jose_saleh

jose_saleh

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
I have a little calulation in Excel to know my odds on getting something nice at turn/river. Its not something great, but at least helps me know if the risk of calling some bets is worth.

RagNar87

RagNar87

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
i studied 2 years ago when i was trying to improve my game :D now no more ... i guess no time for that

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't have time to do this. And I think I need it. I don't play big.

mattiebumpo

mattiebumpo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yes. I watch videos, read, and try to participate in study groups.

werty328

werty328

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I used to gather dust to do it but I can’t do it, I rely more on the professionalism of the game,

Canaldo Kao

Canaldo Kao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I always watch several videos of great Poker professionals playing to assimilate along with my knowledge!👀👀

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Poker of course HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
I really dont know other way to answer this XD
Aint a bluff man
God bless XD

Well I'm shocked to hear this. You had me fooled... I thought for sure that you were bluffing when you said that you study)

rhoudini

rhoudini

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
This is something really important. Assuming we are all amateurs and we probably don't have full time to dedicate to poker, many times we need to choose how to invest our time: if playing or studying.
I was playing almost every day, and my results were not the best. Now I am implementing a different strategy. I am dedicating specific times in my week only for study and analyze my game. And I play as many tournaments as I can only in saturdays now.
First, I have noticed a good improvement in my game (and also in my results). Second, I noticed that now I have more time to my family and for my other tasks that I need to do. Third, I am much more focused when playing seriously in the saturday.
And I am really happy with this new dynamics. You know, it is always hard to not be playing. There so much more fun in playing rather than in studying and analyzing hands searching for mistakes. It is much easier to blame "the crazy guys" who bad beats us. But if we want to get really good, we need to stop for a moment and study. Tomorrow there will be as many tournaments and opportunities as yesterday. Studying is an investment.

ztibor72

ztibor72

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
Of course I studied poker.
Fortunately, when I started 15+ years ago, there were good teaching materials in Hungarian.
I learned the basics from this. I developed these for the various games I tried.
Since I lived from poker for years, as a member of a backer team, there were trainings and analyzes several times a week.
After playing 5-6 hours a day, I myself analyzed the hands in question.

R

RaiderDePicas

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
PA
Chips
It’s my first time in a forum and I find interesting the way that many perspectives come all the way around a single post.

If I find myself asking how to study poker, I can either learn a lot of bad habits or illuminate myself with a new point of view. Fun fact, I always make myself this question and it's been a long time ago since I have been searching for an answer. I mean, I consume a lot of information, from books to podcast, to videos to articles and other players notes. Without a filter to process all that information you can find yourself in a vicious circle when you learn something new and try to apply but don’t take the time to process it. So, now you win a lot with a new more strategies and found yourself losing for the same reason.

Nowadays with a study routine, I can find myself diving into a general topic like “how to study poker?” and getting a lot of insight from slowing down. You can either find information in books or podcasts, but you’ll never learn the same way as another human being, and neither have the same interest about certain topics. You should learn the way you brain can digest information, process it and make your own conclusions about the things that motivates you.

If you learn a lot from listening to your buddies it’s as effective as if you learn the poker math from a book. So be open to your curiosity, it’s my only advice. With the time you can apply what you have been learning and make new questions about your new way of seeing the things. So, take your time to answer those new questions that arise from it.

R.Holynskyi

R.Holynskyi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Calculus, variants, equity, probability...

How many hours do you study? How long?
I learned and am learning just by playing poker. I haven't read any books, but I've watched a few videos that explain the basics of the game. For me, poker is entertainment, so I just avoid the boring learning process :)

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
If you're learning poker for beginners, then know that nothing beats the excitement you get from playing great poker. Personally, I don't study for a long time and just play.

sidd4rt4

sidd4rt4

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
EC
Chips
i used to study but just for fun

ratbat615

ratbat615

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
I study every day for 1 hour plus I try to play every day. I am on post flop now. Thank you 🙏 for your question.

nighton

nighton

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Only a few books to have a better understanding of the game of what type of hands i have to play for positions stuff like that i search online but never to much of it since i never wanted to go profesional

Mohamed48

Mohamed48

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I don't study poker a lot. I take advantage of my mistakes while playing

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
If you're not studying, you're not going to improve beyond a very basic level of understanding.

CeegeePoker

CeegeePoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
I'm a pro player and I study 30-60 minutes everyday. Some days I'll do some deeper study for 2+ hours. I find it's better to study before playing and then try to execute the newly learned strategy.

R.Melnyk77

R.Melnyk77

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Unfortunately, I don't study at all. I understand that learning should be part of the game process, but I lack the time and probably the desire to learn :)

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I study when I can, but I definitely should study more. I think the ideal is to study everyday, at least 1 hour per day, but sometime I can't even study 1 hour per week.

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The more you learn, the more you know; the more you know, the more you forget; the more you forget, the less you know. This is how we play! That is why the result is so disappointing.:)