I hate Pocket Aces -

swrittenb

swrittenb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just playing in a tourney on stars now where someone raised AA preflop and got called a stupid fish for raising. We're now joking about how AA isn't even a suited connector and how it's easily worthy of a fold in that situation. :rolleyes:

MoNkeY_HoBo

MoNkeY_HoBo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I love aces and HATE JACKS!!!!!!!!!! every time I have pocket jacks a ace flops and someone has it! lol now I'm just going to treat it like a middle pair or something:confused:

Dreams of Tragedy

Dreams of Tragedy

dreamsoftragedy.com
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love pocket aces

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Played 5k hands today, won 11BI.

Of those, 5BI came from AA.

<3 AA :)

FereZ

FereZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on situtations.
Just unluck if you lose with them on pf all-in.
One of biggest bad beats to me with aces have happened on
3.3 dbl stack knockout. Prize pool was over 3k $.
It was pretty deep. was like 60players left when i got these, and i had one of the biggest stacks.
I had A-A on good position, raised with it, and bb(chiplead) went all in.
He had kings. BOOM
Theres a king on flop.
**** SAKE. It made me mad.

NeverFold

NeverFold

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You must know how to handle your pocket aces so that you will love it.

rssurfer54

rssurfer54

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fwiw, I like weregoat's posts - but I cringed when this was posted almost 2 months ago.

His point, I think, is a good one - it can be difficult to play AA postflop, while other hands are much easier - though of course those other hands are not as profitable over the long run (partly why they're easier to play - if you miss the flop, you generally fold, since they're low value unimproved).

However, I'm always amazed by how much traffic any thread titled "JJ/QQ/KK/AK are overrated/difficult/suck/whatever" can generate and feared that this thread would still be alive at the beginning of May. And of course today is the last day of May, and it's still kicking.

Random thoughts:

We all know that multiway AA/KK/QQ isn't nearly as strong as HU, so obviously we're a whole lot happier to be HU than multiway, and we're open raising/3betting/raising over limpers preflop to encourage getting HU.

That doesn't mean, though, that we ought to be raising in such a way w these hands that we're just going all in, or making a raise that is simply a huge steal, unless stacks are short - at 100bb's deep, that'd be silly unless we know that Villains are willing to stack off. If we're at 20bb's or less, then of course shoving makes sense (though it's exploitable if you're not shoving a wider range than that).

There's an entitlement problem w KK/AA in particular, a sense that these hands are such prohibitive favorites preflop that anyone stupid enough to call us when we have these hands deserve to lose their stacks, and we deserve to win their stacks. Postflop can be hard to play w these hands, because there's a good chance that others will bet hands worse than ours (draws, top pair) that we should be calling/shoving over as well as a good chance that substantial action means we're crushed (sets etc.). Reads on other players are critical here, as well as hand reading skills.

Siginificant multiway action on the flop should tell you at the very least that you're in potential trouble w your AA's. Depending on your reads on the situation (other players, board) you may be better off folding and looking for a better spot.

There's also a "fear factor" (don't know a better way to put it) that leads to concerns about someone calling pf, flop, and turn to try to catch a runner/runner winner. BUT we actually want them to do this, and want to be stuffing the pot w as much money as we think they'll call to attempt this. Sure, we're going to lose money when they hit, but think of how uncommon it is to actually hit (you're not calling substantial pf, flop, and turn bets to hit runner/runner, are you? why not?) and how much you'll win when it doesn't.

We're not trying to win every hand, nor are we entitled to win every time we raise preflop. Sometimes you do have to fold. If a tight passive player calls me pf when I'm holding AA and he check/raises the turn, and I'm unimproved, I'm going to have to think of a reason to continue in the hand more than I'm going to have to think of a reason to fold.

If you use either HEM or PT3 and have a significant number of hands played (say, 10K+, in which you will have been dealt AA somewhere around 47 times - fwiw 10K is actually not considered significant for most purposes, including this), look at the ranking of hands you've played by winrate and by $won. Seriously, if the highest ranked hand in both categories is NOT AA, there's something wrong with the way you're playing them. If you would rather be dealt any other hand, you're being superstitious.

/end rambling post

Do you really think that if aa isnt my highest I am playing them wrong? I have played about 17000 hands since I got pt3, with aa 92 times. aa is behind qq tt and kk for me. I assumed it was just variance, but do you think that is really my faults?

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm overstating it. AA/KK/QQ/AK and so forth should be at the top. A few bad beats w AA's, a few flopped sets w TT, and it'll change things.

I don't think I've ever had a 17k hand stretch where AA wasn't number 1, but I'm not a big enough sample by myself to say that's significant.

Weregoat

Weregoat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm overstating it. AA/KK/QQ/AK and so forth should be at the top. A few bad beats w AA's, a few flopped sets w TT, and it'll change things.

I don't think I've ever had a 17k hand stretch where AA wasn't number 1, but I'm not a big enough sample by myself to say that's significant.

Sly, you always bring such enlightened points to threads.

Truly the hardest part of AA is post-flop play. My style is not common among members of this forum, so a lot of the posts I see contrast to my personal view points (I'm much looser than the majority of the players here in cash games, and pride myself on my reads, and will call down with J high on a big river bet if I believe I'm ahead... Where such things would be considered lunacy by people with much better win rates), so when I created this thread, I'm pretty sure I'd had AA twice in a 4 hand span, and it was beat by some bull crap two pair both times, and I couldn't get away from it - perhaps a post in the BB forum would have been more appropriate.

And while I'm currently not playing nearly enough hands to offer any significant sample of AA not being my #1 money maker, but truth be told, if you were to look at the hands I've played and the hands that've made me the most money, AA isn't anywhere near the top. But it's part of my playstyle.

When I look down and see AA looking back at me preflop, I'm quite happy. When I don't improve and see a check/raise on the flop from a tricky player, the gears start turning.

Truth be told, I'd rather pick up the blinds and limps and what not every time I get AA then ever have to take them to a flop, but the same can be said for every hand in my raising range.

I like it simple. Either I'm ahead or I'm not. And when I say I'm ahead, either you believe me or I don't. And if you say you're ahead, either I believe you or I don't.

And while one pair is just that, and ranks at the bottom of the totem pole for made hands, it's still the best one pair, so it gets a little tricky finding out if your villain has one pair or they have better.

I'm watching a sitcom with big language now and my brainhole hurts, but if you get your money in with AA preflop and lost, then you're missing the point of the discussion. Any time you get your money in as a gross favorite you should be happy.

It's the difficulty of translating your power against your villain's relative power based on playstyle, chipstack, value of your hand, board texture, as well as a great number of other factors always chocked up in the blanket answer "it depends."

billdogg

billdogg

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can I join the "hate pocket aces" club? 3 consecutive times now somebody has shoved all in PF before me, while I have AA. Easy call, but everytime somebody has a lower pocket pair, and has hit their trips.

I guess if it goes by averages though, I should be good on that not happening for a while again.

NCfoldem

NCfoldem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here we go again. We all like pocket Aces! Even those of you who say you don't, do. Sometimes we go through phases where our Aces don't win as much as we expect, but I agree with Atlanta (don't tell him though, I have an image to uphold), overall even a marginal player should be able to win more than lose with them. Personally, I get much more annoyed with 7 2 .

aloneboy_uae

aloneboy_uae

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i have the same feeling...i hate pocket AA...But i love pocket 5... 90% im going to get 3 of kind.... i think my best starting hand is 55

D_russo88

D_russo88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ugh!!! I hate them too! The last time i won with them was..... I can't remember the last time i won with them.

timboslice4

timboslice4

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What!?!?

Ok no pocket hand is going to win every time, but everyone should be elated when they look down at two rockets. The hand is playable from any position and in any situation pre-flop and also it is the most profitable hand in poker. After reading one of Mike Caro's books though it greatly changed my outlook on aces. I often used to reraise with aces this is usually the wrong play in cash game because you want a lot of people to call. Everyone who calls is going to have a weaker hand. With this strategy you will not have as high as a percentage of winning but in the long run you will see an increase in profit. Depending on the texture of the community cards you should also be value betting all the way.

In conclusion raise the normal 2.5X or 3X the bb value bet your aces unless you have a lot of suspicion and change it up if you have three bet a few times before it is fine to three bet your aces. Also when your under the gun or in early position throw in a limp every once in a while, but the majority of the time you should call the original raise to not prevent others from folding or raise your normal amount.

C

cibonazg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That makes absolutely no sense.

If you lose with aces more often than you win - it's not the hand IT'S YOU!
i totally agree...
if you having problems winning with pocket AA then it is something you are doing wrong...
i really don t know anyone that dislike that hand...
well i think you don t mean that hehe...

tomines

tomines

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My Aces was cracked by 22 O.O.. cost me my tournament..
but i still love Aces :D

T

txdfwshooter

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
seems like in 9 ring games, pocket aces can get always get beat, which is fair cause you cant say AA is automatic and you should slow play. It seems when im against it, they get flop an ace

V

Vizzinzin

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to play your hands agressive thats how i try to do it but you are pretty much boned if flushes come up or anything else and like all hands aces can get cracked but try to be bold preflop its better to take a small win than a big loss

billdogg

billdogg

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lost my first AA hand in a home game situation last night.

UTG min raised, I 3 bet 4xbb in MP, BB 4 bet 8xbb, UTG called, I shoved, BB and UTG called.

I had AA, BB had KK, UTG had AKo. SB showed he folded A7, so I knew it just down to the one last King in the deck. As you can probably guess, BB got his 1 outer on the river. I did at least pick up the side pot between me and the UTG.

Surprisingly, I got AA only a few hands later on the button, min raised, and only picked up the blinds.

M

Mr Whatever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its the best hand preflop, so if u shove preflop ur doing it right by playing the odds. if u shove preflop and they beat u, theres no shame because u did everything u could.

if ur playing around and lose to some joker holding 37 in the bb or whatever because u allowed em a cheap look at the flop because of ur arrogance of having aa and they hit two pair or better on the flop because u didnt play the pair correctly preflop u deserve to lose. whats the old saying better to win a small pot then to lose a huge 1?

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I rolled a dice and said:

"If it lands on 1, 2, 3 or 4 you give me $10, if it lands on 5 or 6 you give me $10"

Would you?

Getting aces in pre is better odds than that ;)