I hate Pocket Aces -

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can only remeber one time where I actually folded Aces. I remeber many times that I should have and could never let them go. I was in a tourny with AA and was raised to put me all-in. To call would have made me go out on the bubble and not cash in the tourney. Even though my chances were great of winning the pot I decided to fold to ensure myself of a cash and having plenty of chips still left to advance myself further in the tourney. The tourney was a $50 tourney on lline and the chances of making some serious money was still there. I think I made the right decision because I ended up cashing for $650. Had I called maybe I would have had enough chips to win the tourney, but then again I could have been out with empty pockets. Did I make the correct decision?

Please tell me you didn't fold them pre-flop to a single all-in raise :( please :(

P

PlayerPlayerAA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AA is like a God sitting in front of us, the almighty. So when they get cracked, it leaves a lasting impression. We tend to forget the highest percentage of time we win with them, to the times we lose hands with them. To me its a part of life.:D

jdeliverer

jdeliverer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can only remeber one time where I actually folded Aces. I remeber many times that I should have and could never let them go. I was in a tourny with AA and was raised to put me all-in. To call would have made me go out on the bubble and not cash in the tourney. Even though my chances were great of winning the pot I decided to fold to ensure myself of a cash and having plenty of chips still left to advance myself further in the tourney. The tourney was a $50 tourney on lline and the chances of making some serious money was still there. I think I made the right decision because I ended up cashing for $650. Had I called maybe I would have had enough chips to win the tourney, but then again I could have been out with empty pockets. Did I make the correct decision?

No, this is wrong. Even on the bubble, in a large MTT chip:equity is roughly 1:1. It's usually only at or near the final table that you can use ICM calculations.

A

av1966

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
pocket aces are great but the flop is the key, but its always a temptation to feel u are winning and make a mistake

S

swingro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never fold them. But this is not the problem. Yesterday i took 3 bad beats with aces and i remembered this thread. Cash table 6 max 1/2c .

Pocket Aces. Raised 5 BB every time preflop.
I raised the pot untill the river every time.
One guy , the same guy every time followed me untill the river and got streights .

The reality was so cruel that i just stayed for half an hour to regain my composture. Just laughed a lot, closed the computer after the third time and went to sleep.
I knew he had nothing untill the river. I could go all-in after the flop and he would still call like he did with others.
I do not think poker is rigged. Never will. But i think there are ppl there that eat cr.a.p in the morning to get lucky later.

jazzaxe

jazzaxe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Best thing about Pocket Aces:
You get all in preflop against 1 other player who calls you.
Next best thing about Pocket Aces:
You raise about 10% of your stack and get called by another player
You hit an A on the flop and get player to call an all in bet.
If any of these things happen, do not change anything in your game. You are playing the best edge in Holdem.

The bad news is AA post-flop unimproved is an ordinary hand. If you were stupid enough to slowplay preflop you let a lot of inferior hands in to draw against you postflop. I would play these cards strong on a ragged flop. If the board is paired, suited or connected high and you are seeing a lot of raising, it is time to say sayonara to your rockets. This is the toughest part about playing AA: folding them.

S

Skaplun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok, I didn't read the last 4 pages. but to put things in prospective:
Aces are 80% against any hand. you know what that means?
out of 1000 times you have AA, you will lose 200 times. hell that sounds like a lot? Welcome to poker, you dont win every hand. you are a statistical favorite in some.

Weregoat

Weregoat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok, I didn't read the last 4 pages. but to put things in prospective:
Aces are 80% against any hand. you know what that means?
out of 1000 times you have AA, you will lose 200 times. hell that sounds like a lot? Welcome to poker, you dont win every hand. you are a statistical favorite in some.

Well, you didn't read the last four pages, but the majority of the discussion is about homosexuality, people eating poop for breakfast, bad beats, and playing aces post flop.

Playing aces preflop are the easiest thing in the world to do. However if you're always sitting at 200 BBs when you get AA, how often are you going to double up? Very rarely. Let's say 50 times for the sake of your example. So I've doubled up 50 times, stacked off and lost 200, and won a small to moderate amount of chips by my aces holding up 750 times.

The problem isn't the difficulty of playing them preflop (when you're most assuredly ahead), it's folding them when you're beat. And I can think of one instance when I did it. It was tough, but it was right.

I can also think of a million instances (well, more like 7-8) where they got cracked and I lost upwards of 200 BBs. I can think of two to three instances where I doubled up, or *sigh* knocked out a short stack with a set for a whole 30 BBs.

Weregoat

Weregoat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Did anyone else ever notice something about favorite hands that players play? What I am about to say has no statistacle merit or logic backing it up at all. Many players have their favorite hands that would allmost rather have than aces.
Doyle Brunson likes 10-2, since he won the WSOP with those cards. He continues to play those cards with a good success rate. My wife likes 9-10 and wins many pots with those cards. I personally like JQ and win 90% of the time with them.
Now I have tried Doyle's 10-2 and my wifes 9-10, but rarely ever hit with those cards. Why is it one players favorite cards will do well for them, but they don't work for another player? There seems to be no logic for this, but you have to have noticed this on the felt.

Hands like 10-2, 9-T, JQ, you can still fold when you're behind. So you don't lose as much money. It takes a lot to make an average player fold AA.

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Did anyone else ever notice something about favorite hands that players play? What I am about to say has no statistacle merit or logic backing it up at all. Many players have their favorite hands that would allmost rather have than aces.
Doyle Brunson likes 10-2, since he won the WSOP with those cards. He continues to play those cards with a good success rate. My wife likes 9-10 and wins many pots with those cards. I personally like JQ and win 90% of the time with them.
Now I have tried Doyle's 10-2 and my wifes 9-10, but rarely ever hit with those cards. Why is it one players favorite cards will do well for them, but they don't work for another player? There seems to be no logic for this, but you have to have noticed this on the felt.

You don't win 90% of the time with QJ. Show me PT3 % over a large sample and I'll believe you.

The difference with aces is that everyone remembers the bad beats because they forget they aren't 100% favourites.

brank

brank

Back in!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Now I have tried Doyle's 10-2 and my wifes 9-10, but rarely ever hit with those cards. Why is it one players favorite cards will do well for them, but they don't work for another player? There is no logic for this, but you have to have noticed this on the felt.

FYP. Dont mean to continue flamin this dude but seriously....

Also, Doyle doesnt like T2 at all. He spits(pretends to) on them after he tries to play them. He has stated that he has lost a lot of money playing that hand since he won the wsop 2x with them.

K

Kidsoldja

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"When I'm dealt pocket aces, unless a very obvious straight or flush flop comes out that fits into my opponents range, I'm okay with committing 100% of my remaining stack on any street. Why? I don't know, I can't fold this hand. Call it my weakness as a poker player."

This is the problem. You can't fold aces after the flop unless there are obvious straight or flush draws on the flop? Even if it's pretty clear someone has a set or two pair?

wouldnt it depend on how many players are in the pot with you? i mean AA is a great hand to start with, but its not great when you have 3 or 4 other people on the board with flush or str8 draws, thats an easy fold any day for me.

suit2please

suit2please

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wouldnt it depend on how many players are in the pot with you? i mean AA is a great hand to start with, but its not great when you have 3 or 4 other people on the board with flush or str8 draws, thats an easy fold any day for me.

How the hell you end up in a 4-5 way pot with pocket Aces is beyond me. Of course in freerolls and micro micro stakes there are some crazy calling stations.

B

Bovinity

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess I'm lucky, I have no problem coming off of my pocket aces if I get a whiff of a possible straight or flush or pretty much anything halfway decent and a strong better in the pot.

Maybe I'm a little too cautious about that sort of thing, but it's just a pair. I'm not stacking myself off with just one pair.

NeverFold

NeverFold

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

My favorite pocket pair cards is JJ. Everytime i had JJ, 1 always won a poker table game.:)

2wreckless

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It's simple,I'd love to have pocket aces every hand.But,here's the deal,if your playing in free-rolls or even micro's your always going to find those talented idiots staying with say j3,k2 57 and somehow (especially on certain sites) they seem to pull off a huge upset and you lose just a ton of money or chips(usually happens on the river btw)
But all in all you should win with your rockets more than lose with them.so,case closed..always love em'

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Had AA against K/10s today 4/1 agtainst, and the K/10 hit a straight, crippled me to 400 chips fought back and won the freeroll.

Getting Aces rolled just makes me all the more determined.

They do tend to get beat often though, a fish will call with an inferior hand, just expect the worst.

Weregoat

Weregoat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They don't get beat often, but when you're behind unless you are used to foldinig when you are behind, it's hard to see the raise as anythin other than a bluff.

I guess deep down my problem is I get caught up in my aces and don't pay enough attention to the story my opponents tell me about there hand.

And when I do pay attention, I rarely believe them. In live games though, there are ways to find out. :)

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
How the hell you end up in a 4-5 way pot with pocket Aces is beyond me. Of course in freerolls and micro micro stakes there are some crazy calling stations.

What size raise will keep the majority out, I've tried right up to all-in but still get multi-callers frequently, how do you discourage the stations hitting their runner runner flushes and straights.

Applies to pocket kings and queens as well.:eek:

S

soonerdel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to get the most out of pocket Aces learn how to play them post flop.
id take AA every hand if i could. if you dont like AA wtf do u like?

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fwiw, I like weregoat's posts - but I cringed when this was posted almost 2 months ago.

His point, I think, is a good one - it can be difficult to play AA postflop, while other hands are much easier - though of course those other hands are not as profitable over the long run (partly why they're easier to play - if you miss the flop, you generally fold, since they're low value unimproved).

However, I'm always amazed by how much traffic any thread titled "JJ/QQ/KK/AK are overrated/difficult/suck/whatever" can generate and feared that this thread would still be alive at the beginning of May. And of course today is the last day of May, and it's still kicking.

Random thoughts:

We all know that multiway AA/KK/QQ isn't nearly as strong as HU, so obviously we're a whole lot happier to be HU than multiway, and we're open raising/3betting/raising over limpers preflop to encourage getting HU.

That doesn't mean, though, that we ought to be raising in such a way w these hands that we're just going all in, or making a raise that is simply a huge steal, unless stacks are short - at 100bb's deep, that'd be silly unless we know that Villains are willing to stack off. If we're at 20bb's or less, then of course shoving makes sense (though it's exploitable if you're not shoving a wider range than that).

There's an entitlement problem w KK/AA in particular, a sense that these hands are such prohibitive favorites preflop that anyone stupid enough to call us when we have these hands deserve to lose their stacks, and we deserve to win their stacks. Postflop can be hard to play w these hands, because there's a good chance that others will bet hands worse than ours (draws, top pair) that we should be calling/shoving over as well as a good chance that substantial action means we're crushed (sets etc.). Reads on other players are critical here, as well as hand reading skills.

Siginificant multiway action on the flop should tell you at the very least that you're in potential trouble w your AA's. Depending on your reads on the situation (other players, board) you may be better off folding and looking for a better spot.

There's also a "fear factor" (don't know a better way to put it) that leads to concerns about someone calling pf, flop, and turn to try to catch a runner/runner winner. BUT we actually want them to do this, and want to be stuffing the pot w as much money as we think they'll call to attempt this. Sure, we're going to lose money when they hit, but think of how uncommon it is to actually hit (you're not calling substantial pf, flop, and turn bets to hit runner/runner, are you? why not?) and how much you'll win when it doesn't.

We're not trying to win every hand, nor are we entitled to win every time we raise preflop. Sometimes you do have to fold. If a tight passive player calls me pf when I'm holding AA and he check/raises the turn, and I'm unimproved, I'm going to have to think of a reason to continue in the hand more than I'm going to have to think of a reason to fold.

If you use either HEM or PT3 and have a significant number of hands played (say, 10K+, in which you will have been dealt AA somewhere around 47 times - fwiw 10K is actually not considered significant for most purposes, including this), look at the ranking of hands you've played by winrate and by $won. Seriously, if the highest ranked hand in both categories is NOT AA, there's something wrong with the way you're playing them. If you would rather be dealt any other hand, you're being superstitious.

/end rambling post

suit2please

suit2please

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Originally Posted by suit2please

What size raise will keep the majority out, I've tried right up to all-in but still get multi-callers frequently, how do you discourage the stations hitting their runner runner flushes and straights.

Applies to pocket kings and queens as well.:eek:

Im guessing you are playing freerolls and micro micro stakes?

I try not to do anything different when I have a good hand, stealing, or bluffing. Standard 3x-4x raises unless everyone feels like limping, then maybe something close to 3x + (0.5x-1x per limper). A 3x raise with 4 or 5 limpers already means that if 1 of them calls the rest can easily follow and is asking for a multiway pot.

So I guess their is no real "size" bet to keep the calling stations from calling, but you don't want to be always betting them out anyway.