Building from a baby bankroll

alaskabill

alaskabill

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good to see this one get bumped again. I don't understand why it isn't in the golden archives.

alaskabill

alaskabill

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bumpity bump. This one deserves to be seen.

R

RazKat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This Thread has been a Godsend for me. I just had my first major Downswing today after carefully building a satisfactory bankroll and then having watching it self destruct really took a chunk out of my Spirit but I think following these tips and being more Cautious would do me Good. I hadn't considered sticking to only One Game and played a lot of MTTs out of enjoyment because I usually made it to paid places but near the bottom. My best performance has definitely been on the Fifty50 SnGs so I'll adhere to your Agenda for bankroll growth. Wish me Luck too since that also matters!

C

cis77

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I built my bankroll out of freerolls, earning tickets for low budget tournaments and this way I could play and learn the game, I play about 3 years now, still the low budget tournaments (below 10$) and the freerolls also.

S

spazdm

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ty bud i agree with most of what you say but i think its either rigged or i just really suck lol cuase i have some serious bad luck a lot. But as usual il take any advice i can get, which is why i love this forum its so helpfull.

C

cis77

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
and playing fot the tickets is also fun, sites like cardschat can give you a great oppurtunity to play with big guns

C

ChAAcer23

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this post was good information and very uplifting for me. i am going to put together a good study and write a post similar to this. thanks for the advice.

Nintendo

Nintendo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I got back into wanting to play as of recently. Havent been into it for over 5 years. Back then I started with freerolls and slowly built up over the months. Probably got up to $400 or so within 6 months. Hard to remember to be completely accurate. But it can be done with persistence. freerolls. low limit sngs etc. keeping an eye out for generous private freerolls n stuff like that. slowly raising stakes. Trying to do it again now. =]

cjmoles

cjmoles

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great Post!

I have never been good at managing my bankroll. My problem has always been that gut feeling thing that tells me, "Go for it! Take that risk because it's gonna pay this time!" Discipline is key....I've built and destroyed many bankrolls that way.

Good advice my friend!

D

DVFreewill

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Informative post. If you can just deposit $25 you can build a bankroll in micro-stakes games.

M

Mailbox13

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes,, and once you built, don't get greedy and risk in big tournys, you end up back where you started..(unfortunetly from experience)

almanik

almanik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for good information. I'll begin try to built my bankroll soon.

N

nydk1221

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have come to realize that any money I have won through freerolls never makes me any money. As soon as I deposit money I seem to do much better in tournaments. Anyone else have the same experiejncd

P

pain_pain_go_away

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have come to realize that any money I have won through freerolls never makes me any money. As soon as I deposit money I seem to do much better in tournaments. Anyone else have the same experiejncd
Perhaps this is because the money that you deposit from your own pocket seems more real to you & perhaps it hurts more to lose your real hard earned cash as opposed to free 'digital' money that you (conjured up) just won from the internet?

akyurukov

akyurukov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually find that build from tiny to monstrous extremely hard...i tried many times but failed....you always get to a point where your bankroll cannot afford your losses and beats,and downswings... despite of the stakes you play.
I really,really cant understand how some people do it... its easy to say but to do ...thats another thing.
I have respect for those who did.
..and..that,that i failed many times doesnt mean that i will give up.

TempoShaman

TempoShaman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

theres a lot of conspiracy on this statement...

as far as my belief goes, unless you have a solid solid BR, that you indeed do not care if you lose, play online

Txpokerlover

Txpokerlover

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great points. Thanks writing it! The problem with most players is they have good intentions in the beginning but sticking to it is the hard part. You hit for a nice profit go on a great run and all of a sudden you up the limits. This game is patience and discipline mixed with a bit of luck (or as I prefer to put it not getting Unlucky :). Don't stray form the plan for a while before you consider increasing your play and limits!

C

chloebrand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everyone knows how to make money at this, the majority just do not have the discipline to stick with the game plan. That's the difference between working the tables and playing on them. There is plenty of money to be made, you just have to learn to play perfect. Quit trying to get lucky, that's what is killing your bank roll...

FOLD often...RAISE with purpose...call, you friends and family, but not in poker!!!!!!!!

D

DriftwoodKid

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Building a stack from zero deposit is very difficult. I was playing on Doyle
Card Room and thru freerolls I got it up to $365.00 and lost it when they
closed the site in the US.

B

bbiase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just won 6 dollars on a freeroll 5 days ago and have been playing on Full Tilt's $.50 sit and go tables. Got it up to 18 dollars already. Really soft field, specially on later levels where they either suck at defending their blinds or go full aggro mode and hand you the money on a silver platter. Sure I won't keep up this rate of winning long run, but you can easily build a microstakes bankroll grinding there.

But definitely you will save a lot of time if you just deposit your bankroll already. Time you could've spent on table time getting money from awful microstakes players.

BogdanStark

BogdanStark

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is a beautiful words! Thx for autor of the post for such big and usefull information!

jayrock334

jayrock334

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just now reading this post 5 years later but knowledge is timeless thanks OZ

Martin Carreira

Martin Carreira

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very good post. I am starting my bank Free tournaments to have a good bank and make money to play tournaments or cash tables

alipalip

alipalip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even when we stick to just playing our best game, we're STILL going to need to get lucky in order to build our roll.
what a truet! :D

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management