Building from a baby bankroll

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mate I have a question.
How long will it take to double your chips/money in a cash game if you play really tight & careful.
I know it depends on the situation. (players, cards dealt etc)

But as an average what would you say?
I've been playing 2NLs for a while now some times double up but sometimes looses because of bad beats or me being stupid.
Nevertheless it takes time. That's why I'm asking

And thanks for the valuable advice

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mate I have a question.
How long will it take to double your chips/money in a cash game if you play really tight & careful.
I know it depends on the situation. (players, cards dealt etc)

"It depends" is the only answer we can really give, unfortunately.

I mean for starters are you talking about in just one session? If that's the case, I wouldn't even be focussed on doubling my money - I'd just be focussed on making the best possible decisions on every single hand I'm dealt. Do that and let the results come to you.

Alex Melnik

Alex Melnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very informative post. Thank you, man.

L

LifeLab

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've made a little over $55 with freerolls and now I can play 0.55 and an additional 0.55 if I get to the the break. BetOnline is setup for 1G chips at the start and than one can buy 5G chips after the first break for 0.55. I will never re-buy into a tournament. Let's see how it goes. I'm sure it will be a lot harder when playing with real money.

T

titiduru

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My case is different. No one ate my bankroll, instead a donkey drank it. That donkey was me.

T

TheLegend27

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My case is different. No one ate my bankroll, instead a donkey drank it. That donkey was me.

I chuckled at this.

I have a problem sometimes where I feel like I've developed a tight aggressive image at the table. At that point, I might start doing triple barrel bluffs and at show down I find I've been called down by mid or bottom pair.

Then I get mad. And spew chips. Contradictory?!

shinjibe

shinjibe

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
So many pocket 10's, so many burns..... been trying to grind up what was left of my roll, $187 last week, sitting and around $5 this week. Any momentum in sng's burned, so many Kx Qx, Qx Jx, hands all in preflop burned 5 for 5 of my 10,s.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I think, it is a little bit hard to say, keep on one game. My opinion is choose several games that you like. Choose some, that are very conservative, where you can build up your bankroll, and some that have more volatility. But mix them up well. Try to build up your bankroll with the games that you know well and try to do recently some shots whith the money that you are able to put on risk. It is like dealing with stocks, i think.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, it is a little bit hard to say, keep on one game. My opinion is choose several games that you like. Choose some, that are very conservative, where you can build up your bankroll, and some that have more volatility. But mix them up well. Try to build up your bankroll with the games that you know well and try to do recently some shots whith the money that you are able to put on risk. It is like dealing with stocks, i think.

Yeah that's an absolutely fine approach once you've built a stable bankroll.

I'm talking about what you need to do to get that stable bankroll in the first place though. When you've only got 10 or 20 buyins you simply don't have "money that you are able to put on risk", which is why I suggest sticking to one game and one game only - the one you're absolutely best at.

C

Chipsahoy77

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
bankroll

hi I'm a advid poker lover ive been earnestly n diligently studying the game not just holdem but Omaha n razz mainly holdem watching countless strategy videos and been for years I'm winning freerolls left n right n starting my bankroll while I just got back into online poker if I win again I'm willing to send money over to start your bankroll as a friend n I was hoping maybe someone could start me off with 1 dollar minimum to get me started until I win my next freeroll if not that's fine I'm at Americas cardroom username chipsahoy77 n betonline username k1ngm3 if you cant do it its fine id like to add poker friends :icon_bigs:icon_bigs

R

Roccoa3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
k1ngm3? Do you play .55 and 1.10 sngs? You seem very familiar... Roccoa3 here

theman2017

theman2017

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have just recently made over the past 3 weeks made a bankroll of over $300 playing freerolls. I am wondering of peoples opinions are on a proper bankroll management for tournaments with a bankroll this size? I am looking for ratios and reasons for those ratios

n3rv

n3rv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have just recently made over the past 3 weeks made a bankroll of over $300 playing freerolls. I am wondering of peoples opinions are on a proper bankroll management for tournaments with a bankroll this size? I am looking for ratios and reasons for those ratios

It is up to you but hypothetically if I was just starting out and only wanted to play tourneys and to be extra safe I'd bankroll myself for 0.5% and enter $1.5 tourneys. My reason for this would be that they are a higher variance than cash and play differently to freerolls and you can experiment with different types.

Realistically though, I like 1% so I'd probably play 0.01/0.02 cash with $2 until $500 and enter the odd tournament for $2 too. Then move up to $5 in both after I have proven myself to have the discipline to beat the game for $200 with real money at the first level.

J

jokerTHEace

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with most replies but one thing a lot are forgetting is not get over your head real quick. Don't move up in buy in amounts until your online poker skills are mastered for that level. I have found that low buy in games hold little quality players , although the sharks do patrol those waters, just remember to move up when your ready and chasing is always a danger to you're bank roll.

B

Brazenly

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wish i found this article earlier. Then it wouldnt take me a year to go from freerolls to hundreds dolars.
Great rticle. Worth wasting time

F

Fastone2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would love to win cash an begin a bankroll to play in smaller tournament. sometimes, I play in a tournament with thousands an its difficult to win...

F

Fastone2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find it difficult to read the players when its computerized. So, I try to focus on playing better cards. Any ideas on how to reads the players?

S

Supmargy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find it difficult to read the players when its computerized. So, I try to focus on playing better cards. Any ideas on how to reads the players?

You have to play for a couple of hands and look at what they call and raise with. You can't read anything other than trends. But you can easily identify 'wrong' calls. Especially if they win by getting lucky on turn/river.
Tag people with how they play so next time you play them you'll know. Make sure tags are specific enough, otherwise you'll sometimes expect a certain behaviour and they won't meet expectations.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Much like the live game, it's mostly about making observations over time. You don't get the physical cues you do in a live game but you do get other advantages instead (including hand histories so you can go back and see exactly what happened five hands ago, or what they showed down, etc).

F

Fastone2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Building a small bankroll

I am still learning to play poker. I keep getting closer an closer to the money. But, I seem to screw up every time to miss the cash.
Getting better, tho. Soon, I will be seeing you winners in the cash. LOL....

F

Fastone2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Replies

After reading others advice, I can see that some of the sugestions work, already... Thx...

F

Fastone2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker Pay Outs

It would be more interesting if the pay outs were a little better.
The companies could pay out nickels to give my i9ncentives to keep trying.
And after that, allow playing points for a few places.
It would attrack more inexperienced players, I think...

M

Michal Dajewski

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
hello guys, i need ur opinion
my friends recommended me to play 0.1, 0.25sng tournaments to build a bankroll, is it a good idea? waiting for ur advices

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management