Do you study poker?

maxivega

maxivega

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always try to study the chances of winning. but also, in my case, I have moments that I leave to chance. it is not recommended.

tony2521

tony2521

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
Of course, it is an obligation to do so if you want to be among the best, since everything evolves as time goes by.

A kiravio

A kiravio

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
At the moment I have come to the conclusion that I have to study myself and my game, how I manage to win and what could happen if I had the opposite result. When I lose I analyze my result and what I did wrong to get there. I managed to be more realistic and get over the unpleasant moments more easily, they are fewer and fewer. When I am at peace with myself, I will start learning because it is something that guarantees your ascent in your game.
I wish you much success!

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
when I started to play poker , almost 10 years ago ..yes I study a little :)

KevinRBTV

KevinRBTV

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Definitely not enough! But I already have a lot of work to do then study my hands. Then I would barely play anymore 🙈

But I'm convinced that it would make me better!

Dobbler1

Dobbler1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I study a few hours a week. I study strategy mainly, but also the mental game.

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Calculus, variants, equity, probability...

How many hours do you study? How long?
Hello @dan Baeta
I have done the Cardschat course, and I have seen all the videos of the Elias Gutierrez "Zerospoker" course because it is in Spanish and it is easy for me to understand it. There I reaffirmed many concepts of the Course here, which is very good.
Then I spend watching plays and tournaments, in videos.
Especially some players, especially I really like to see Tom Dwan, Nacho Barbero, Phil Ivey, Patrick Antonius, and others.
You always find something about how they call, how they raise, from what position, how they fold,
I have seen very big hands where these players fold when any of us would call. And well they know why they fold.
I saw that in practice. The first time I played after finishing the Cardschat course, in a freeroll here I ran into a German friend who, due to the position he was playing and how the play had developed after a couple of reraises, was convinced that he I had AA and he was leading me preflop, I had KK in early position. I paid the same to convince myself of what I had studied and that it gave me the reason that he was beating me. And if it was true, I had the AA, I prayed for the K to click but it didn't happen.
You always have to take these situations into account, because what counts is safety in the tournament, not committing suicide at the first instance.
Thanks to the study I have been able to establish quite clearly the concepts of equity, ranges, variance, etc.
The matter of range helped me a lot at the cash tables that I play in Omaha Pot limit in microlimits. The opening range is very important, with very good hands it is convenient to open strong from UTG because on the way back if they reraise you you close the bet and you can calmly see the flop. Either reraising from BN is also productive or strong openings from here.
If you don't study this brother, you are in ruins. Then, logically, luck should always help you, but in turn you must accompany luck, especially playing Omaha like I do, where the mathematical possibilities are enormous and where the best hand preflop is not AA or KK, which although They are strong, it does not indicate at all that they are the best in a game where there are a lot of trios, straights, flushes, full houses, 4 quads and even straight flushes.
So believe in Omaha that because you have AKAK you have the winning hand, you really are an illusionist.
You have to study brother and practice if you want to progress. Take note of the hands you play, take note of your opponents, if you lose a hand, study it if you made a mistake, all this is given to you by study and practice.
Greetings:):):):)

drinker

drinker

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

I started playing poker a long time ago. When I first started, I spent the first two or three months learning the game, but now I don't. Unfortunately, there is always not enough time even for a game, and even more so there is no time for studying. I play poker for fun, so I'm actually learning as I play.

Grabobbe

Grabobbe

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DK
Chips
I used to study, but now with a 3 year old daughter and a demanding wife, I prefer spending what little spare time I have, playing instead. 😊

Falai_san

Falai_san

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
yes I study a little.
I study about 6 hours a week.

M

menefotto

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
AT
Chips
Hi! do you recommend a website or a youtube channel for studying?

juan1579

juan1579

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Without a doubt, you have to study to be able to achieve your goals in poker

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

Calculus? Why?

And, I do spend time studying... but I am finding I need to make my studying much more structured. Currently I am studying a few different things at the same time (which can be okay depending upon what it is) but would like to focus more on particular things & then put them into practice.

I'd also REALLY like to get back into studying mixed games and play a bunch of them as well (perhaps even spending 6mos. to 1 year on playing mixed games and then when going to wsop, playing in a bunch of games besides just nlhe). I am inspired by those who specialize in mixed games (especially the ones who were former online NLHE MTT crushers... ie. Shaun 'TedsFishFry' Deeb, Paul 'paulgees81' Volpe, and Dylan 'ImaLucSac' Linde (< who has also written a book on playing Mixed games... which I purchased but haven't read yet).

With poker I don't think you can ever study too much and I also think it's a necessity if you want to keep up with the competition. It's also important to PLAY A LOT!

Years ago, reading poker books was my preferred method for learning. I liked it because it was well structured... laid out for me A to Z. I also really liked poker training sites and had a subscription to a few of them. These days this stuff is mostly outdated methods ALTHOUGH there are a few EXCELLENT books out (I think I've purchased ALL of them... having read just a few of them).

I've also purchased a couple of courses & a BBZ Bundle

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Hi! do you recommend a website or a youtube channel for studying?

Great question! (I think it would be really helpful to hear HOW & WHAT things/material players are studying)

I think it depends on what you are playing &/or what you are hoping/wanting to learn.

Dimidrol2

Dimidrol2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I don't read theory, but I try to understand practice and analysis of my own and others' actions. There is a lot of information now, but that's how useful no one will say Many things if he understood it himself, then it will be remembered forever.

Atararo14

Atararo14

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
It's been a long time since I studied poker, but before that I spent 2-3 hours a day, 3-4 times a week.

I spent time learning open raise ranges, outs, equities of different situations pf-flop and post flop + some mental work to manage bad run and tilt.

Berandir

Berandir

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I study through videos and content on Cardschat, but I confess that I should study more. I have a group of player friends who review hands from tournaments played and that helps a lot, as some of them have more study experience.

oleg8519

oleg8519

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
At first, I spent a lot of time fishing poker, studying the material on pokerstrategy and saving it. Now I hardly read just play

demibar

demibar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
To be honest no. I do believe that if I do seriously study I would have some extra disappointment on loses lol

F

Fushicho

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don;t study. I just play. I know you have to have a basic understanding of the rulles and the odds. But its more important to know your opponents and no book is going to tell you how my mate Pete place, or James. So just got to playa lot of games. tbf, I don't play online against randoms or tournaments against live against randoms very often. I think books might help if I did.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do You study Poker?!. Of course! I'm doing this... spontaneously, may be a few chaotically, as feel at moment!
But this is my method! Something like that!..