1Payou

1Payou

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Spend?

There are so many free accessible ways now that allow you to study and learn poker. Such as forums such as Cardschat to name one. Youtube also has more than enough great videos. You can find a lot of good Streamers also to follow.

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
These weeks little and nothing, almost no time due to the work that became a bit annoying, but God willing, starting next week much more. I usually study 1 hour a day.:)

S

Sham3415

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The truth is I never paid and I don't know if I would because I don't have time and money either haha ​​I'm only interested in freerroll

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
To be honest I only ever bought one book, and that was called the "Mammoth book of Poker" it goes into detail on all different poker game's and has whole chapters dedicated to each Format, Holdem, Stud, Omaha, Razz and many more.
All the other book's I own were gifts from Family and Friend's who know my passion for the game, sometimes I get them for Christmas, Birthday's or Father's Day presents, and some have nothing to do with how to play, but are about the History of Poker and where some legends came from Like the "Dead man's Hand" Ace's and Eight's.
I once got Chris Moneymaker's game on Hold-em for the computer one year, and beat it the first time I played, as the program was so easy to beat, if you know how to play reasonably well. I passed it on to a friend who was wanting to learn how to play and even he beat it within a couple of week's, and he gave it back to me.
I don't think I will ever get rid of that game! Ha Ha!

When the fun Stops, STOP!

T

theStarfish

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I would like to study more than I do now. A few years ago I spend several hours per week watching videos and reading articles. I still have some books I need to read and usually I enjoy studying Poker, so I hope to have more time again.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I spend 3-4 hours a day studying the game.

Piligrin66

Piligrin66

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It took me a month to learn poker, and then you need to use your intuition, patience and, of course, luck, without which there will be no luck in poker.

R

robshere2008

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I strongly believe that if you are trying to become a good competent poker player, the tools are out there for free, having the willingness to learn will go further than throwing money at the want to learn. When you look at the $999 price tag on some of the masterclass courses out there they are trying to advertise it as the golden key to improving you to a winning player without putting in the hard work because they have done it for you, In reality its all widely shared info neatly presented with the odd quiz at the end. You may be better off rolling up your sleeves putting an hour aside a day, putting pencil to paper, finding information that speaks to you, analyse poker training videos on youtube, watch saved youtube streams of past live events listening to the points that the commentators are making. when there are 2 in the booth they tend to bounce strategy off each other and often trying to showcase their knowledge to the viewers and be helpful to the casual viewers, that is often gold, take in what they are saying and think like them, question plays, find things that are suggested that differ from how you play, implement changes, poker is like a language, pick it up by immersing yourself in it. Eventually you will become consciously competent after a lot of time spent somewhere in the middle, frustrated, not knowing where you are, it will come if you keep at it but don't expect it to happen overnight. Side note, I'm nowhere near competent myself in terms of poker this is just how i see the approach to studying and the approach that i personally would like to take. Willingness to learn something will be the driving force

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
a standard approach to study theory 2-3 hours a day + analysis of your base, and of course practice is important, you need to try to play more

D

denis_og79

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
there is so much good content on the internet and for free

B

beatlebug

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do read books and watch many people who help to explain the game. It is not so bad but I do spend money on the books. I'd say probably about 30.00 for the books.

Beatlebug

misterwilliams

misterwilliams

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Few hours a month...

In my experience, the best teacher is practice. Followed by studying the choices I am and identifying weaknesses. Recently I reviewed an analysis of my tournament play and found a pattern of behavior; I was losing tournaments because I was going all in. I would lose a few hands, bluff when I should have folded, then go all-in at some point.

Identifying this pattern did wonders for my game. I rarely go all-in pre-flop now. Without studying my own hands, I would have never recognized the error of my ways. You can read book after book; however, you must assess your patterns and weaknesses to improve.

B

bugiardops

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lately I'm withholding my studies (unfortunately).

coolDadJimbo

coolDadJimbo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i have about 8 actual paper books on poker and about 12 pdfs of books. i've read 6 of the 8 paper and only 3 of the 12 pdfs.... i always have a book in the car for when the wife runs into the store....

plus i watch youtube vids by guys like evan jarvis, john little, nathan williams, james sweeney, alex fitzgerald.... and smart poker study and greenbean channels have some great content....

also the poker mind coach channel has some great podcasts with top players on their mental game... i listen to these while driving.

i probably put in at least 2 hours per day lately. i try to play friday, saturday and sunday.... break monday, study more than play on tuesday/weds/thurs...

studying is super important. there will always be some tidbit of advice in any video.

btw, watching phil helmuth blowup isnt studying lol

vonabruch

vonabruch

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I study independently from free sources, Internet forums, videos on youtobe. poker groups in Discord and twitch there are often open trainings with detailed analyzes of situations at the poker table

S

Stollpe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am currently not spending anything. Have to review some of the BBZ videos I received and I am thinking about getting a bundle there. Currently I only using free resources.

V

viacheslavtezikov

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Now I don't spend to study poker, but when I did it I spent several hours a week.

oarroyo

oarroyo

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PY
Chips
I started practicing in play money, but it was like an investment when starting the games with real money, when I was losing! Today only positive balances !! Thanks god

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I used to buy books, and have subscriptions to Bluff Magazine and Cardsplayer Magazine. That was when I was under the illusion that I was going to be good.

Now I use the forum here, watch free videos online and get Cardsplayer for free. ( they email me the latest downloadable copy each month.

Haha...awesome...I know exactly how you feel.
I bought PT4 with early winnings.
Couple of books (latest is JL's Excelling at NLH)

I too realise that I will never be great, because of my poor discipline and tendency to tilt after a bad beat. I know how to play good poker...I just keep failing to do so.

Cheers,
ObbleeXY

Subel007

Subel007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3-4hours in a week,but its not enough

H

Hemified

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Alot 😆..no i don't think its about how much money compared to experience..lol. its all about practice really, so the cheaper you can play is the key in the beginning. Good luck and remember to have fun crushing em. :D

E

El_Matt

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Time instead of money

It really is way more important to spend time than to spend a lot of money when studying poker. There are some good books, no doubt about that, but in the end you can find so much information in the internet that you don't really need any books any more.

I miss the old days when books still mattered a lot :)