Is it OK to never bluff?

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
bluffing is part of the game that makes the game of poker more interesting. I think it's possible not to bluff in poker, but then maybe poker will not make a profit. If you do not want to bluff, then I suggest using a semi-bluff.

FF2586

FF2586

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
My friend, I think it could be OK only if you play micro zoom on pokerstars (many players and no one gives a damn)

On ACR, there's no zoom, and playing against the same players and never bluffing!! You will lose so much value with your big hands and with your successful bluffs too, since there aren't any!

Poker is a game in which you play the players not the cards!

apeedgovi

apeedgovi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Really bad time to bluff :shock: , better is never bluff..I lost all in one hand

https://www.boomplayer.com/27499219_99919C0C91

Well. That is one scary flop to bluff on with two hearts. I think call after flop should made you alert that he just might have those two diamonds. In general I think it was ok to bluff after flop, but after that call - check and fold would be the way I would take.

T

titiduru

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i have been playing cash games .1/.2 on Americas Cardroom and dont bluff is that ok with the low stakes i play?
If you don't play often and mostly have different opponents than never bluffing could be the right thing in microstakes poker, but once other players label you as a non bluffer they will exploit that and put you at a disadvantage. Not bluffing enough and bluffing too much are to be avoided, which is, of course, easier said than done.

frankthebunny

frankthebunny

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play tight until the table sees you have a monster hand. This gives you permission to bluff with suited connectors.

V

vpashuta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Almost never bluffing is a good rule of thumb except when you can expose an opponents weakness - In other words- Pick your spots-

S

spottedflyer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well im a really tight player and rarely bluff but when i do i try to take the most out of it :) and i like to call a when i have something - i love it when its a bluff im calling :)

BuzzKillington

BuzzKillington

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can't play poker if you never bluff. Suppose you were always playing to your strength, then your opponents would sooner or later learn the patterns that determine your play, and will learn how to react to you with a positive EV. If you have a good hand, your actions will show it, and they will fold if they don't have anything. If you have a bad hand, your actions will show, and they will push you, regardless of their hands' strength.

Playing poker well requires you to bluff. If you can't be convinced of this fact, then I suggest that you try playing a poker variant where everyone shows their hand to everyone. You will quickly learn that you can't win anything that way. You will break even in the long term, like everyone else.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends also what you mean by bluff.

You never raise with AK and continue bet on a garbage board ?

Is that a bluff ?

I don't hate your sitting at a 2 cent table just playing the nuts. If players don't notice and pay you - then that is great.

But without incorporating some well sized bluffs at the right time...

you will never be able to play higher limit tables or tournaments.

Good luck !

alienat3d

alienat3d

easy-going alien grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No it's not OK. It's wrong to do that, as by doing that you are loosing so many good spots to win a pot. Bluff is a part of a NLHE game and very important part of it. There are so many different kind of bluff, CBET, Donk Bets, Stealing PF extending your range you open with, floating to taking it on turn or riving, when you feel weakness of your opponent. But to bluff without "telling a proper story" is wrong too. You just acting silly bluffing without plan and loosing even more money, than without bluffing. That's why it's very important to study and practice situations when exactly you should use bluff and how. It takes much time to study it well and i would recommend less bluffing for new players for sure. But it's not impossible never bluffing if you want to gain success at the game of poker.

Robochick

Robochick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seems like the overwhelming answer is no, it is not okay to never bluff. I think it is best to make it a rare occurrence...used sparingly it can work. If you get caught in a bluff too often, you need to switch tactics.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IDK, at .1/.2 I don't see where I'd be bluffing a lot. I agree, as you move up you need to be betting and aggressive, but in the low limits you get a lot of calling stations and don't want to get called down with bottom pair.

R

ricardibreezer

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I constantly bluff.

Without bluffing your game is so predictable. You only hit around 30% of flops.... so you just check/fold the other 70% of time? This means the 30% when you do hit and bet out - your opponeny knows you hit, folds and you don't get paid. So you lose 70% and win tiny 30%.

Bluffing is just as essential in poker as value betting made hands imo - bluffing simply has to make sense. The biggest mistake bluffers make is when the story doesn't add up. Like they will flop a flush draw, and look unhappy at having to call bets to see turn & river cards. Both cards are bricks that obviously do not improve their hands - they get desoerate to win back the chips they commited to the pot & make an obvious bluff.

Make sure your bluff makes sense and plan for it at the start of a hand. For example; if i get dealt trash for 7 or 8 hands in a row I'll be aware i appear tight to the rest of the table for folding so often...

Then in early position i pick up 78 suited. I'll maybe try a 3x raise and see if anyone wants to play. 1 caller.
This is a nice spot imo because 78 suited can connect with alot of flops, i can pick up draws. But say i miss totally and a rainbow flop of A 9 3 comes out - or even K 9 3. This makes perfect sense to bluff... your table image is tight & your opponent could believe you made top pair in this situation as you raised 3BB from early preflop - meaning a hand such as AK AQ KQ etc is very plausible & youre repping of top pair looks legit. If there's 7 BB in the pot, you could pick it up with a small bluff of 3 or 4 BB, you get good odds for a fold here. As you were not reraised preflop it seems unlikely your opponent has a premium hand, and would like fold a small pocketpair or small suited connected if he missed the flop and faces a continuation bet.

B

boonvech

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if u play poker without bluff that make many opponent players have chance to share money in pot. To eliminate some one out will increase winning percentage so it is necessary to bluff when u have good hole cards.

vavilen_

vavilen_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluff is part of poker! now there are many statistical programs with which smart opponents will simply throw their cards into the pile and you will lose to them! bluff is necessary! I do not post poker without bluffing!

Robochick

Robochick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I constantly bluff.

Without bluffing your game is so predictable. You only hit around 30% of flops.... so you just check/fold the other 70% of time? This means the 30% when you do hit and bet out - your opponeny knows you hit, folds and you don't get paid. So you lose 70% and win tiny 30%.

Bluffing is just as essential in poker as value betting made hands imo - bluffing simply has to make sense. The biggest mistake bluffers make is when the story doesn't add up. Like they will flop a flush draw, and look unhappy at having to call bets to see turn & river cards. Both cards are bricks that obviously do not improve their hands - they get desoerate to win back the chips they commited to the pot & make an obvious bluff.

Make sure your bluff makes sense and plan for it at the start of a hand. For example; if i get dealt trash for 7 or 8 hands in a row I'll be aware i appear tight to the rest of the table for folding so often...

Then in early position i pick up 78 suited. I'll maybe try a 3x raise and see if anyone wants to play. 1 caller.
This is a nice spot imo because 78 suited can connect with alot of flops, i can pick up draws. But say i miss totally and a rainbow flop of A 9 3 comes out - or even K 9 3. This makes perfect sense to bluff... your table image is tight & your opponent could believe you made top pair in this situation as you raised 3BB from early preflop - meaning a hand such as AK AQ KQ etc is very plausible & youre repping of top pair looks legit. If there's 7 BB in the pot, you could pick it up with a small bluff of 3 or 4 BB, you get good odds for a fold here. As you were not reraised preflop it seems unlikely your opponent has a premium hand, and would like fold a small pocketpair or small suited connected if he missed the flop and faces a continuation bet.
I am looking forward to playing with you. ;)

TrillUziVert

TrillUziVert

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluffing is a key essential to winning quick hands. If the table is checking all the way to river, there's something wrong there. You want the other players to back off the pot if you know they don't have anything.You need to lay down the bets hard enough to get them to fold.

P

Pickat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A cbet after a pre flop raise ,when you don't improve on the flop might be considered a bluff .
And you should be doing that.

Awrpze

Awrpze

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never bluffing means you'll never get paid off with the hands you have. Sometimes you have to show down the worst of it so people will give you more action. Plus, bluffing adds another way you can take the pot down. If you don't feel comfortable making crazy, stone-cold bluffs, try semi-bluffing more at least. Besides, if you continually get to showdown with the best of it, why not take advantage of that image and try to pull off some bluffs every now and again?

walluyo

walluyo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker without bluffing the game will feeling so boring... so lets make a bluff!

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've always heard it said that if you're not bluffing, you're leaving money a lot of money on the table. The key is to know when and how to bluff.

IcyNicy

IcyNicy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've decided for myself that bluffing is not good against opponents at microlimits. I don't know whether they are so stupid or curious but they often call. It's not worth it. You will just lose money that could be saved for better situations. But. Sometimes it is OK to bluff. For example in a pot where your opponent checked twice and you understand the fact that if you bet you will take that pot.

S

spottedflyer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I rarely bluff too, but you have to bluff sometimes if you dont want to be predictable, that way when you get into a hand everyone will fold :p

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you can get max value from all your hands and make proper lay downs you can profit a small amount, but in the long run your going to need to create some spots to bluff if you'd like to move up in stakes you're going to have to find a bluff line that fits your game and is profitable.

slayerupon

slayerupon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just remember one simple rule - never you bluff in Russian.. because they are fish and without a card will not play

So true, I remember at one point I would avoid playing against ANY Russian player because not matter what you could expect a raise. It can also work in your favour when you actually hit the nuts.

Bluffing is an important part of everyone’s poker game. Like people above stated it best to learn your opponent and bet to your advantage.