How to play without emotion?

dragunovich

dragunovich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play without emotions is impossible .. what is possible is to control them and the player who better controls them will take the advantage in a confrontation .. emotions will come to your mind and your body, you can not stop it, the only thing you can do is to recognize those emotions and channel them .. use them for your benefit .. for example I love to play in situations of tension .. situations that any could be afraid, I get excited ... many players call it "action". they talk a lot about looking for action .. they are aggressive players who get bored of playing tight, they do not find fun to wait for AA, they find it more sense to make a big bluff on the river with 72 ... I imagine you open this topic because you can not control the rage after a badbeat .. a solution may be to see some kind of video that makes you laugh or make your good vibe come back .. and of course stop playing at least 2 hours.

Gamer1

Gamer1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
курю сигареты и пью пиво что мне очень помогает в игре[emoji1]

Gamer1

Gamer1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
joke if seriously that a long absence at the tables is very motivating for a good game

bablo

bablo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In poker without emotions it does not work, it is impossible to observe calmly, because on the river they kill your best hand.

F

fastjob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play without emotions is impossible .. what is possible is to control them and the player who better controls them will take the advantage in a confrontation .. emotions will come to your mind and your body, you can not stop it, the only thing you can do is to recognize those emotions and channel them .. use them for your benefit .. for example I love to play in situations of tension .. situations that any could be afraid, I get excited ... many players call it "action". they talk a lot about looking for action .. they are aggressive players who get bored of playing tight, they do not find fun to wait for AA, they find it more sense to make a big bluff on the river with 72 ... I imagine you open this topic because you can not control the rage after a badbeat .. a solution may be to see some kind of video that makes you laugh or make your good vibe come back .. and of course stop playing at least 2 hours.
that anger is really one of the worst emotions - but we can not escape them - how much action I'm also in favor of going behind the game and not just watching - thanks for the opinion friend.

F

fastjob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To control their emotions you will help itself game, I mean many game, over time emotions go. If you are too emotional you should not play poker, it is better to choose a different path.

I try to be cool and calculating, but I still can not totally - but I'm getting better and better - Thanks for the tip.

A

ATruRube

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Watch Mikita Badziakousi, winner of back-to-back Triton Poker Main Event Titles, his playing style reveals very little about how he's feeling or when losing a big hand.

rafikjan

rafikjan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to play without emotion I think you need to have a lot of experience in poker

T

Top Top

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Keep telling yourself the magic words: "Today I do the best of my self to win this shit!" Play with less mistakes and make the best decisions when you should fold just fold and when you should go just go.Adjust your game according to your table and that will help you to keep in the best mood and in positive emotions.

AcooltartA

AcooltartA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Practice, practice, practice. The only way to learn to keep emotions in check is experience. I loooove playing in live games with players who typically only play online. They are soooo easy to read lol. When playing online though I do love being able to throw out the occasional "Whoop, whoop" or fist pump!!

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I pause for 5-10 seconds. This time is enough for me to start thinking with your head and not heart.

Fordeverest

Fordeverest

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After 1 liter of whiskey, I have a perfect opinion........Unfortunately I have not done anything yet.

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Time is the Best doctor. The more you play, the less emotions are.

clubsta

clubsta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Practice, practice, practice. The only way to learn to keep emotions in check is experience. I loooove playing in live games with players who typically only play online. They are soooo easy to read lol. When playing online though I do love being able to throw out the occasional "Whoop, whoop" or fist pump!!

Yup! Practice & experience.

And I'd add if you're interested: yoga & meditation, not only help for your poker game BUT YOUR ENTIRE LIFE! :elefant:

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think learning to take a beat well improves the level of ice in your veins. Next time you get a close beat try to keep from getting mad or sad from it. Just sort of take it in stride. Then you'll be open to learn perhaps to play different(maybe better) the next time.

H

havealittlefaith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't think about anything else besides the poker hand, simple as that. If you start thinking about the results and how you'll feel and how everyone at the table will react you're beating yourself. Only use your thoughts to walk yourself through the hand and make a decision, nothing else. It's very efficient and avoids all distractions.

xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
try to see it more from a mathematical and statistical side so the variance will be good patience:cool:

VisionNutz

VisionNutz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Practise.

The pros dont get where they are by being born as emotional robots. They have logged millions of hands.

Through this volume they have learned.

For leisure players who dont play as much. Just enjoy the journey. bankroll management etc.

B

bugiardops

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This question is very hard. I rarely give advice because many people can do it better. People teach you how you should play (strategy). But, why they not teach how to apply psychology? The strategy is much more important than psychology? I don't know. But I think that understanding and manipulating opponents and understanding and controlling yourself is better way for be a winner.

T

Tatomircg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you do to control the emotions in poker?
this i a tough one....i try to sit still and do nothing live poker....but always not just once or twice....and if u have emotions behind the tablet....or computer screen....who sees u there nobody....

VMVarga

VMVarga

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To control your emotions - you need to remove all expectations (for example: I have the last money - I need to urgently win - this is an expectation - and if there is an expectation, then you will have a lot of emotions) - Remove your expectations - and you will always be cold-blooded

Oh if only that were true. If I remove all expectations how do I understand expected value?

Seriously though, its not that easy to just remove all emotions and never get upset over a bad beat or a big loss, like getting knocked out right at the bubble, or before the final table.

I just had a hand where UTG preflop raiser holding 34suit called my lead out on a flop of 28J, and then reraised my turn bet, putting me and my pair of 8's all in. Turn was a 5. And yes, the 6 came on the river. I was defending my big blind against this guy who I had watched play loose and aggressive. Had him at 95% to 5% on the flop, and 80% to 20% on the turn. Those type of hands can really put your mental toughness to the test, and it is important to try to focus only on the part of the hand where you made a solid read and a good call. If you let those negative thoughts creep in and take over your mindset, you will not be able to continue to focus on the task at hand.

Mental toughness is very important in this game. Some people are naturally talented at controlling themselves and their emotions, and for them I would imagine that poker is much easier in the long run. But for everyone else it takes practice, just like practicing everything else about the game, in order to become proficient in the ability to shrug off past bad beats and mistakes. Learn from the mistakes and forget about the bad beats. You do not have control over anything else.

Also, meditation can help you develop some of these skills in mental toughness and focus. If you practice it a lot it can help you step outside of your own mind and thoughts, and help you calm down to where you are ready to put whatever it was that aggravated you in the past and move forward.

A

anderson697

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Control emotions is somewhat difficult, I think you must have a great emotional intelligence to do it, I personally to control it I just leave the table for a hand I relax and take the game again.:cool::cool:

A

anderson697

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This question is very hard. I rarely give advice because many people can do it better. People teach you how you should play (strategy). But, why they not teach how to apply psychology? The strategy is much more important than psychology? I don't know. But I think that understanding and manipulating opponents and understanding and controlling yourself is better way for be a winner.

Hey, it's a great reflection that you do, I've never seen it from that point of view. I will really keep it in mind from now on in my games.:cool::cool::cool: