Building from a baby bankroll

C

cleobuddy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
There are a few ways of approaching bankroll building from nothing, but I think any that are going to be successful have to be realistic about how much time it takes to get the ball rolling and getting to a sizable amount. It's not something that happens overnight (or has an expectation of happening quickly). If you can make $10/month consistently you've discovered something good, and stick with..

I've never deposited. I have played on 2 different sites over 2 Winters (I'm a seasonal player) and have been able to generate about $250 (average) per season by just free rolling and scooping up whatever promotions there might be. It takes a lot of time and a lot of play, but I enjoy it too. The bulk of the money making tends to happen in very isolated events. The majority of the cashes are in the $1-$3 range at the free roll level. It's in gaining entry to larger events, and doing well there that you can really make headway.

Once a fair amount of spare cash is amassed it's possible to split off some of the winnings and direct that into cash games, i.e. That's the way I've done it. Whatever I figure I can make in a month of free rolling I am willing to put up in a miny bankroll to take stabs. If you lose it then you've essentially played a month for nothing (that is infuriating to me). If you make money with it then it just goes into the larger pot.

9betterluck9

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually bust my bankrolls by unsuccsessful bluffs and wrong squeeze spots.. Then i lose confidence and and its hard to for me to regain it . I wish i could control my mental game lil bit more.

Sounds like you are in dire need of learning/practicing strict BRM (bankroll management.) You should NEVER be busting your bankroll on a bluff, unless it is you absolute last buy-in. But had you practiced BRM you shouldn't ever be in this predicament. As you would have moved down in stakes to increase the # of buy-ins you have at any level... The only time things aren't so cut and dry, is when you bankroll is very small, and there simply aren't any smaller games for you to move down in stakes...

MrEsprectro

MrEsprectro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I had a small bankroll in the beginning, I used to grind HU SNG ($1.50 and $3.50) because I statistically won more than I lost, so that was a good choice for me. Also I think the fifty50 SNGs can be good for grinding low stakes. 10 players, and 5 players win. Just play tight and pick good spots, and you Will most likely win more than you loose:)

T

ThanJay

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Too true

Great post, I think bankroll management is the hardest thing for a lot of players, myself included to do effectively. Also love the MTT section. I've been trying to build a bankroll from 0 on stars playing the freerolls but the variance is just too high and the fields too big, think I will be old and gray before I break ten dollars!

CincyTim83

CincyTim83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very nice and informative post! I as many other people are trying to build from strictly FR's. I had a run where I got it up to 20 dollars or so but got bored and started playing the jackpot tournaments on ACR. And.... there's goes my bankroll! Im hoping some of your tips make me go back to basics and able to actually maintain a nice bankroll.

I think the single table SnG's are a great idea that I never gave a thought. It's very hard to cash in consecutive MTT's just due to the time frames.

Al Spath

Al Spath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Took quite awhile to read everyone's input and I must say, a ton of players hit the nail on the head. Props to everyone.

I've found that cash games are the clear winner of the debate of which is the best way to build a bankroll. Your ROI at 1 table sng's or larger ones must be pretty good to get some traction. Major MTT's are sometimes a crapshoot at the lower levels, so that may or may not net you profit/vs time invested. Whereas cash you can fit into your busy schedule, come and go as you please, never see blinds impacting play (static), and players become very known (image), over a very short period of time.

Be careful not to engage in short table encounters (the blinds and rake will make a big dent in your bankroll), until you have mastered aggressive play and short table matchups.

If at any time I can assist anyone by answering a question here, or privately, please call on me to provide you an article, a link to a problem solver, some guidance of emotions at the table, book reviews, etc., glad to help where I can.

Until then, continue the journey and have a plan for every time you put money on the tables.

bsam

bsam

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i had to learn the hard way about br management. I built it up playing freerolls and a couple of 100 gtd tourneys. Built it up to like 200$+and pissed it away lesson learned and now am starting to read more about alot of stuff.Thanks for the post.

L

leandr0s

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i really think bankroll management is the #1 most basic aspect of making money in poker. It is the one thing that takes variance and limits it. So then its only skills that matter. Of course you need the skills in the first place. But reducing variance is giving you the edge. Really trying to find a threat with bankroll management in here.. lol

xpvictor1

xpvictor1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good at ... or just like ... or both.

I suggest playing many different freeroll tourneys until you find one you are good at but also like to play. Not everyone is suited for Omaha and others are not suited for NL Holdem etc.

P

Poker247

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Awesome post Oz!

Just started at ACR and this post is right up my alley! Thanks for all the timely advice. I will definitely work on my BRM...it seems to be a fairly standard issue for a lot of players. Nice job! :)

L

Lilyanabg

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need a lot of luck and lot of patience to cash out with this baby bankroll.

MrBadAss

MrBadAss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been playing ACR freerolls for like 6 months and only 2 cashes which I lost trying to sat into larger tournys . I suppose I need to get a larger bankroll before trying the sat side . $ 2.50 is a bunch lol .

If I really grind like 8h a day I can do easily 2 cashes a day, send me pm if you need, I can help you

legudus

legudus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I built my BR playing freeroll and then using "nash equilibrium" to play spin and go in PS. I know it's not a conservative strategy but it worked for me

jastagg042286

jastagg042286

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
THATS A GOOD POST

YEAH YOU PRETTY MUCH SUMMED IT ALL UP THERE. ME MYSELF I NEVER PLAY WITH MORE THAN 10%OF MY BANKROLL SO THAT MIGHT HELP WITH BANKROLL MANAGEMENT, I WISH YOU LUCK AND MY THE CARDS RUN IN FAVOR TO US ALL

P

PaulopokerBR

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
That´s it !

Nice post, good considerations.
TheOne2Watch made a good point about distractions too. ;)

M

McDrix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I built my BR playing freeroll and then using "nash equilibrium" to play Spin and Go in PS. I know it's not a conservative strategy but it worked for me

Hi, can you elaborate on what is Nash equilibrium? And how it has helped you be successful.

Thanks in advance.

McDrix

Found interesting the fact that some think is better the cash game vs the mtt or sng?

What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Lexxx

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A 5 year old topic, but still nice!!! Very good!!!

Vadim Kudimov

Vadim Kudimov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With many recommendations are consistent, especially on the bonus) is simply not realistic. But you must admit that the bankroll to make the freeroll on pokerstars type where the total pot $ 10-20 and the number of participants reaches 5000 is not realistic (. Personally, I'm desperate to raise there bankroll (. Can anyone advise poker rooms with good prizes for freerolls?

HenriqueMed1

HenriqueMed1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for these tips because they will help me a lot to build my bankroll!

G

gecamp

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
which healthy bankroll to go to cash game?

fearfizz

fearfizz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wow graaet post,you're are smart man:)
just sadly i good only in STGs its way more boring then MTT or cash.:(

bsam

bsam

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Really should of tried to listen to some advice thought I had it down. But I lost a nice little start quick. Well thanks to people who post this because I'm going to start reading.

arbahool

arbahool

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to get lucky-the more i'm playing poker i think its more down to luck

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management