Building from a baby bankroll

B

Brandom1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the info

Thank you so much for this info in BRM. I have been trying to figure out a way to play without having to constantly deposit money and this info is spot on.:)

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hello guys, i need ur opinion
my friends recommended me to play 0.1, 0.25sng tournaments to build a bankroll, is it a good idea? waiting for ur advices

How big is your bankroll? And what games are you best at?

If you've got a bankroll of $10-$25 and SnG tournaments are the games you're best at then sure, that's a good idea. Not necessarily because it's what your friend did, but because it's games that you're appropriately rolled for that you have the best chance of beating.

But let's say for example you only have a bankroll of $5 and the format you're best at is 6-max cash games. In that case no, 25c SnGs probably aren't the right game for you - DUCY?

J

JesusHMazzei

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the tips!!... i am on this mission haha... i am playing MTTs freerolls more as practice than actual hope to make money.. don't know if thats a bad idea but it's the one i came up xD

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great Post. Well written and very helpful. I agree with the avoid the MTT strategy. While there are some tourneys that are regularly soft than can be exploited, I'd agree that cash games are a better way to go.

igorsad

igorsad

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys! I`ve been playing poker for about 5-6 years, also i tried to play different hold`em games (cash from NL2 to NL25, SNG 10-11$, MTT 22$) and
several times I had a bankroll of about $1000. The main problem is, that in none of these games I could earn a stable income and move forvard.
How do you think, the poker player can be good at all hold'em games, or i should concentrate to only one game (for example NL cash?).

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys! I`ve been playing poker for about 5-6 years, also i tried to play different hold`em games (cash from NL2 to NL25, SNG 10-11$, MTT 22$) and
several times I had a bankroll of about $1000. The main problem is, that in none of these games I could earn a stable income and move forvard.
How do you think, the poker player can be good at all hold'em games, or i should concentrate to only one game (for example NL cash?).

You'll be more likely to improve / will improve faster if you focus on just one variant of the game, yeah. That means actually working on that version of the game though - studying, posting and discussing hands, etc. Just playing the one game over and over making the same mistakes won't necessarily help.

igorsad

igorsad

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You'll be more likely to improve / will improve faster if you focus on just one variant of the game, yeah. That means actually working on that version of the game though - studying, posting and discussing hands, etc. Just playing the one game over and over making the same mistakes won't necessarily help.

Thx for answer! How do you think, how much money would be enough to start playing from scratch? On NL2 for example?
I was thinking of accumulating about 50 buy-ins in order to start playing again and improve my skill. The fact is that I had a long break, and I think that is bad idea to return immediately to the highest limit on which i played before, cause the level of poker is constantly growing and every year there are more and more good players.

C

C3H6S

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bank roll

i think that building a bank roll for beginers is a very dificult way

jastagg042286

jastagg042286

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It can be but if your patience is good youll have no problem over coming a small bankroll to a profitable one

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thx for answer! How do you think, how much money would be enough to start playing from scratch? On NL2 for example?
I was thinking of accumulating about 50 buy-ins in order to start playing again and improve my skill. The fact is that I had a long break, and I think that is bad idea to return immediately to the highest limit on which i played before, cause the level of poker is constantly growing and every year there are more and more good players.

Yeah if you're depositing and you've beaten the level before then 50 buyins should be absolutely fine for $2NL

D

DjMoUs3

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Overall nice post. Dream killer for youngsters that think about a big win but anyways, sometimes you just need to crush a dream to wake up into a cruel reality.

D

Dmnd888

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks OE.
As a newbie, any and all advice is gratefully received. I will bear your advice in mind. At least that way, if it all goes the way of the pear, I have someone to blame! [emoji6]

Stay lucky mate.

A

ats272

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fokus on your favorite version of the game.It is impossible to be good at everything.

D

Dmnd888

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks ats272. I read that somewhere as well. Helmuth's book I think. Sound advice.

Stay lucky.

K

Kalirao

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It is really difficult for a beginner to get stacked up best of luck

K

Kalirao

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Harrington on Cash Game read this book it will help you

S

Soyanek94

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for help. The mistake I make is going all in early on with AK AQ but it nosense vs freerollers who check everythin

froggeedogs

froggeedogs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I liked your post as well. I generally stick to mtt's (free or otherwise-micro-.10cents 9mx on 888) to build my bankroll. Once in a while I will go up to a .25 or .40 table to change it up, but not if I am in a downslump. I have not made a deposit to either 888 or poker stars yet and am level 21 at 888 and have @6.00 for micros at pokerstars. This allows me to play as much as I want at the moment while continuing to build enough to play what I used to play a few years ago, one table 9 max 5$ buy-ins. These served me very well in the past and was able to cash in @1200 dollars before I stopped. I did deposit at that time.

I do not play cash tables. variance too great for my liking.
CC freerolls are a great addition to my games as well. For the most part rather good poker with only the occasional fish.

P

pokerpie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
teach me the ways

currently tryin to build my bankroll in a similar fashion, although PLO is definetely not my best game to play lol. wish me luck!

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not play cash tables. variance too great for my liking.
CC freerolls are a great addition to my games as well. For the most part rather good poker with only the occasional fish.

If you've found the game that works for you within your bankroll then that's the important thing...

...but that said, cash games aren't higher variance than MTTs. MTTs are, pretty much by definition, the highest variance form of poker there is.

And playing with good players is great for challenging yourself and getting better at the game. When it comes to making money though, give me a table full of fish every single time. Don't cost yourself money by seeking out tougher games than you need to.

J

Joe Crazy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for all
I find a lot of answers on my questions

VinnyStrat

VinnyStrat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for help. The mistake I make is going all in early on with AK AQ but it nosense vs freerollers who check everythin

freerollers who check everything Like AK AQ? at that point any pair has you beat.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management