Is it OK to never bluff?

D

Diesss

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bluffing is a huge part of any good poker player. If you don't lie people will realize your actions and how you behave at a table, you become predictable. Remember that you play to win the game, either with a solid hand or just air.

S

Slightjke

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bluff is a good psychological impact on your opponent, but do not get carried away :)

T

Tomioto3095

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really don't think this is the right way to play. Maybe you get lucky in some games, but in generally, you will get hurt

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
^ this.

In poker it's a bad idea to "always" or "never" do things, you can't be absolute like that. At the micro stakes it's a bit less of an issue but as you move up you'll become predictable, and that'll make you easy to beat.

Plus if you NEVER bluff you'll almost certainly be giving up value, even at the micro stakes.

^ This. Well said sir.

Aleksandr Slepkin

Aleksandr Slepkin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just remember one simple rule - never you bluff in Russian.. because they are fish and without a card will not play

How far is the Belarusians are gone from the Russians?:confused:

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
u have to bluff you are going to get to other levels and games you need to learn to use a full tool box or you will get ran over. Watch some videos read a couple books:) Bluffing is vital in say a freeroll or mtt you will go card dead at times and have to make moves or be blinded off.

I guess you can pray for a horseshoe and keep getting great hands and be happy staying at a level. My advice though is to get comfortable with it.

Also you have to have bluffed at some point even at micro pennies. At times you had to not have the best hand or the nuts or something otherwise you would be seriously losing money imho

S

sellless

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No. It's good to rarely bluff but you'll be taken advantage of frequently if you never bluff.

liverpool52

liverpool52

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No if you do not use a bluff , then you are lazy to learn how to use this element in poker

sofren

sofren

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No bluf is a part of the game and if you never bluf probably you will not have so much success. It is ok if you play tournament and dont bluf in early phase, but if you going deep in some tournaments you should be agresive,that means you should bluf. If you play some 2-5 handed tournaments you must bluf if you want prizes. Bluf is much necessary in headsup, in this situation you must bluf. Also you need to find a balance between bluf and fold. If you bluf so much other players will beat you. Blef is good against tight players. My opinion is, bluf in early phase of tournaments are bad.

Samuel Lee

Samuel Lee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At lower stakes you shouldn't bluff too often. People will call you most of the time.
After you play longer at a table and you build a reputation as a tight player you can steal some nice pots but as I said, not too often.

I'll give your a link about C-Bet. That's kind of a bluff, good to use and can be pretty profitable if you become to master it.

http://www.thepokerbank.com/strategy/plays/continuation-bet/

J

jeongwee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dont bluff if you are against a fish , bluff the tight players who would usually folded to you and dont do that too often , you have to balance your range .

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's hard to win at showdown with 3 high. :D (Gotta get that bluff through)

R

rickymass1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
never bluffing

the biggest problem with never bluffing is that you won't get called when you want to be called. I'll bluff early in a cash game session and show my bluff. people will remember, and later it will pay off when you want to get called.

P

paulsmall007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
U won't be winning any tournaments without bluffing, that's part of being a well rounded player, when to raise pre flop, when to fold, when to check raise, when to bluff, when to value bet, blind stealing, bubble play, heads up. All variables need to be utilized if you wanna be profitable and making money is what we're all here to do

P

PLAYFUL1

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playful doesn't bluff because she doesn't know how too :eek:

Robochick

Robochick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have something to represent and your bluff makes sense with your betting in the hand so far, it can pay off. The more people left in the hand, the riskier it can be. Does never bluffing mean you don't semi-bluff?

Robochick

Robochick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Being caught bluffing when the pot is small can be a good thing.

KERAPUTIH

KERAPUTIH

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just remember one simple rule - never you bluff in Russian.. because they are fish and without a card will not play

Agree with you my friend, never bluff with Russian because they can firing you back. As my experience, the best way to defeat Russian is by setting up a trap with any pockets hand. ex : 22-TT, and make sure you hit the trips on community cards. then you play slow, call - call - re-raise (overbet).

Dunc8b

Dunc8b

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I didn't bluff. Too scared to be caught out and end up losing a stack of chips I guess in my early days.

But lately I have noticed that I am using a bluff more often and they are mostly successful. I think there are two types that I use. Firstly is where I am short of one card, maybe two, post-flop and make a confident raise. There has to be the making of a good hand on show or else it can go badly wrong. I think of this as a half-bluff. Sometimes I may have a fall-back of a small pair though I am hoping every one thinks I have the flush.

The second type is the full-on bluff when I have no cards that connect at all but there is the making of a good hand on show. This needs to be done, I think and could be wrong, when you have as few people as possible in a position to question what you may have and challenge.

I would expect that a reputation as a solid player will add credibility to your moves and people will not be expecting a bluff and fold, With luck :)

However, if you are not comfortable with trying a bluff then don't. At the cheaper end of the buy-ins there seems to be plenty players who will always check regardless of what they are holding.

Just based on my experiences so far. In another month I could be playing totally differently.

JAQK_T

JAQK_T

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when it comes to bluffing, you shouldnt ever be doing it just for the sake of it. You NEED to bluff occasionally for 2 reasons. 1. The situation really calls for it..(this can be a full seperate thread). 2. You need have a balance ranged, so that when you actually have a monster hand you can get paid off by others. If not, your big hands wont make you as much money as they have the potential to

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
At low stakes cash games, people are loose, when you bluff you usually have no hand and at low stakes you will be looked up by AK, and low pairs on the riv, so your bluffs won't work.
These opponents won't notice your tight play, so carry on not bluffing and take down the calling fish with your big hands:)

Bluffing is more of a tournament tool and if you have a Hud, and know the tight weak players, you will need to bluff.Unfortunately the blinds grow and failing to steal in late position will mean, when your big hands do arrive, your stack will be to low to take meaningful advantage of them.

Last edited:
iriska

iriska

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I bluff very rarely, not always succeeds (

S

Shanek

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
personly I like to bluff and not bluff at times I fell it thorws players off cuz ur betting pattern differ every now and then not to mention I feel it helps stop h.u.d. from getting a good read on u

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the most convenient thing is not to do it