How do you study poker?

Sivraj

Sivraj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Give me some examples of how you study poker. For me I do it with what decisions you make with this card or that card. Early or late positions on how people react to certain situations. I know my card rankings of what beats this and that been known that for years. I honestly think everybody's got their own style of studying.

My style of study I think I'm seeing some better results. I also watch how other pro players play and try to pick their brains wondering what was on that players mind when they made this decision. I know there are hand reviews, pot odds, ICM's, poker ranges, spots to bluff. I look into some of those things but I don't buy too much stock into it because in poker everything is situational and you have to adapt.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
now I don't study poker but I play it :), but at a fairly low level :); the experience you get playing helps you the most, in my opinion and if you want a little more there are enough videos on youtube / internet in which valuable poker players give you advice on how you could play or play certain hands:)

G

Great Big Pair

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do hand reviews from my PT4 every day before I play. Not necessarily right before I play, but I don't play until I've done some review.

I'll ask myself why I did or didn't bet/raise/fold in a spot and if my logic holds. I'll do equity calculations. I'll also sometimes do a pre-flop range calculation on villain's possible hand and narrow it down through the streets. See if I'm right at the end of the hand.

I do watch YouTube videos, but not a ton. Maybe 10 mins a day on average. Just clips from livestreamers mostly, but I make sure they are playing the same stakes/games as I am.

I also watch some instructional content. If you're a micro/small stakes player I'd take a look at Microgrinder Poker School. Their courses have good content that you can purchase which I prefer over a subscription model. I watch one or two videos of this type of content most days.

Slow and steady wins with learning/studying in my opinion.

Delenia

Delenia

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I have found it quite interesting to watch some of the twitch streamers that talk thru their plays. It has been surprising to hear their reasoning for the plays they make. Not that I agree with all their strategies, but it is interesting to hear the different thoughts of the players out there.

VITOS

VITOS

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I do this.
Analyzing gaming sessions is one of the most effective ways to learn poker. At the same time, it is also one of the most difficult ways. In order to properly analyze your gaming sessions, you need to be objective and self-critical.

In addition, additional poker software is needed to analyze gaming sessions. But getting it is half the trouble (this, by the way, can be done for free in our store) you also need to be able to use it. The thematic articles that are located on our website under the tag "Poker software" will help you learn how to use poker software correctly.

Forums and communication with other players.
Often, if players doubt the correctness of the hand draw or just want to get a look from the outside, they turn to poker forums and post their hands in special branches. We also have our own forum where you can discuss poker theory or start a hand to evaluate it by professional players.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Give me some examples of how you study poker. For me I do it with what decisions you make with this card or that card. Early or late positions on how people react to certain situations. I know my card rankings of what beats this and that been known that for years. I honestly think everybody's got their own style of studying.

My style of study I think I'm seeing some better results. I also watch how other pro players play and try to pick their brains wondering what was on that players mind when they made this decision. I know there are hand reviews, pot odds, ICM's, poker ranges, spots to bluff. I look into some of those things but I don't buy too much stock into it because in poker everything is situational and you have to adapt.

Start with the hands that knock you out of tournaments. Study these hands thoroughly and look for patterns/indications that may lead you to clues about leaks in your own game. ;)

duderino89

duderino89

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally don't like to study poker in the traditionel way by memorizing charts and ranges.
For me there is 2 ways to get poker at poker. Either by memorizing charts or by understanding how they calculated the charts.
Trying to understand how ranges compare to each other how ranges change if the villain has other ranges as expected will help me more in the long run. Beeing able to adjust is better to play textbook poker.
Both ways can make you profit - but poker isn't only about profit for me. It is about learning to improve on your own strenghts. I like to overthink spots overplay certain spots - because only if i start making mistakes i can learn from them.
So i personally like to save up lots of hands and watch over them - think about the spot - think where i went wrong.
But even i use equity-calculators to see if my assumption is correct. So it is a mixture of:
Reviews, learning by doing, learning by making mistakes - and trying to understand the complexity of every situation.

Also i really enjoy sharing hands with people from the community - trying to get as many thoughts to it and sharing experiences - since even if you don't think a tip can help you improve your game - it can help you understand the game of other players!

Last edited:
Igor G

Igor G

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I'm just learning from my mistakes. Each time, I analyze my game, my good or bad decisions. I've been playing poker for over 5 years, and during that time I've improved my game quite a bit. I hope that now that I have become a member of the CardsChat community, I will be able to be more effective and develop and improve my game faster.

Sivraj

Sivraj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally don't like to study poker in the traditionel way by memorizing charts and ranges.
For me there is 2 ways to get poker at poker. Either by memorizing charts or by understanding how they calculated the charts.
Trying to understand how ranges compare to each other how ranges change if the villain has other ranges as expected will help me more in the long run. Beeing able to adjust is better to play textbook poker.
Both ways can make you profit - but poker isn't only about profit for me. It is about learning to improve on your own strenghts. I like to overthink spots overplay certain spots - because only if i start making mistakes i can learn from them.
So i personally like to save up lots of hands and watch over them - think about the spot - think where i went wrong.
But even i use equity-calculators to see if my assumption is correct. So it is a mixture of:
Reviews, learning by doing, learning by making mistakes - and trying to understand the complexity of every situation.

Also i really enjoy sharing hands with people from the community - trying to get as many thoughts to it and sharing experiences - since even if you don't think a tip can help you improve your game - it can help you understand the game of other players!

I don't get into the chart ranges memory thing too much cause I know anybody at anytime can lose some with some of those cards.

duderino89

duderino89

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't get into the chart ranges memory thing too much cause I know anybody at anytime can lose some with some of those cards.

Well even though as stated above i don't like studying it neither, you can't deny that it ensures always a profitable outcome.
And i am not too sure what you mean with it so i try to answer as best as i can.
Yes when playing ranges you can lose the hand even if played perfectly because the opponent has a better hand. And even if you get your hand all-in ahead you can also loose it at any point.
But - over the long run (law of large numbers) your hand will be ahead of the opponents range. So if you play the same spot thousands of times you will win more then 50% of the time.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am reviewing open poker practice sessions. I analyze my game after the session. I watch tournaments with open cards.

Stasey

Stasey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I analyze my previous tournaments for 2-3 hours per week and watch mtt analysis on youtube channels.

Z

zapadlol

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all! I am learning more information for poker with 30 Day Video Tutorials from Gripsed! Is free!

filippfilm

filippfilm

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

I mostly read books, I just like to read since childhood. But many people watch video lessons and so on, someone takes coaches, but as I understand there are few good coaches and they are not cheap. Although the books say that they are out of date, I still draw from them a lot of new things for poker.:jd4::):jd4:

Sivraj

Sivraj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well even though as stated above i don't like studying it neither, you can't deny that it ensures always a profitable outcome.
And i am not too sure what you mean with it so i try to answer as best as i can.
Yes when playing ranges you can lose the hand even if played perfectly because the opponent has a better hand. And even if you get your hand all-in ahead you can also loose it at any point.
But - over the long run (law of large numbers) your hand will be ahead of the opponents range. So if you play the same spot thousands of times you will win more then 50% of the time.

That's a good point. I think the point I was making with memorizing poker ranges is that I try memorizing them and at times they work and at times they don't. But I guess that's just my freestyle strategy I play with open and close ranges.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We need more such minded poker players. It will, of course, become more difficult to play, but there will be many beautiful analytical rallies, battles of intellectuals.

DanielSnrL

DanielSnrL

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mostly read books, I just like to read since childhood. But many people watch video lessons and so on, someone takes coaches, but as I understand there are few good coaches and they are not cheap. Although the books say that they are out of date, I still draw from them a lot of new things for poker.:jd4::):jd4:

I believe that exchanging ideas about certain hands or situations with other players on the forums is more profitable than paying a coach.

The money you would pay for a good coach, invest in your buy-ins.

dongato2

dongato2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I study poker watching videos and analyzing my played hands

L

Luisma231

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hello

If it is very good to study poker and see professional players, take notes etc but when it comes to personal play the best thing is to be and act cold, I think modestly is the best strategy.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have no time for such studies. I get by with the experience that I have already gained.

N

nutself

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm very interested in learning poker strategies, but I find it is hard to apply those learned tactics at the table, maybe experiences are more importance than theories.