The Benefits of Aggression (Day 2 Course Discussion)

AjR3ckless

AjR3ckless

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the aggression used in a games depends on the format of poker being played also I'm more passive playing in tournaments but spin and go's it pure aggression :):):) but I mostly watch at the start of the game to really figure out my opponents around the table to see the loose cannons and who really aggressive and winning to really avoid losing a hand to em

AjR3ckless

AjR3ckless

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I have already realized that patience is a commitment to the quality of a poker player. For example, many players get tired of tournaments for 2 hours + and start pushing all-in without a hand, some manage to double or triple and then start playing more accurately. But this is already an element of luck) I usually try to play carefully to the victorious. And that's why I get very upset with coolers. I will believe that the distance will fix everything and at the distance I will have a good winrate

this is also another good key point "Patience"

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

For sure! Although even if you’re starting off tight to get a feel for the table, I’m sure you’re still playing aggressively for the most part in hands where you do get involved.

But patience is without doubt a very important skill in tournament poker.

ringworm

ringworm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Aggression wins more often in poker.

If you raise, you can win the pot with either the best hand, or due to your opponent folding. If you check/call, you can't win unless you have the best hand.

Pichman189

Pichman189

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only a patient person will have enough patience to catch a fish at the cash table, preferably more than one)
it is also very important for the tournament, since many, especially in freerolls, play only for luck :icon_bigs

K

Kingblack74

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Aggressive

A lot of the times if you think about it aggressiveness really is a tail indicator and if I see your tail you are going to lose right along with your aggressive behavior 🤣:)

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Aggression wins more often in poker.

If you raise, you can win the pot with either the best hand, or due to your opponent folding. If you check/call, you can't win unless you have the best hand.

This is the key idea for sure!

It also makes you much harder to play against with this type of aggressive style.

imnoobpoker

imnoobpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you so much for Day 2.

Being aggressive at the tables is hard to learn and must be combined with position, I think. However, at the low stacks there are sometimes many donks playing to aggressive that passive can be profitable.

Yes, I agree playing aggressive is a good thing. For me is playing aggressive max 3betting or raising. Not 5 times the pot. Maybe a thing to learn, or it is because I'm more defensive in my play.

monkey23

monkey23

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
" I used to be aggressive because it was all i knew
Now i am aggressive because i know it's the best strategy"
Garry Kasparov.

mix your style...sometimes aggressive when you are strong...sometimes aggressive when you are weak...sometimes passive when you are strong. Mix these styles seamlessly so your opponents don't know how you are playing any given hand...be unpredictable.

Build yourself a table image....then play contrary to it...then switch back...then change again.

Passive and weak however is a recipe for disaster.

loopie29

loopie29

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A little break can do wonders for the mind! :)

I have indeed experienced the wonder myself.

That terrible session, busting every mtt i was playing at micros within 30mins of starting..

After 4h of this you can imagine it could only go worse, got seriously tilted and could not control the game anymore.

With 4 tables in play, not even at the break time, i decide to go for a walk of 15mins, just not caring about poker.

Once back at the tables the gameflow was miraculous. My attention was hyped, my passion was with me again, the game was just exciting again. Ended up winning an mtt and placing 3rd in another. :joyman:

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you so much for Day 2.

Being aggressive at the tables is hard to learn and must be combined with position, I think. However, at the low stacks there are sometimes many donks playing to aggressive that passive can be profitable.

Yes, I agree playing aggressive is a good thing. For me is playing aggressive max 3betting or raising. Not 5 times the pot. Maybe a thing to learn, or it is because I'm more defensive in my play.

I'm glad you enjoyed Day 2 of the course!

While staying aggressive is the best default approach, I agree that you can take it too far. Particularly against maniacs, sometimes it's best to let them do the betting :)

David macdonald

David macdonald

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have always tried to balance out my game with being passive and aggressive at the right times, Its always good to train our minds to think like a poker player even though we do this without thinking about it.

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Aggression is great, but there are some times to act passive and set traps. You have to vary up your play so that you don't become too easy to play against. I see too many people taking this aggression thing too far. It's like everyone who reads Super System for the first time when they are just starting poker. Aggression is great, but not mindlessly.

DTaboada

DTaboada

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
This is a little controversy for me.... agresive plays against other agressive players usually ends into early all ins situations in fact.... must be carefful here, specially in lo buy ins tournaments and first levels.

M

mclay

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think that position and aggression are the 2 main components in poker. I've seen people, having position and aggression, win hands without even looking at their cards.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that position and aggression are the 2 main components in poker. I've seen people, having position and aggression, win hands without even looking at their cards.

Very true -- in some line-ups you could be profitable just raising blind in late position and c-betting/barreling a lot when called :)

R

RUNRRUNRTO

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for showing the day 2 video. A couple of questions come to my mind. First, do you think that villain would’ve folded if you bet the flop? Do you think that you maximized that hand? This video illustrates the power of position. Would it be recommended to also be aggressive OP, with a wider range of starting hands? I ask this because I feel that if you’re up against stronger players, that they will be able to eventually figure out what range of hands you play out of position, example Player A only plays pocket pairs and high Aces OP and/or only raises preflop OP, within that range. It would be more challenging to exploit Player A if he/she also raised with a wider range OP preflop, eg. JQsuited, 10-J. Keeping in mind when to fold

M

mclay

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Very true -- in some line-ups you could be profitable just raising blind in late position and c-betting/barreling a lot when called :)
Thanks for the comment, I agree with you, and I also think that 3-betting in late positions is also very profitable, since there is both position and aggression.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for showing the day 2 video. A couple of questions come to my mind. First, do you think that villain would’ve folded if you bet the flop? Do you think that you maximized that hand? This video illustrates the power of position. Would it be recommended to also be aggressive OP, with a wider range of starting hands? I ask this because I feel that if you’re up against stronger players, that they will be able to eventually figure out what range of hands you play out of position, example Player A only plays pocket pairs and high Aces OP and/or only raises preflop OP, within that range. It would be more challenging to exploit Player A if he/she also raised with a wider range OP preflop, eg. JQsuited, 10-J. Keeping in mind when to fold

I'm glad you enjoyed the day 2 video. Which of the hands are you referring to in your first questions? Let me know and we're happy to answer. And yes, it's also recommended to be aggressive OOP when you're playing but with a tighter range of starting hands which we'll get to shortly in a lot more detail :)

KRANKES

KRANKES

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have a lot of difficulties in being aggressive in poker, because as games in micro tournaments the players do not place correct bets and play strong hands or fights or that make it difficult to read when the hands are played by my hand. So, really leave my tournament in question. I think with bigger buyins or regular players they place bigger bets accordingly. Even though it is more difficult to read regularly the development of our game it is not "in the hand of chance".
I have the same problem, these guys will call you even with bottom pair, because they think you are bluffing. I think this theory only works, when everyone at the table knows how to play correctly.

shinmenkami

shinmenkami

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i incorporated the classes on my game, and in only 2 lessons i found success and won a intertops freeroll. Thanks for the content and im excited to go further

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have the same problem, these guys will call you even with bottom pair, because they think you are bluffing. I think this theory only works, when everyone at the table knows how to play correctly.

It’s great if you find yourself at a table of calling stations as it is very profitable to aggressively value bet your hands, though you’re right that it wouldn’t be a good situation to fire bluffs!