games at the $5.5 level before you hit the BR balance between $2 and $5 games. If you win, you're just building your BR more and if you lose the 3 buy-in cushion, you can reevaluate your game. You can either stick with the same stakes or possibly move back down and build another cushion. The cushion is to reduce the risk of yo-yo swings between stakes.

The 10% multi-tabling BR rule is something I started doing recently. I like multi-tabling SNGs a lot because it allows me to get more games per hour in. However, if I play too many at one time, I can be risking a large percent of my BR at one time. So, in order to reduce the risk, I follow a 10% buy-in rule. This means that the total buy-in for all tables combined cannot be more than 10% of my total BR. So, I have a bankroll of $71, 10% of that is $7.1 and I play the $2.25 SNGs. Following the rule, I can multi-table up to 3 tables or less at $2.25 at time, but no more. Not only does this keep me from risking too much of my BR at one time, it keeps my total BR in check in case I do hit a downswing. Another rule is that I have to finish all of the tables first before opening any more. So, if I am only allowed to play 3 $2.25 tables at a time, I must complete these tables first before openning any more. This allows me to reevaluate my BR and the number of tables I can open at given time. I may be able to play 3 now, but i I lose all 3 games, I'll have to drop down to 2 tables. Or if I beat all 3 tables, I might be able to move up to 4 tables. Also, if I allow myself to play one set up multi-tables at a time, I can determine if I want to continue playing or not. So, if I downswing 3 games, I can decided to take a break for a bit before I continued. This is extremely helpful if I'm getting a bit too emotional or I may be tilting. I don't have this option if I'm playing a high number of tables at once or I'm constantly starting new games after I bust out.

Last edited:
Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Are you going to post that as a separate thread Philthy?

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Awesome. I'm going to try and break it down into a lot of parts, so it'll be pretty lengthy. I'm also planning on doing a video as well...eventually.

zek

zek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's more important to keep the SNG and MTT low than cash games. They are harder to keep track of if you get too many tables going at one time, especially if they are at different points in the tournaments. Just becuase you can afford say 4-6 open $2 SNG's I don't think it's a good idea to do it. I made the exception one for one of those insanity weekends where there were the rewards every 2 hours on Full Tilt. Off topic but good advice. My biggest killer the last 2 years is getting too excited about rewards such as iron man medals. Let them come naturally from solid play. Don't play extra or when you don't feel like playing becuase you'll get a couple extra medals at the end of the month. It's not worth the lost real dollars over the long run.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's more important to keep the SNG and MTT low than cash games. They are harder to keep track of if you get too many tables going at one time, especially if they are at different points in the tournaments. Just becuase you can afford say 4-6 open $2 SNG's I don't think it's a good idea to do it. I made the exception one for one of those insanity weekends where there were the rewards every 2 hours on Full Tilt. Off topic but good advice. My biggest killer the last 2 years is getting too excited about rewards such as iron man medals. Let them come naturally from solid play. Don't play extra or when you don't feel like playing becuase you'll get a couple extra medals at the end of the month. It's not worth the lost real dollars over the long run.
These are very good points you've made.

T

Tangerine 53

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Philthy - like Dakota I'd be really interested in seeing the full text. At present $2 SNG's at Full Tilt are my game of choice also so am looking to learn as much as I can! I agree with everything you've written so far and it makes very good commion sense.

W

WurlyQ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Crunch time! 3 days to grind out ~940 VPPs.

Dear Stars,

Please don't doomswitch me because that makes my grind infinitely harder. Thank you.

Your truly,

WurlyQ

:p

Errant Dog

Errant Dog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Crunch time! 3 days to grind out ~940 VPPs.

Dear Stars,

Please don't doomswitch me because that makes my grind infinitely harder. Thank you.

Your truly,

WurlyQ

:p

Goooooooooooooo Wurly.

On a side note, I've finally started to come out of my downswing and having success at the $12 level. I'm probably gonna cash out some $$$ this week and by a new desktop w/ dual monitor! I'm tired of playing on a laptop!!!

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I played a DON, i did 3X raises, even got folds with a flush on the board.. :)
Oh betting odd amounts works, 455 looks huge!!!

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Last day of the month - hope we all meet our goals! Unless I lose every sng I play today and play more than I have ever played in a day - I will have my best sng month ever.

Errant Dog

Errant Dog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
grinding MTTs today, and gonna play in the Milli

W

WurlyQ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Goooooooooooooo Wurly.

On a side note, I've finally started to come out of my downswing and having success at the $12 level. I'm probably gonna cash out some $$$ this week and by a new desktop w/ dual monitor! I'm tired of playing on a laptop!!!

ty, keep grinding away :)

Last day of the month - hope we all meet our goals! Unless I lose every sng I play today and play more than I have ever played in a day - I will have my best sng month ever.

Just win more than you ever have and there will be no problem!! :)

W

WurlyQ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ohhh goal setting. Hopefully this will motivate me to achieve them.

January Goals:
1. Platinum Star = 3410 $10 DoNs or 1705 $20s or some combination
2. 10% ROI at the $10s and hopefully move up to the $20s

1. Platinum Star achieved!! Yay!!
2. 8.0% ROI overall so goal not quite accomplished
6.6% @ 10s in 2438 games (ran pretty bad)
11.8% @ 20s in 461 games (ran really good)

With a Step 4 ticket mixed in along with $300 in tournament tickets from the OFC freebie, was a pretty good month.

A few thoughts on DoN for anyone that cares: The state of DoNs is not the greatest so I'm not super excited about the future. There are several Chinese regs at the 10s-50s that play nearly triple my volume and are sucking life out of the games. The games are definitely still beatable but I think achievable ROI is diminishing relatively quickly. I think 10% is probably near the top of what is achievable at the 10s massing lots of tables. We'll see what the 20s have in store next month.

Attachments

• Plat.jpg
    Plat.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 23
Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good job Wurlyq!

And I was happy enough to get silver star for the 1st time. It had nothing to do with the new program - I will end up with over 1700 VPP's earned. Gonna try to earn 3000 in March and get gold. February is too short and I will be gone for a few days this weekend.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
January's in the bag for me, so to review:

1 - Play lots, as always. Almost made my 150 goal last month despite work, so let's go for 170.

Creamed this one. Wound up at 286 games and the past week or so I haven't gotten much volume in. Work and a little thing called Mass Effect 2 seem to have gotten in the way. Finally getting my head right for four-tabling was the key.

2 - Keep identifying and fixing leaks in my game

An ongoing struggle, I guess. Reigning myself in when I'm getting too aggro in stupid spots is the big one at the moment.

3 - Profit

Achieved, to the tune of $257.81.

Final graph for the month below:

Attachments

• Jan 2010-4 graph.jpg
    Jan 2010-4 graph.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 22
W

WurlyQ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good job Wurlyq!

And I was happy enough to get silver star for the 1st time. It had nothing to do with the new program - I will end up with over 1700 VPP's earned. Gonna try to earn 3000 in March and get gold. February is too short and I will be gone for a few days this weekend.

Yay for new highs! Just keep improving both skills and volume and the rest will take care of itself! :)

January's in the bag for me, so to review:

1 - Play lots, as always. Almost made my 150 goal last month despite work, so let's go for 170.

Creamed this one. Wound up at 286 games and the past week or so I haven't gotten much volume in. Work and a little thing called Mass Effect 2 seem to have gotten in the way. Finally getting my head right for four-tabling was the key.

2 - Keep identifying and fixing leaks in my game

An ongoing struggle, I guess. Reigning myself in when I'm getting too aggro in stupid spots is the big one at the moment.

3 - Profit

Achieved, to the tune of $257.81.

Final graph for the month below:

gj!! More ambitious goals for Feb :)

N

nicoiko

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Time to see where I stand from my monthly golas
January goals :

1. Obviously make some volume : 1500+ SNG would be cool.
Played 1079 SNg's this month (haven't played any those last 4-5 days)
2. Make another attempt at PS trying for a change to make profit at 5.5 DON and upper. Achieving at least Silverstar if not Goldstar VIP level.
failed : made the transition to MTT SNG but falled around 200 VPP short for silverstar
3. Make SNG Wizard reviews of my play after EACH session (and no more i will group these at the end of the day just to forget these :rolleyes:)
done during the time I was playing STT but just forgot about it once i switched to MTT ones :confused:
4. Watch more consistently SNG videos on Sitngogrinders
done even submitted a hand history of a small stakes 18 players SNG tigerbalm review for me and it helped me tremendously
5. Try to focus on poker 30 days in the month and to focus on celebrating my birthday the other one (which could potentially avoid me a big hit on the BR if I succeed :eek::D)
was almost done (played a few bit of SNG on my birthday but wasn't drunk at this time of the day so that's OK) :p:D
6. (Optionnal goal) Try some SNG steps on several sites to see if I realistically could qualify for French EPT in Deauville. Would do that only if I'm in a good shape on the main goals as it will probably the last one I could have free time to do....:eek:
As I wasn't in time on my other goals I even didn't try those

So many fails on those goals but I've done others accomplishments I didn't mentioned here :
1. A 300$+ profit on SNG's this month
2. Iron Man status on FT for January.
3. On side notes, I've found a successful mix of Stud8 cash games, MTT SNG's (45 and 90 players) and MTT's and doing quite well in each of these (not killing but +$ in each of those).