How to play without emotion?

Anton Fedorov

Anton Fedorov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play in mom's house, only there I can play without non-censorship statements in the direction of opponents, RNG, and others)

najjah166

najjah166

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the emotion is negative when you do not talk about, so I was like you, but the fact talking about here in this wonderful forum, where people do not laugh at you, instead he advise you and they sympathize and share their own experience and reassure you that this feeling of anger they feel too, in these cases, you feel better and you say to yourself: I'm not the only one with that feeling, so you go ahead and you progress, anyway, that's my feeling, I progress in this direction and I take those emotions to better move forward in my game, and it works, good luck

M

Meepomancer1122

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I know that I'm going to go all in, I stop looking at the computer, drink a bit of water and then look again in about 30 second to see if I won or lost haha
Other than that, just always think about what your opponent could have and try to use it to your favor

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Preparing yourself for all possible actions of villain in the future and admiting that even when you lose, everything is under control.

T

thaliko86

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is an extremely exciting game by itself. I can not see poker dissociated from emotion, yet I believe that the constant practice of the game, many hands played and the familiarity that any player acquires over time are factors that help to soften the "most obvious reactions" or so-called "tells" that we notice a lot in beginning players or with little practice and vicence at the tables. Emotion is a crucial factor in the game and that's what makes it so admirable, but that does not mean you have to be nuts on the flop, or when you hit a flush on the turn ... Poker is thrill and control of emotions is part of what better composes a player, be it online or live.

K

kdawg71

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Keeping ones cool in a game is very difficult. When I am playing my best is when I am very focused on every aspect of my own game as well as my opponents game at the same time. During this time of what I call a transcedental state I don't allow anything to bother me and keep focused on my goal which is to maximizing my gains and minimizing my loses. These periods are few and far between, mind you. When I don't keep my cool, which happens more often, needless I am playing losing poker.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its tough to take emotion completely out of the game, but if you base your feelings on how you played the hand and not necessarily the outcome, it helps.

If I know I played the hand correctly and lost I can be ok knowing I played it right and got unlucky. If I played it wrong, I can focus on what I should have done differently.

fa1920

fa1920

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What do you do to control the emotions in poker?

From experience, you will get that. But it's much easier if you do not like poker and you only see it as a job

P

PokerDev

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, I have a meditation that works very well for me. Players like Bonomo and Charlie Carrell are the new breed advocating for mental game toughness via meditation. Highly recommended.

S

Souza322

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i thing, you only can do that with a lot o plays, experience works

Ricardo007

Ricardo007

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only way to win in poker is to bet, and the only way to win big is to bet a lot. Poker is a game of aggression, opportunity and focus. Also, as you master the basics of the game, you'll learn when you need to increase aggressiveness at the table, focus on what you're doing.

T

ThinkIllcallUwitha5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What's helped me recently is thinking about "did I get it in good/stick to my pre-chosen strategy", meaning did the right thing theoretically based on the information I had, instead of "did I win". Being results-oriented, as the latter is called, is always tilting, in my experience. When I'm results-oriented, I think of myself as a hero in a story and it feels wrong not to win every pot where I have a chance, and it feels wrong to let myself get maybe bluffed even if I'm out of position with a not-too-strong hand and can't do anything about it. But when I'm focusing on "did I stick to my strategy", I don't really feel anything when I lose, because I know I'll get 'em in the long run as long as I continue with that.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Always make the best decision.
Hold in your mind sometimes your best move will be trumped by some weird Villain or Site occurrence that you cannot control.
Accept what happens, don't dwell on it.
Keep playing your A game.

Anton Fedorov

Anton Fedorov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you can't cope with emotions, maybe you shouldn't play poker?

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
emotions pass with time . had also had a lot of emotion but with the amount of games and time is almost gone

es530

es530

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is necessary to make a separation between the player and the individual. so get up from the table let the game back and as soon as you sit down at the table to play let life back.

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the best way to handle emotions is to only play when your ok with losing. Now there are those times if feels like your just getting bullied out of pots, and this happens because we haven't build a proper image for ourselves at the table. The best way to combat this is to have a cheat sheet for ranges. I use RFI, Vs. RFI, Vs. 3Bet, and Squeezes. If you feel like your starting to make emotionally based discussions then pull these up and stick to them. If you pull them up and still fill the urge to go against them. This is probably a good time to take a break.

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Emotion

Not of to play without emotion but we need to try to have a good management of emotions especially when we lose a hand and another and another and we feel like the deck in offset or when we lose with AA after KK but that's part of the game need to be patient and play with the emotions and with our reason
I do not believe in a game where you play it only with reason and even the emotional factor counts a lot in poker

:jd4:mateuspoker

S

sibird

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you do to control the emotions in poker?

At school level i was very fond of reading detective novels. I used to read them all night and never felt tired or sleepy. Why? because i was interested in reading them. My heart was involved.

But when i read the school text books i felt like i was tiered or exhausted. Why? because my interest was less. My thought was how to pass the exam. My brain was more involved.

In poker you must utilize your brain as well as heart. With brain you can do all your mathematical calculations but you also need your heart to maintain your concentration in the game. Brain represents practicability of the things where as heart represents your emotions. For better results you need to utilize both of them.

I wonder why you are asking such question as 'how to play without emotions?".

T

ThinkIllcallUwitha5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Meditation is very good. The hardest guy to play against is a person who is really happy to just gamble and doesn't seem to care if he wins or loses. I can never tell if he's got 27o or AA. He's just happy and has a big smile when he bets but still has a good brain and doesn't do anything too stupid with too much of his stack. So if you can find inner peace or at least get closer to it, you can turn it into cash.

Probably not exactly what Buddha intended by teaching how to achieve enlightenment.

Danoncebay

Danoncebay

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will usually wear a shirt, I hate to show my arms at the table, for some strange reason, the coats or shirts make you more confident at the table. I guess the personal temperature has something to do with it.

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Emotions are the worst adviser in poker and insist great efforts to be controlled..

V

valanddon

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I only get emotional when poket AAs get cracked against
4,7 off suit!!