• We would love to hear your thoughts! Click here to take a short survey on your CardsChat experience: Rate Your CardsChat Experience

Forum members receive 10 VIP Chips for participating (follow instructions on form).

How to play without emotion?

AlexDriver

AlexDriver

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's hard for me to control my emotions when bad beat happens. I think that only a bot can play a game like poker without emotions.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Controlling Emotions at the Tables

The first thing you should do to control your emotions while playing poker is to never play with more money than you are willing to lose. Then, tell yourself, it doesn't matter if I lose this money because I can afford it. if you do those two things than when you start losing money you just remind yourself it doesn't matter because you can afford to lose this money.
The second thing to do when playing cash games specifically is to stop thinking about the chips as money. Think about the chips as nothing mroe than chips. Those chips represent play money or nothing at all. What you are trying to do is literally trick yourself into not caring about what you're playing with. If you don't care what you play with you'll find it a lot easier to control your emotions when you do lose.
Now, something to consider that is just as important is controlling your emotions when you win a big hand. That adrenaline and excitement you feel can push you off your A-game just as quickly as getting angry. Ever win big only to lose it all over the next few orbits? That's because you got some adrenaline in you and it's making you alter your game thinking you are almost invincible with the hands you're dealt.
So, reduce the importance of the stakes you are playing and control yourself when you do win big and you'll be on your way to controlling your emotions at the tables.

GordyPoker

GordyPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You get immune to all the bad beats - that it turns you into a robot

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
emotion

Impossible to play without emotion in my opinion

What we need is to master or have management of emotions

So that they do not affect both their future moves but play without emotion is not playing poker since poker has always many situations that cause the increase of adrenaline

:jd4:mateuspoker

Reload

Reload

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a good question, and only a few can deal with this, making them top players, because it's all about accepting the game has it is. I would say that you're there to have fun, sure you will lose many hands, but don't get too serious about it.

nop9gok

nop9gok

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you do to control the emotions in poker?

when I play poker, and I'm nervous, I get up from the table, take the weight and lift it 10 times with each hand. If this does not help, wash your face with cold water. If this does not help, I take a glass of whiskey, turn on classical music. If that doesn't help either, I take the mouse and throw it to the wall, watch it fly to many parts, and I have a poker face))

nop9gok

nop9gok

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The first thing you should do to control your emotions while playing poker is to never play with more money than you are willing to lose. Then, tell yourself, it doesn't matter if I lose this money because I can afford it. if you do those two things than when you start losing money you just remind yourself it doesn't matter because you can afford to lose this money.
The second thing to do when playing cash games specifically is to stop thinking about the chips as money. Think about the chips as nothing mroe than chips. Those chips represent play money or nothing at all. What you are trying to do is literally trick yourself into not caring about what you're playing with. If you don't care what you play with you'll find it a lot easier to control your emotions when you do lose.
Now, something to consider that is just as important is controlling your emotions when you win a big hand. That adrenaline and excitement you feel can push you off your A-game just as quickly as getting angry. Ever win big only to lose it all over the next few orbits? That's because you got some adrenaline in you and it's making you alter your game thinking you are almost invincible with the hands you're dealt.
So, reduce the importance of the stakes you are playing and control yourself when you do win big and you'll be on your way to controlling your emotions at the tables.

you write everything correctly, but how the mind will control emotions is very difficult

F

fastjob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when I play poker, and I'm nervous, I get up from the table, take the weight and lift it 10 times with each hand. If this does not help, wash your face with cold water. If this does not help, I take a glass of whiskey, turn on classical music. If that doesn't help either, I take the mouse and throw it to the wall, watch it fly to many parts, and I have a poker face))

I fear that keeping calm is the best method, but there are days when nothing is certain and the will to break something.:cool:

nop9gok

nop9gok

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I fear that keeping calm is the best method, but there are days when nothing is certain and the will to break something.:cool:

I agree, the best way, but meeting with the incredible, logically inconsistent, I can not stand, what then?

scobido

scobido

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can not play without feeling, I'm biting my heart when I have something big in my hand

diego farfan

diego farfan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
I try to think about sad moments of my life so that my happiness is not very obvious with a great hand

scobido

scobido

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
so I still avoid playing live games, but I will still try once to play a smaller bet.

ACESOVEREZZZ

ACESOVEREZZZ

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Emotions

I don't see how poker can be played without emotions being a factor. Key is not showing your emotions in a live game setting. If in live game setting learn to watch others movements such as picking up little hints like when a player has a good hand they might hold cards with two hand VS on , stare down at their chips and avoid all eye contract etc. A lot can be learned from watching others " emotions" --- gestures.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
to turn off your emotions listen to music that will calm you down and enjoy playing poker when I'm too emotional I eat a lot and when I'm angry I eat sweets and it helps me a lot and I'm calm right away I think everyone has their own method of calm

EnzoRS94

EnzoRS94

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Just play responsibly, and with money you can afford to lose.
Simple!

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I learned that emotions cannot be controlled.

To control something takes reasoning and when you're taken by emotion you're not reasoning.

What you can do is be aware of the situations that can make certain emotions arise and act before they do.

So let's say that you're about to hit a full house on the turn and you do.

You know that when this happens you usually gets really excited and hyperventilate so before the turn comes you start a special breathing exercise that will enable you to not hyperventilate and take a more thought of action.

Get it?

Not easy but controlling an emotion is even harder since it is impossible.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Managing your emotions is the most important component of the behavior of a successful player and a successful person in life. Before the game, successful players always warm up.During your correct thoughts, in a state of concentration on the game, crossings, bet beats and so on will fly past your psychological state.You understand - this is poker, everything can be, only you cannot be different, you can only play in a state of complete psychological balance, without unnecessary emotions.Emotions always come after thought, conscious or unconscious.In order not to experience unnecessary emotions during the game, we do two things - we fill our heads with what is necessary during the session, and initially set complete calmness to any events, readiness to calmly accept any events.

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How about no emotion? So I just play for them. Won well, lost well too. But they could strip you down to your underpants.:D

rafaelxispa

rafaelxispa

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Controlling emotions in poker is essential for making rational decisions and maintaining a competitive edge. To manage emotions, practice mindfulness and deep breathing exercises to stay calm and focused. Develop a solid pre-game routine, and set realistic expectations. Avoid emotional triggers like tilt by analyzing your mistakes and learning from them. Remember to take breaks, maintain a healthy lifestyle, and consistently work on your mental game to build emotional resilience over time

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
No matter how strange it may sound, but I will say this: you just need to accustom yourself to never experience negative emotions, because when you experience them, you make yourself feel worse, spoiling your mood. If you understand this, it is easier to deal with the influx of emotions...

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hello brother.
Speaking of MTT in truth I almost have no emotion.
Playing poker I'm cold as an iceberg.
The law of mathematical possibilities helps a lot.
Sometimes depending on how the hand comes I make mathematical possibilities until the river seeing the flop.
The study of the table both cash and MTT bte also helps a lot with emotions.
There are bingo players, very firm players, lots of bluffs, and so on.
You must control all that in one table.
See how you should play each player.
For that, the study of the positions at the table is essential, at least for me.
And for me, the fundamental thing is to know and be aware that luck exists both for you and for the adversary.
It is a very clear way to overcome badbeats.
My regards, brother:giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:

Ruslan L

Ruslan L

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
What do you do to control the emotions in poker?
I play freerolls :)
I play, have fun and increase my bankroll by playing freerolls, so the emotions I get while playing are only positive. I don't invest my own money to play, I have enough money that I won in freerolls, so I'm always calm and never nervous.

muzenza2012

muzenza2012

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
to play you need to be calm, carefree, but at the same time determined, never play with money you need, and never try to recover lost money, right after another tournament, stop, breathe and play another day

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Humans are emotional beings; you cannot control it. In fact there is plenty of evidence that shows if we try to suppress our emotions, the fallout is greater than if we embrace them.

Instead of trying to control our emotions, we should pay attention to them and try to understand why we get upset, angry, frustrated etc.. Often when we understand why we are feeling a certain way it helps us to recover more quickly.