How do you study poker?

lukovnikofff

lukovnikofff

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually just analyze my mistakes made during the game, watch the broadcasts of professional players with open cards and try to understand their logic of actions! I would like to get into some kind of poker school, but there are too many criteria for selection and it takes too much time to train, unfortunately I do not have so much free time as I have my main job! I would like to get into some kind of group of good players who could help me, and I could be of some use, but unfortunately I can't find such! I try to spend more time learning about poker but things get bad over time! Good luck at the tables!

mateuszjason

mateuszjason

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
after end session i chose a 5 hardest pots for me, and put them in software and shows how computer will play them,
im watching the best players on twitch, im watching a wideos on youtube.

talking with friends and a players at forum.

S

seraxel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I use a mix of videos, books, and reviewing hands. I like to try to pick a topic and focus on that for a few weeks, then shift to a new topic or area of focus.

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Start with the hands that knock you out of tournaments. Study these hands thoroughly and look for patterns/indications that may lead you to clues about leaks in your own game. ;)

I found this tip very important. I would just add that in addition to the hands where you are eliminated, it is good to study hands where you played too deeply and lost.

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
One thing I usually do is jot down the hands I play where there was some more important action. Then I read my own notes and comment on them. Days later I read the text and think about my actions in those situations. It's also good to know your opponents at the table. That way you'll know the odds that that raise is because it's dominating you or not.
In the poker strategy and Rules section here of the Forum there is also very good content. I think it should be basic reading for everyone. Even those who are already experienced.

Havik

Havik

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Give me some examples of how you study poker. For me I do it with what decisions you make with this card or that card. Early or late positions on how people react to certain situations. I know my card rankings of what beats this and that been known that for years. I honestly think everybody's got their own style of studying.

My style of study I think I'm seeing some better results. I also watch how other pro players play and try to pick their brains wondering what was on that players mind when they made this decision. I know there are hand reviews, pot odds, ICM's, poker ranges, spots to bluff. I look into some of those things but I don't buy too much stock into it because in poker everything is situational and you have to adapt.

YouTube mostly, looking for new methods.

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Studying Poker

Give me some examples of how you study poker. For me I do it with what decisions you make with this card or that card. Early or late positions on how people react to certain situations. I know my card rankings of what beats this and that been known that for years. I honestly think everybody's got their own style of studying.

My style of study I think I'm seeing some better results. I also watch how other pro players play and try to pick their brains wondering what was on that players mind when they made this decision. I know there are hand reviews, pot odds, ICM's, poker ranges, spots to bluff. I look into some of those things but I don't buy too much stock into it because in poker everything is situational and you have to adapt.

Cardschat Learning Resources

It is of interest to me how many players on CC who have actually completed the 30 day poker course as its extremely good and relevant, if you combine this learning resource with the poker tools available on CC then you are on the right track in terms of study.

Twitch

I would recommend the following streamers to follow in Twitch as they take time to explain their thought processes and provide a great deal of poker learning content with situations that we all come up against.

1. Kevin Martin - this guy is superb and for me, the best poker streamer out there..
2. Spraggy
3. Jaime Staples
4. Lex Veldhuis

PokerGo App

I have a subscription here to keep up to date with games and live events around the globe.

BBZ

Im not a fan of subscription based learning and especially streamers who promote these due to an affiliation but this resource library is one of, if not the best out there in my opinion.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I found this tip very important. I would just add that in addition to the hands where you are eliminated, it is good to study hands where you played too deeply and lost.

Yes!

When I took this practice to its conclusion, I found that I was playing too many hands (and calling too many post flop bets).

Then, that practice led me to the discovery that either: a) players call too much or b) fold too much on flops. This (ran to its conclusion) led me to the art of taking very tiny stabs at pots (with enormous success!). :)

balo

balo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
I do not study a lot, I feel confident when I play my own style of poker in tournaments.

But I do follow both YouTube and Twitch channels, and pick up a few tips now and then.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Analizing your own played hands by a GTO program continues being the best way to evolve your poker game.

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually record my poker sessions and then I look on them and make improvements in my game

N

Negan92222

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you have to do this "studying" to avoid making rash decisions atleast for myself.

NightStalker

NightStalker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I study poker from youtube channels.

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
For me the best way to study poker is by analyzing your game history ( only If You have play more than a year). try to see when and how the winning and loosing series happen. To watch others (mainly pro) doesn`t help much. :deal:

LingCod907

LingCod907

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Reviewing what I did that game, how I was mentally, and how were the players at the table.

I also read books, watch YouTube video (Mainly Jonathan little). I will research areas I having problems with.

T

theStarfish

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
There are several ways to study poker. I watch videos from players who analyse hands or read some hand analyses here. I also read books. You also can talk to other players about how they would have played the hand. And I try to think about some hands I played try to recognise mistakes and ask myself if I could have played some hands differently.

M

Memphis legend

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I pick 1 subject a week, like dry and wet boards with c-betting, Monday I'll watch a video from Little, or Polk, or Torelli on the subject. then I'll play the rest of the day, and try and get in a situation I can c-bet. that's easily gonna happen. then from they're teachings I try and decide is this a dry or wet board? do I have position?... Tuesday I'll find some books on the subject, and read that the rest of the week, and playing every day. The next week I'll repeat with a different subject I pick.

Good Luck

p.s just a little easy exercise on odds.... if your dealt pocket needles, what are the odds you'll get one on the flop?

thetaxman1

thetaxman1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You could do 10000 hands against penny ante poker bots. Or you could follow all the links on CC:D:D:D

It might be a cool poker business model to just build a training site AI to follow play and create all kinds of training scenarios. Alas all my bright ideas are usually already taken.

T

Tails97

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure if this is allowed, but I use this free site ThePokerBank.com and it is brilliant!
Well written and an easy read.

W

waynaldo009

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing as many games as I can and reading this forum. Youtube videos as well.

duri32

duri32

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to watch twitch streams. For example Kevin Martin,Spraggy or Lex Veldhuis

T

THGE10

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
I read on the poker forums (cardchat is one of them), read some discussions about hands that were played and how to play pre-flop and after-flop. After that, I try to apply it to the game, but the conditions always change and adaptations are necessary all the time.