How do you study poker?

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I pick 1 subject a week, like dry and wet boards with c-betting, Monday I'll watch a video from Little, or Polk, or Torelli on the subject. then I'll play the rest of the day, and try and get in a situation I can c-bet. that's easily gonna happen. then from they're teachings I try and decide is this a dry or wet board? do I have position?... Tuesday I'll find some books on the subject, and read that the rest of the week, and playing every day. The next week I'll repeat with a different subject I pick.

Good Luck

p.s just a little easy exercise on odds.... if your dealt pocket needles, what are the odds you'll get one on the flop?

Needles in the hole, and you'd like to know the odds of flopping the set?

We'd use 50 unknown cards as our base, and easily can calculate the odds of NOT flopping a set:

(48/50) x (47/49) x (46/48)

This product is the fraction 103,776/117,600 which can be represented as .8824489... or rounded, .88 or 88%.

This means you DON'T flop a set (or quads for that matter) 88% of the time, which implies that you do flop a set (or quads) 12% of the time...or roughly 1/8 (which we all know from memory is about the odds of flopping a set with any pair). :)

Yay!

Aleks75

Aleks75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi!:)I'm new to poker.):eek:
Last year I started to study the game in depth, as I was tired of flying out at an early stage and losing money.The first thing I did was swear to myself not to make a deposit.That's why I play freerolls.:I'm learning poker like this:
1. Watched the training courses (25,40,13 lessons).
2. I read and analyze articles from poker sites about improving the base game.
3. I watch the games of regular abi -5-50 every day.
4. Sometimes I conduct an independent analysis of disputed hands or publish them in a Card Chat.
5. When I switch to a regular abi 5 game, I will go through several paid training sessions.:joyman:
And I will analyze my mistakes in H2N every day.

TirariAchref

TirariAchref

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
TN
Chips
You need to watch pro how to play and learn from them watch the final tables of pokerstars tournaments in youtube.

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
watch various videos that are in the public domain, you can work in solvers, although for novice players it will be quite difficult, and of course play more, the more practice the better, even as an option it is to work out with a coach

poxerator78

poxerator78

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I study on freerolls. I watch streamers, there are a lot of such videos on YouTube for free, I read various articles about poker and chat
watching final table analysis ,,,
The main thing is to learn not to bluff.
take into account the pot odds, control your stack,

VikyGia

VikyGia

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi

Watching tutorials, and learning from the pros.

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I watched a few courses, but it's hard to stick to the theory sometimes.

sergui72

sergui72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I take everything from the experience of the hands played. I read articles sometimes. How to play with a pair of aces, for example, etc. I adhere to psychology, I play intuitively.

S

stil370

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
for me watching accomplished players on twitch playing in tournaments who explain what they are doing

P

PLAYFUL1

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
3 THINGS to remember is PLAY PLAY and PLAY

B

Backlash

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I recently took a few months off and dedicated almost all my free time to watching poker and learning how to break hands down.

Pawlowski

Pawlowski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing, watching some good ones, looking for some nice videos (like the ones we have here) and reading articles.

kbuinowski

kbuinowski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i have some videos that i watch. if i'm not sure i'll send email to a friend and he will explain it to me on how i should play that hand.

blackknives

blackknives

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
you mean studying the cards and pot odds, probabilities? that could be one area to get familiar with. studying opponents i suppose, but best = inner reflection, to control emotion when times are tough

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Give me some examples of how you study poker. For me I do it with what decisions you make with this card or that card. Early or late positions on how people react to certain situations. I know my card rankings of what beats this and that been known that for years. I honestly think everybody's got their own style of studying.

My style of study I think I'm seeing some better results. I also watch how other pro players play and try to pick their brains wondering what was on that players mind when they made this decision. I know there are hand reviews, pot odds, ICM's, poker ranges, spots to bluff. I look into some of those things but I don't buy too much stock into it because in poker everything is situational and you have to adapt.

Here is a quality poker class - free to all CardsChat members...

Become a Winning Poker Player in 30 Days | (Day 3) (cardschat.com)

Good luck !

andreypuch

andreypuch

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I read books, watched poker shows on TV, watched YouTube.

nejmasni

nejmasni

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How i study poker

Reading poker books (body language ones are my fav :D)
Watching poker shows (High stakes poker, Premier league poker, The Big Game, etc)
Analysing poker hands
Playing cash games and tournaments (online and live)

Robin Moura

Robin Moura

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can watch the podcast here or you can watch videos and courses on which the poker sites themselves offered are provided right here on the forum many good ones that will have an extensive and complete article of study about poker.

D

denis_og79

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
through videos, forums (cardschat) and groups

lyki67

lyki67

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
I thing about my play in some situations. Have I make mistake? Should I play differently at that time? I watch videos on youtube and WPT live stream.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Nowadays, playing (learning with my and the others mistakes) and watching the pros.
Sometimes I come back to my books, when I get the inspiration for it.

blackknives

blackknives

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
watching vids, getting used to hands and the pot odds calculations
and playing a lot in general
studying the player (im not good at this but if they are regulars like friends, you'll pick some stuff up, just don't give up any info either)