The Benefits of Aggression (Day 2 Course Discussion)

W

Wappel

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Passive action ist the best strategy , i Like to answer after a read. All the best for all of you:cool:

R

rdpoker5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never thought about poker in this way. Checking behind always seemed passive to me. Really looking forward to the parts where river raises are explained in more detail.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Aggression is vital for the game. It is the way to go higher. It needs judgement and wise actions!

iv_horsemen

iv_horsemen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As a veteran of playing online poker with play money. Pretty comfortable being aggressive, as I feel it is the only way to play. As I've moved into the real money world I like the idea of being more aggressive while being aware of my position.

Looks like no more limps UTG! Thoughts on what hands you can raise from this position?

iv_horsemen

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As a veteran of playing online poker with play money. Pretty comfortable being aggressive, as I feel it is the only way to play. As I've moved into the real money world I like the idea of being more aggressive while being aware of my position.

Looks like no more limps UTG! Thoughts on what hands you can raise from this position?

iv_horsemen

Good question horsemen. We have complete pre-flop range guidelines coming up on Day 6.

Limping UTG can be a good play in certain situations though. The most common would be with a low pocket pair at an extremely loose table with deep stacks. (Raising would be fine also.) Enjoy the course!

H

hanio75

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Absolutely, hit us up with any questions on Day 2 once you're ready!
I really liked the explanations. Because I often play very aggressively and I realize that it will be better to dose the actions. I think with strong hands and in position I should try to involve more player to get a good pot. If I'm wrong, let me know.

H

hanio75

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

iv_horsemen

hi, I always play this position with one range very tight, like : Aj+KJ+QJ+ 22+, but there are others factores, stack, opoment, board, if connect to board I pay 1/2 pot to built a big pot on showdown. I hope have helped you. Good Lucky!!

iv_horsemen

iv_horsemen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good question horsemen. We have complete pre-flop range guidelines coming up on Day 6.

Limping UTG can be a good play in certain situations though. The most common would be with a low pocket pair at an extremely loose table with deep stacks. (Raising would be fine also.) Enjoy the course!

hi, I always play this position with one range very tight, like : Aj+KJ+QJ+ 22+, but there are others factores, stack, opoment, board, if connect to board I pay 1/2 pot to built a big pot on showdown. I hope have helped you. Good Lucky!!

Thanks hanio. Definitely starting to learn there's a lot of nuances to the game other than the cards. I was just looking for a general range.

Got dealt a mid pair while UTG yesterday a couple times. Limped in both times. The first time everyone folded, BTN, SB, BB called. Made my set on the flop with an A on the board and paid off well. The second time HIJ shoved in and was an easy one to fold cause I wasn't that invested. Thanks for the tips.

iv_horsemen

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really liked the explanations. Because I often play very aggressively and I realize that it will be better to dose the actions. I think with strong hands and in position I should try to involve more player to get a good pot. If I'm wrong, let me know.

Sure, to some extent that also depends on the kind of hand you have.

With T9s and position, playing multi-way is good (although getting heads-up with the betting lead is still a great outcome even with suited connectors). With a hand relying more on high card / top pair strength like AJo, you definitely prefer to limit the field rather than go with 5 or so to the flop.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
If you want to win , especially a tournament I think you have to be the '' driver'' many or most of the times , the aggressor :) Many limp , or you check waiting for sb to raise later position so as to 4bet him but this doesn't happen , if they see you are a passive player they will be bluffing all the time , playing almost ATC with you , lol , hard to get them off your back , lol :)

Ofcourse knowing the the best strategy for every spot , hend , street is the best way to deal witht every hand , but in an aggressive way on the whole :)

G

gatinhoAK12

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Mãos premium e mãos forte.

O curso está no ar agora - vamos discutir a agressão depois de concluir o capítulo 2!
Depois que passei para selecionar as mãos premium e as mãos fortes no início do jogo, comecei a obter mais resultados com agressividade, acredite que será o modo mais passivo / agressivo no início do jogo do meio para frente, se tornar mais fácil de roubar potes, já passamos uma imagem de um jogador que seleciona como mãos e obtém mais respeito por jogadores agressivos.
Preciso de uma receita contra os donky.:D

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you want to win , especially a tournament I think you have to be the '' driver'' many or most of the times , the aggressor :) Many limp , or you check waiting for sb to raise later position so as to 4bet him but this doesn't happen , if they see you are a passive player they will be bluffing all the time , playing almost ATC with you , lol , hard to get them off your back , lol :)

Ofcourse knowing the the best strategy for every spot , hend , street is the best way to deal witht every hand , but in an aggressive way on the whole :)

You hit the nail on the head with that last line I think! It's so important that we play in an aggressive way generally--even if we decide not to in a given hand for whatever reason. Playing aggressively needs to be our default play :)

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
aggressiveness in poker and a determining factor in deciding a play for both a bluff and when you have a very good hand ,, to define defeat or victory

AdonisPimenta

AdonisPimenta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Aggression + strategy = + odds... I simply love this concept. Even with most players having an aggressive game these days We have to be patient and use our best strategy to bet them.

Jim Rivas

Jim Rivas

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Aggression + strategy = + odds... I simply love this concept. Even with most players having an aggressive game these days We have to be patient and use our best strategy to bet them.
That is called aggressiveness or bluffing. Concepts sometimes that are often doubtful. But the Poker computer programs count it as a factor of aggression and not as bluffs.

jorenn99

jorenn99

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems so that this is a bigger problem on micro stacks tournaments cause a lot of players in these days play poker like slotmachines. Often i have to quit and relaxing for a while after i lost 3 times my buyin in some tournaments, but i trying to use that kind of players to double my stack when i get the right hand.

AdonisPimenta

AdonisPimenta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Guuys .... I just have to say THANK YOU, I learnt a lot with this topic and that made so much difference on my game style that I could experienced on field how to be aggressive works. The result of that make me reach the 4th place on the last Sunday unibet. Thanks Katie, Collin and all CC team. I'm very proud of that...!

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Guuys .... I just have to say THANK YOU, I learnt a lot with this topic and that made so much difference on my game style that I could experienced on field how to be aggressive works. The result of that make me reach the 4th place on the last Sunday UNIBET. Thanks Katie, Collin and all CC team. I'm very proud of that...!
That's so awesome and we're so happy to hear that, way to go! :)

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course, aggression in poker brings benefits, not being aggressive is equivalent to giving your opponent an advantage, I am a very aggressive player, and the times that I have not been I have lost incredible hands for being too passive

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course, aggression in poker brings benefits, not being aggressive is equivalent to giving your opponent an advantage, I am a very aggressive player, and the times that I have not been I have lost incredible hands for being too passive

That’s the way to do it and so true that you’re generally handing your opponents an advantage when you aren’t acting aggressively!

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very good explination, ilove to build an image and use it in my favor,and change the image during the diferent stages.
Ex i tartr limping and calling ROLs so my image is off a passive calling,and suddently i star3betting pre flop or in the postflop. Or i start playing very agressive ROling 3betting and barreling so i know peaple will tend to call me widder.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very good explination, ilove to build an image and use it in my favor,and change the image during the diferent stages.
Ex i tartr limping and calling ROLs so my image is off a passive calling,and suddently i star3betting pre flop or in the postflop. Or i start playing very agressive ROling 3betting and barreling so i know peaple will tend to call me widder.

So glad you enjoyed it, thanks for letting us know! :)