The Benefits of Aggression (Day 2 Course Discussion)

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i incorporated the classes on my game, and in only 2 lessons i found success and won a intertops freeroll. Thanks for the content and im excited to go further

That’s wonderful to hear, congrats!

boyward

boyward

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just been through lesson 2 on aggression and I was aware I was a very passive player and probably easy to read. I tried to bring some measured aggression into my play, but got burned a little (micro stakes so don't worry) thinking the other players was using aggression to throw me off (I was probably too aggressive post flop and missing the warning signs). I found, however, that I was able to read the table better and was more involved. I slightly loosened to much I think so some refinement is needed but I do understand play better. (Talking 6-player sit and go here). I have limped into the final 2 quite a lot of late but a lot of games it felt like I was hanging on then going all-in late to stay alive. Hopefully being slightly more aggressive will give me a better start in games in the long run and give me a better control of the outcomes. I hope that all makes sense. Cheers guys. Moving onto Lesson 3 ����

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just been through lesson 2 on aggression and I was aware I was a very passive player and probably easy to read. I tried to bring some measured aggression into my play, but got burned a little (micro stakes so don't worry) thinking the other players was using aggression to throw me off (I was probably too aggressive post flop and missing the warning signs). I found, however, that I was able to read the table better and was more involved. I slightly loosened to much I think so some refinement is needed but I do understand play better. (Talking 6-player sit and go here). I have limped into the final 2 quite a lot of late but a lot of games it felt like I was hanging on then going all-in late to stay alive. Hopefully being slightly more aggressive will give me a better start in games in the long run and give me a better control of the outcomes. I hope that all makes sense. Cheers guys. Moving onto Lesson 3

Great work! Making the transition to being an aggressive player can be extremely difficult at first—after all you were probably a lot more comfortable playing the way you were before. These changes will be transformative to your poker game in the long run—so just remember to stay focused on that! :)

boyward

boyward

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great work! Making the transition to being an aggressive player can be extremely difficult at first—after all you were probably a lot more comfortable playing the way you were before. These changes will be transformative to your poker game in the long run—so just remember to stay focused on that! :)

Thanks so much for the reply Katie. I am really enjoying my poker study and I am enjoying bring new knowledge and playing style to my game. I definitely feel more in control and less of a passenger, which is also enjoyable. 😎

lauestla

lauestla

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am a natural tight player (20/15).
Even if I almost never limp the hands i am involved in, I am certainly to easy to read.
So this chapter showed me that I should make more agressive moves, like reraise preflop for example.
Gonna work on it ;)

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even if I almost never limp the hands i am involved in, I am certainly to easy to read.
So this chapter showed me that I should make more agressive moves, like reraise preflop for example.
Gonna work on it ;)

That’s sure to make a huge improvement on your results in the long run—way to go! :)

KaliMera

KaliMera

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Aggression

Dankeschön dass dieses Wissen hier frei für jeden zugänglich ist. :eek:ben:

Habe die ersten 2 Lektionen genossen und freue mich auf die Nächsten.Mir ist aufgefallen, dass man bei der aggressiven Spielweise deutlich mehr Möglichkeiten hat als bei der passiven. :deal:
In Kombination mit einer etwas tighten Variante hat man den Gegner besser unter Kontrolle. :D
Gerade wenn im Tunier immer weniger Spieler am Tisch sitzen, zwingt man die Gegner ihre schlechten Starthände Pre-Flop abzulegen. Sollte der Gegenspieler dann doch raisen weiss man gleich woran man ist. Kann die Aktionen besser einschätzen. :angel:

Wenn man ständig nur Call / Fold spielt. Gibt man dem Gegner nur die Chance durch ein Anspiel uns aus dem Pot zu bluffen. Somit hat er dann ganz leichtes Spiel :eek:

Wünsche euch eine gute Hand
Kali :cool:

PokerLibrarian

PokerLibrarian

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Gonna work on it ;)

Yeah, I hear you! I play waaaay too tight right now. This Day 2 content was very helpful and I’m going to start playing more aggressively.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, I hear you! I play waaaay too tight right now. This Day 2 content was very helpful and I’m going to start playing more aggressively.

We'll give specific pre-flop ranges soon, and we're glad to hear that the course has you thinking about your play already -- good luck on the upcoming days!

PokerLibrarian

PokerLibrarian

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay, how is this for an update?

We'll give specific pre-flop ranges soon, and we're glad to hear that the course has you thinking about your play already -- good luck on the upcoming days!

Quick update. With the caveat that I am not playing for real money yet (just gold coins on Global Poker) which no doubt impacts the play and is generally against a bunch of weak competition, but I decided to play an hourly freeroll to just test playing more aggressive and I'll be darned if I didn't win the whole tournament! :D

No doubt there was some luck involved and I am sure once I step up the competition I won't be this successful after each daily lesson, but I am pretty pumped! And tired, as I had only intended to play about 30 minutes before going to bed! :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 8.02.47 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 8.02.47 AM.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 61
Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Quick update. With the caveat that I am not playing for real money yet (just gold coins on Global Poker) which no doubt impacts the play and is generally against a bunch of weak competition, but I decided to play an hourly freeroll to just test playing more aggressive and I'll be darned if I didn't win the whole tournament! :D

No doubt there was some luck involved and I am sure once I step up the competition I won't be this successful after each daily lesson, but I am pretty pumped! And tired, as I had only intended to play about 30 minutes before going to bed! :)

That’s great to hear, congrats! Don’t worry that winning required some luck—winning a tournament always does, but by playing our aggressive A-game we give ourselves the best possible shot of scoring a victory—which you did! Well done! :)

steveeeee

steveeeee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree preflop agressive flop passive turn passive river agressive not sure where to answer now

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree preflop agressive flop passive turn passive river agressive not sure where to answer now

Right here’s the perfect spot for today’s quiz question answers. Nice work :)

psycodelic1

psycodelic1

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i guess the experience has a big factor in this because when you hav to slow down the action is better than bluffing all the stack

frazzle1991

frazzle1991

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
Aggression definitely helps take down more from the middle, especially in position & in later stages of tournaments. it's also a good way to figure out what your opponent might be playing based on their response/time taken to act etc.

frazzle1991

frazzle1991

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
I'm playing a 1.05 KO on GG right now, observing position and folding marginal hands, also being slightly more aggressive with the nut hands AQo+ JJ+. I've comfortably been tourney leader for the past half hour :D hope I can keep it up.

frazzle1991

frazzle1991

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
Good results , lost a flip on the bubble, call 1bb UTG +1 Q10o, low jack calls Ac2c , cut off calls , big blinds check. flop Qc5c2s i raise 2bb LJ calls , CO fold BB folds. Turn card 7s, i raise 4bb LJ shoves , i call river Ah.

O

Ofarah

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What happens when aggression faces aggression? I hate getting into aggressive spots in position near the bubble with say 99,10s, JJ only to receive aggression back my way to which leaves me in tough spots a lot of the time. It doesn’t feel good folding JJ but I’ve lost on these mid/high pairs way too much lately so if I face any aggression with these hands near the bubble I’m folding.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What happens when aggression faces aggression? I hate getting into aggressive spots in position near the bubble with say 99,10s, JJ only to receive aggression back my way to which leaves me in tough spots a lot of the time. It doesn’t feel good folding JJ but I’ve lost on these mid/high pairs way too much lately so if I face any aggression with these hands near the bubble I’m folding.

The good news on when you have a strong but middling hand, chose to play aggressively, but are then met with more aggression is that you’ve learned a lot of information. In a similar spot that we played more passively we could easily end up losing more because our opponent’s show of strength wouldn’t be as remarkable and thus indicate a stronger holding than our own a lot of the time.

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes it seems to me that being aggressive leads me to win less chips by doing opponents to fold.

How to know that we are facing someone strong when they do not abandon, knowing and making notes of the players?

Rockyfour

Rockyfour

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes it seems to me that being aggressive leads me to win less chips by doing opponents to fold.

How to know that we are facing someone strong when they do not abandon, knowing and making notes of the players?
If someone is uber aggro that you wanna play passive to maximize value as there is better odds of them betting into you then them calling a bet, so it's better to play passive against these types of players. Everyone else however, it's best to play your hand aggressively for value.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

If you're losing chips because your opponents are folding too often, it sounds like the one adjustment you should consider making is when you have a very strong hand to allow players to continue bluffing.

For example, suppose that an opponent bets into you on a 772 flop. You hold A7. Just call and allow them to continue bluffing when they don't have a hand.