The Benefits of Aggression (Day 2 Course Discussion)

jeanpierre1279

jeanpierre1279

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I play the most of the time more passive but for me it's more of a mindset what i must change to play more aggressive.

Do you have also tips how to change the mindset, because when i try to start to play more aggressive after some time my play changes back to passive.

I was also very passive and now I think I am very aggressive and I am trying to find a middle ground.

My tip that I give you is to pass from passive to active and check how other villains play while you are not playing, especially if the hand goes to showdown.

Then you will see players bluffing or, if they are not, you will see how they raised their chip pre-flop, on the flop, on the turn and on the river. In case you notice that they raise very high without having anything in hand or having a pattern write this down. This will give you courage so that when you get a hand in any of these you know what to do before you play, because every time you improvise the chances of going wrong increase.

It is also important to play a lot, but a lot, in tournaments that you can play without worrying about losing, because a lot of our passivity comes in the sense of human survival of not dying early, but in poker only the strong or crazy (depending on case) survive.

MrFladder

MrFladder

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I was also very passive and now I think I am very aggressive and I am trying to find a middle ground.

My tip that I give you is to pass from passive to active and check how other villains play while you are not playing, especially if the hand goes to showdown.

Then you will see players bluffing or, if they are not, you will see how they raised their chip pre-flop, on the flop, on the turn and on the river. In case you notice that they raise very high without having anything in hand or having a pattern write this down. This will give you courage so that when you get a hand in any of these you know what to do before you play, because every time you improvise the chances of going wrong increase.

It is also important to play a lot, but a lot, in tournaments that you can play without worrying about losing, because a lot of our passivity comes in the sense of human survival of not dying early, but in poker only the strong or crazy (depending on case) survive.

Thanks for the tip.
I find this very valuable and will certainly include this in my game.

I also have to make more time for myself to be able to play, but that is sometimes quite difficult because I also have a family and other hobbies such as diving and photography that take up a lot of time. :)

allexanderStos

allexanderStos

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like this, bet or raise on the Pre-flop next in the flop I application a C-bet and most time a win the pot here.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the tip.
I find this very valuable and will certainly include this in my game.

I also have to make more time for myself to be able to play, but that is sometimes quite difficult because I also have a family and other hobbies such as diving and photography that take up a lot of time. :)

I totally understand that about making the time to play, particularly when it comes to tournaments as opposed to cash games! On the days where it doesn’t work to play, a little studying can keep you thinking and still improving! :)

B

bronson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's great going over these courses and remembering what I forgot so long ago. Thank you

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it's great going over these courses and remembering what I forgot so long ago. Thank you
So glad to hear that the course is proving to be a useful refresher for you :)

johnnylawford

johnnylawford

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Including how bet sizing relates to aggression

Hi guys,

Another good summary chapter! The one addition I would recommend is something regarding the importance of bet sizing when it comes to aggression. I'm assuming this is covered elsewhere in the book, but at a minimum including the importance of properly proportioned betting (e.g. not betting 1-2 blinds into a 40 blind pot expecting folds, or betting 100 blinds into a 10 blind pot expecting calls).

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys,

Another good summary chapter! The one addition I would recommend is something regarding the importance of bet sizing when it comes to aggression. I'm assuming this is covered elsewhere in the book, but at a minimum including the importance of properly proportioned betting (e.g. not betting 1-2 blinds into a 40 blind pot expecting folds, or betting 100 blinds into a 10 blind pot expecting calls).

You're right that bet-sizing is extremely important, and it is a fundamental part of all of the hand history examples in our course that are more than a decision to shove or fold :)

M

MoneyMaker4i

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Aggressiveness is good depending on the timing of the table, I balance the aggressive passive.

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello CCers,

Aggression is very important. I am fast learning that there are two important factors which should go along with it;

1. Information on your opponent.

I have been aggressive at the ring table without taking enough time to learn my opponents. It is now a fact that you cannot push calling stations off a hand especially draws, so do not even try unless you have top pair and a hut flush draw to go with it. This was a very painful lesson for me and I have shared it for free :)

2. The other important piece is the timing of the aggression and the story it tells.

I have been able to catch some major bluffs because the checking right through and then an "aggressive" bet on the river just does not add up. So the story that the aggression tells must add up - limpers trying to represent Aces, and broadway straights just hard to buy a lot of the time.

Of course there are those really sneaky players who do use there above mentioned situations and they show up with the goods but they are few and far in between.

For the most part I try to balance my aggression and learn as much as I can from the beatings received. Simply dust yourself off and get back in there and try better. Aggression is a nice tool to keep in ones poker arsenal - use it well.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course there are those really sneaky players who do use there above mentioned situations and they show up with the goods but they are few and far in between.
All the points you made were great, and this one is in particular! Too often I hear "what if he has Aces" or some other talk as justification for not going after value bets. Sure, some of the time players show up with huge unexpected hands--but as you point out that is in the extreme minority of cases.

Honestly if we never see hands like that show up against us, it most likely means we're losing out on quite a bit of value in the long run!

F

Frank7Chipman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Tight Aggressive

This is a really good point. I have a very aggressive style, but I only use it when I have position or the right cards to attack. Being aggressive with a bad hand often ends badly.

F

Frank7Chipman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
All in with 10s

I am only going all in with 10's if I am fairly certain that the player will fold. I do not want a coin flip with these cards and worse he could have an over pair. Always want to protect my tourney life.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am only going all in with 10's if I am fairly certain that the player will fold. I do not want a coin flip with these cards and worse he could have an over pair. Always want to protect my tourney life.

We'll talk about this more in the days to come, but you want to think about a concept called equity against range here. In other words, based on all hands your opponent is likely to hold, what percent of the time does TT win? Sometimes it will usually be a flip or overpair you're up against, in which case by all means fold! (Unless you're getting great odds.)

But often you'll have high equity against your opponent's range with TT and can happily get it in even without a chance of getting your opponent to fold.

zam220

zam220

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not play very aggressively BEFORE
Tournament payouts, but before the money, I start playing aggressively! At this stage of the tournament, you can earn a lot of chips to increase your stack!
An aggressive game is the way to success in poker!

PINOY

PINOY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Day2 Lesson done.

A good reminder that if you cannot raise with the hand your holding it is better not to play it at all.

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think being aggressive in poker is half way to winning your poker hand. but you have to be a little careful not to go wrong. not being too aggressive out of position only if you have a very strong hand.

K

kristenmm

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm impressed

So far I'm really happy with the information were getting; the layout is perfect.

K

KC69

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I love aggressive players. They're the most consistent double ups around.
A significant percentage of them have temper tantrums saying things like how can you limp with that? Bet your hand !

MarceloBalestrin

MarceloBalestrin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just want to thanks.
Cardschat tournaments have helped my poker to grow.
Today I almost reached a tournament with a prize pool of 5 million.

I'm a Very conservative player, but I have managed to bem more aggressive in recent tournaments.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Tylerstevenson1919

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Aggressive

I play tight in the begging and I play aggressive towards the end. :rolleyes::confused::(

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm a Very conservative player, but I have managed to bem more aggressive in recent tournaments.

We're glad to hear that, and congrats on your recent success from the other post!

I play tight in the begging and I play aggressive towards the end. :rolleyes::confused::(

There are good spots for early game aggression, but particularly in turbo tournament formats, the style you outline is a classic.