I hate Pocket Aces -

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's ironic I'm reading this post and playing in a tournament its the middle stage and my M factor is around 22. I get dealt AA in MP action is folded to me so I open the pot wit a 3xbb raise and get popped from the CO for pot. What do I do? I shove. He insta calls me and turns up QQ. Before I could fist pump getting my money in good. By the way we were both even stacked. The flop makes his set and I just feel sick. Hoping to catch 1 of my 2 outs the turn pairs the board and I'm toast. So AA is a beautiful hand to get, you can definitely lose you're entire stack if not proceeding with caution. I still like AA but I will definitely proceed with caution when getting dealt the double edged sword.

That's what you folks don't get! It's NOT a double edged sword.

You will lose with aces once in a while, but how would you have proceeded with caution in this hand? Just smooth call preflop??? Fold on the flop??? How would you have played this hand differently???

Aces are the best starting hand in holdem. Some people just think they should play like jokers and win every time. There is no hand that wins everytime.

swrittenb

swrittenb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The first time I was the first one to bet and made it 90 with a big blind of 30. Everyone folded and I won 45 chips. I mentioned that it's better to win the blinds than to lose the hand, knowing the old addage about AA winning small pots and losing big ones.

You probably know this, but if you'd had 27o there instead of AA, and you'd made it 90 with a big blind of 30, everyone would have folded and you would have won 45 chips.

ckingriches

ckingriches

Lucky Multiple League MVP
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You probably know this, but if you'd had 27o there instead of AA, and you'd made it 90 with a big blind of 30, everyone would have folded and you would have won 45 chips.

You may be right, but there also would have been two more Aces out there for the other eight players. I could figure out the math, but I suspect the probability of getting called or raised when I have AA is significantly lower than when I have 27o.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You may be right, but there also would have been two more Aces out there for the other eight players. I could figure out the math, but I suspect the probability of getting called or raised when I have AA is significantly lower than when I have 27o.

You sir are correct, goes up by a few percent

B

budebuzz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Aces are bad if you dont play them right. Depending on position, number of callers etc. I love aces, whats worse is not getting cards at all. At least with aces I have a lot of options. I still get beat with aces but its always a great feeling to get them.

B

bobboss171

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think AA is the hand possible to play poker !
mY favorate hand , but i raise 3 or 5 times the big blind
to eliminated other player . i never give call always raise
and 95 % i win .

R

rollnutilt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's what you folks don't get! It's NOT a double edged sword.

You will lose with aces once in a while, but how would you have proceeded with caution in this hand? Just smooth call preflop??? Fold on the flop??? How would you have played this hand differently???

Aces are the best starting hand in holdem. Some people just think they should play like jokers and win every time. There is no hand that wins everytime.
Exactly aces will not win all the time and you out of all people should know that. How many times have you won with aces vs how many times you've lost with them. And when you do lose with them you LOSE big don't you. Stacking off with aces pre-flop because its the BEST HAND PRE-FLOP doesn't mean it's the best hand post flop. Do you win 100% of the time with aces? I think NOT! Even pro's will fold aces.

R

rollnutilt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol what? You'll proceed with caution later so you can avoid getting all your money in with 80% equity? Interesting philosophy...
Just because your 80% doesn't mean you will win 80% of the time. Granted aces are the nuts pre flop but that's pre flop not POST FLOP.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
In today's Full Tilt CC freeroll, I had poket Aces twice in 37 hands.

The first time I was the first one to bet and made it 90 with a big blind of 30. Everyone folded and I won 45 chips. I mentioned that it's better to win the blinds than to lose the hand, knowing the old addage about AA winning small pots and losing big ones.

The second time I was again the first one to bet and made it 150 with a big blind of 50. I had one caller, who happened to be the chip leader. The flop was Q 3 4 (two hearts), and I bet just under half the pot. The chip leader put me all in, and I called, figuring I had the best hand. I was right, him having Q J (no hearts). That's no consolation, given the J that followed on the turn, giving him two pair. No miracle for me on the river (3 4 or A), and I'm out in 100th place instead of sitting pretty in 7th.

I'm sure I've won many more hands with AA than I've lost, and I've probably won many more chips and dollars with them. But the wins are expected, and losses are unexpected, unfair, against the odds, suckouts and much, much more memorable in their lasting sting. So I understand the OP's sentiments, even though we all know he'd love to see AA more than any other hand.

Actually I think OP's post is in a completely different context in that they sound like they're referring to cash game (or at least 'deepstacked play') where you can get in difficult spots & can potentially lose a big pot if you're not capable of getting away from your hand.

Cases like the one you're referring to where you're able to get it in as a big fav. 80/20 on the flop is alot different (shallower stacked MTT play).

As far as OPs post goes... sure it's great to play SC's and set mine with low pp's in hopes of stacking off the very guy who can't get away from AA or TPTK.. but to say that if AA hits a set that it's highly likely someone has hit a straight is a bit far-fetched imo. Not all players are hooked on playing broadways (although of course you'll find some).

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"When I'm dealt pocket aces, unless a very obvious straight or flush flop comes out that fits into my opponents range, I'm okay with committing 100% of my remaining stack on any street. Why? I don't know, I can't fold this hand. Call it my weakness as a poker player."

This is the problem. You can't fold aces after the flop unless there are obvious straight or flush draws on the flop? Even if it's pretty clear someone has a set or two pair?

P

playerk7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i love pocket aces, gimme them everytime and im playing them the same way..... aggresive

O

onetime

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pocket Rockets

It's definitely a good hand but it's definitely not unbeatable.It's still a good starting hand though.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Just because your 80% doesn't mean you will win 80% of the time. Granted aces are the nuts pre flop but that's pre flop not POST FLOP.

Umm... actually you will win 80% of the time.

btw... way to go on getting stacks into the pot preflop while holding AA in a tournament (couldn't ask for a better result than that preflop).
BUT.. because you lost you'd consider playing it differently in the future???? I'd only play it differently if I didn't think I was going to stack villain &/or stack size was ~20bbs so it might be better to flat & trap my opponent, in hopes of getting it postflop.

How would you suggest getting away from AA with a Qxx flop (just slow down & check/call... check/call.... fold river???).

Weregoat

Weregoat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

btw... way to go on getting stacks into the pot preflop while holding AA in a tournament (couldn't ask for a better result than that preflop).
BUT.. because you lost you'd consider playing it differently in the future???? I'd only play it differently if I didn't think I was going to stack villain &/or stack size was ~20bbs so it might be better to flat & trap my opponent, in hopes of getting it postflop.

How would you suggest getting away from AA with a Qxx flop (just slow down & check/call... check/call.... fold river???).

I think the poster who started this line of questioning misunderstood what I meant. If I can get my money in with Aces preflop, a straight on an unpaired non-flush board, top flush on an unpaired board, etc, I'm happy.

And yes, Orifice, I was talking about deep stacked cash games when you can lose a fortune short of getting your stack in pre (and even then over time you're going to lose 20-25% of the fortune, but at least you made the right play).

The point I was making was they are too easy to play preflop (way good - raise raise raise raise), and can be difficult to play post flop.

A lot of this comes with table image. Some of my biggest money makers this year (granted I've played less than 2000 hands thanks to a deployment) are hands most people wouldn't even consider playing preflop (35o turned a str8 for free, got stacks in against TpTk, 24o caught bottom two pair on a cheap turn in a 3-way pot, got stacks in on turn against TpTk, 86o flopped trips, raised PFraiser, jammed/got called by AA), so it's a lot harder to put me on AA then somebody who has - say - 12 VPIP and 8 PFR, so when I face a raise on a Q high flop while I hold Aces, it's entirely possible that my opponent has a strong Q, but then again they could very well hold a set, an open-ended draw, or a combo draw. I raise to see how strong they are, then when all their money's in the pot what choice do I have?

If I were to drop say . . . 25% of the hands I play, I'm sure this problem would work itself out over time, but at the tables I play, people don't fold top pair top kicker, so when I make that straight or that baby flush or sometimes even two pair/trips with a seemingly harmless turn card, I'm ready to jam. If I'm up against a better flush/set/FH, then it's part of the game, a risk I take in playing a wide range of hands. You don't have to have the nuts to win a gigantic pot, just a hand stronger than everybody else.

While a rainbow flop with an A on it is a beautiful thing for AA, what do you do when there was an original raiser, you 3-bet, and got called by two players with a flop of A73? Bet and take the pot down right there? Or try to milk it for the most you can, pretend that ace scared you? Or pray you got called by 77 and 33? I like to think of the possibilities of that...

But even on this flop, any turn that doesn't improve you makes a myriad of straight draws, and even completes some of them, not that I'm supposing you'll be up against the likes of two unpaired wheel cards at the turn, but 45 did flop a double gutshot and both straights they make will be the nuts, as well as be clearly disguised and will have no problem stacking off with us should they hit, which we'll probably fist pump when it happens, then feel our hearts drop until he make our boat on the river.

All I'm saying is it's vulnerable, more so in deepstack play where you should be opening up your ranges of hands to effectively win against a predictable opponent, because if for some reason I raise with 45s, you 3-bet me with AA, and somebody calls before me, and my call will close the action - you bet your ass I'm coming if both your stack and villains offer the potential for a large change of hands, and if you make the mistake of letting me hit my straight when you have a set, I intend on making you pay for it.

I know I'm not the only player out there like that. :)

Regards, WG.

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"But I'd much rather play hands like suited connectors and suited one-gappers. They're more fun, more lucrative, and their power tends to be disguised, not to mention you can fold them when you're behind, as this way you're not engaged to the strength of your hand, but you can make considerations based on the hand's potential after some cards come out."

This was your original statement. You'd rather play suited connectors and suited one gappers? Rather than aces???

That's the part that doesn't make sense.

KyleJRM

KyleJRM

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Someone likes the ego boost of winning a big pot with a bad pre-flop hand, and is conveniently forgetting all the times they lost money doing the same thing.

R

rollnutilt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

80% all the time pre and post flop?
Yes I shoved and got my money in good. But it doesn't always mean you win. Even if I flat called there was no way I could put him on QQ. No there was no way I would of gotten away from my hand.

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
80% all the time pre and post flop?
Yes I shoved and got my money in good. But it doesn't always mean you win. Even if I flat called there was no way I could put him on QQ. No there was no way I would of gotten away from my hand.

If you are 80% to win a hand at any point, 4 out of 5 times you will win.

Yes all the time pre and post flop.

KyleJRM

KyleJRM

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are 80% to win a hand at any point, 4 out of 5 times you will win.

Yes all the time pre and post flop.

If you are 80% to win a hand at any point, you will have had the best hand 80% of the time if all players involved go to the showdown.

The fact that both you and he have decisions still to make, your actual win rate may be higher or lower than 80%.

D

dazzaboi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When im dealt pocket aces i really dont like to fold them. I raise the blind 2 or 3 times to get rid of most people with silly little cards that after they see the flop they might be able to chase the straight and flushes. Then if theres just low cards on the table i just raise a little more and if the 3rd one hits its the best feeling in the world and 90% you have the winning hand so i go all in

G

godoy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
k, everybody knows that mathematical it is the best hand, but in poker you unfortunately have some preferences of hands, for example, I love playing 10 k spades, don't ask me why, I just love, and some people just hate playing AA, mathematical speaking this is ilogical, but when you talk about poker, nothing is 100%

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"and some people just hate playing AA, mathematical speaking this is ilogical, but when you talk about poker, nothing is 100%"

I would tell those people to raise A LOT preflop and they will do okay.

:)