The Benefits of Aggression (Day 2 Course Discussion)

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're losing chips because your opponents are folding too often, it sounds like the one adjustment you should consider making is when you have a very strong hand to allow players to continue bluffing.

For example, suppose that an opponent bets into you on a 772 flop. You hold A7. Just call and allow them to continue bluffing when they don't have a hand.

After your explanation and now that I watched the day 4 "Two types of equity" its much better to understand.

millya5

millya5

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Day Two I am an aggressive player, these lessons are useful for me.Thanks for the lessons I didn't know a lot

S

Sagory

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
playing aggressive

You did a great job with this course! Thank you!

Having in mind what you said about beeing at the button and get the 3-bet from the SB I re-raised this time... unfortunately the vaillant raised again :confused:

He did this twice to me. I started to play more tight then... hope that is the right strategy for such a situation?

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The only thing aggression does is allow you to go through your bankroll faster.

What do you want, Murph? I see that you like to post about how you don't understand this game and how bad you are at it, but what is your purpose with those posts?

Do you want us to feel bad for you? I don't think anyone does.

Do you want to get better? That's not the way.

Do you want people to admit that all poker strategy is a lie and this game is the same as bingo? That won't happen, because it's just not true.

If you don't enjoy this game, stop playing it.

M

Murph1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you want, Murph? I see that you like to post about how you don't understand this game and how bad you are at it, but what is your purpose with those posts?

Do you want us to feel bad for you? I don't think anyone does.

Do you want to get better? That's not the way.

Do you want people to admit that all poker strategy is a lie and this game is the same as bingo? That won't happen, because it's just not true.

If you don't enjoy this game, stop playing it.

I want poker strategy that I can understand and that actually WORKS.

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I want poker strategy that I can understand and that actually WORKS.
You have been given one that works. If you can't understand that, I am not sure you can be helped. Poker is not a simple game.

M

Murph1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have been given one that works. If you can't understand that, I am not sure you can be helped. Poker is not a simple game.

Well I sure don’t understand or believe it works. Check your sig.

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Well I sure don’t understand or believe it works. Check your sig.
How does my signature support your feeling that it doesn't work? You aren't playing poker to get respect. You're playing to win money.

Edit: I should also note that my signature is a quote of my own. And it is based on a private live game that I used to attend, where I didn't always get a lot of respect for my shoves. But, I absolutely made a killing in that game and would never miss a session. Multiple times I turned down other stuff on Fridays to make sure I made these games. I got no respect, it is true. But, I averaged like a 330% ROI from the tournaments and made even more from the cash games. I would be playing in that game to this day, if it hadn't shutdown when the owner of the property moved.

Last edited:
M

Murph1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How does my signature support your feeling that it doesn't work? You aren't playing poker to get respect. You're playing to win money.

Edit: I should also note that my signature is a quote of my own. And it is based on a private live game that I used to attend, where I didn't always get a lot of respect for my shoves. But, I absolutely made a killing in that game and would never miss a session. Multiple times I turned down other stuff on Fridays to make sure I made these games. I got no respect, it is true. But, I averaged like a 330% ROI from the tournaments and made even more from the cash games. I would be playing in that game to this day, if it hadn't shutdown when the owner of the property moved.

I’m glad it works for you. It simply doesn’t for me. I guess I’m just not capable of understanding and/or transferring the lesson to the tables.

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I’m glad it works for you. It simply doesn’t for me. I guess I’m just not capable of understanding and/or transferring the lesson to the tables.
Your attitude and beliefs are not helping you improve. I see you asked the same question on 2+2 and also haven't really listened to their questions and advice. Find one area that you want to improve and let's work on it. Is it ranges, position, aggressive play, bet sizing, cbetting, or anything else. Start small. Also read "The Mental Game of Poker" because that is where your problems start.

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Definitely aggression makes is the best course of action for you to get the pot and also make it fatter.

But you gotta know what you're doing.

Sometimes you might want to be passive in a tight table cause if you're aggressive people won't even jump into the pot.

And also it's good to know your opponent play style sometimes so that you don't get trapped by being aggressive in the wrong time.

Thank CC for the "Become a Winning Poker Player in 30 Days" course.

E

eugenedav

Enthusiast
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Benefits of Aggression

Day 2 I am now realizing it's good to be aggressive like how been doing. I have to incorporate being passive too and sometimes neither. Become that player that takes a line that completely throws off others. I'm enjoying the breakdowns in these sessions already.:D

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Day 2 for me represents not only learning about aggressive behaviour in poker but the key aspects of picking the right spots in which to be aggressive and also the value of mixing up that play so that our behaviour does not come across as predictable or a pattern/tell.

duderino89

duderino89

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
At the moment i kinda struggle with the short videos - maybe because i do have some knowledge from before - but i always want to get more into details when watching the videos.
I would consider myself a loose aggressive player preflop. But when i first started i was wreckles postflop - c-betting a lot of flops - even though they didn't connect with my hand nor my range and it felt for me like it was working just fine on the microstakes.
I still play microstakes but now i only c-bet like 40-45% of flops - just because i take into account whom this flop should hit more so i think i miss out on lots of fold equity.
But putting out c-bets in 3-bet pots on a board that should connect more with our opponents range or on limped pots where i totally miss the flop and feeling like my opponent is still playing his 70% vpip handrange i do struggle.
So does anyone have any tips of getting my aggression factor up postflop?

Atararo14

Atararo14

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
It's a very important lesson, thank you.

The answer to the quiz :

Pre-flop : Hero takes an agressive action ( raise 90 )
Flop : Hero takes a neutral action ( check )
Turn : Hero takes a passive action ( call 120 )
River : Hero takes an agressive action ( re-raise 1018 )

barbados

barbados

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
According to my humble observations, aggressive players most often lose. In my opinion, reasonable aggressiveness of the game is justified. It is difficult to compete with such players, but it is very interesting.

T

Talka

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Most people who play only aggressively end up broke in my opinion. I even like to play against them.:) If I play 50% of the time aggressively is that good or bad?

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Haaaaaaa, HHHaaaaaa, HHHHHaaaaa, TWO. . ., TWO DAYS of how to "Become A Winning Poker Player in 30 Days" Haaa HHaa Haaaaa (thunder cracks in the background).

Day 2: Aggression

Collin emphasizes playing an aggressive game because the aggressor can win when folks fold their equity in pots. Says bets and raises are aggressive, calling is passive and checks are neither/neutral. Maybe I missed it but the ebook just went over what Collin said in the vid without adding anything.

Like that Collin is telling folks there are times when passive play might be the best option with that T9 example but emphasizes aggressive play.

I think there is a difference between silly bluffing/aggressive donk play with nothing that gets a lot of folks in trouble especially against other bad players then there is aggressive poker behavior when folks actually have something or at least draws. Collin says he'll elaborate more in future vids on that so we'll wait and see.

Another day down and looking forward to the next lesson.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's definitely good to be aggressive when you have fold equity.

Most times at cash games though, people will call you down with garbage. It's better to value bet than bluff.

Basically, selective aggression works. Need to pick and choose the opponents and situations.

E

effece

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it is difficult to modify the limper behavior, especially preflop, where even having a tight range is expected to connect. on the flop and turn be aggressive waiting for the fold or call of the others. and on the river squeeze with everything

U

unadonk

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
According to my humble observations, aggressive players most often lose. In my opinion, reasonable aggressiveness of the game is justified. It is difficult to compete with such players, but it is very interesting.

You're speaking of LAGs of course, yes? Its been my experience TAGs rise to the top more often than not.