** April's Micro Grinder Thread 2NL - 25NL **

GeoffLacey

GeoffLacey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the villain obv. I've had a fish yesterday check call my flop cbet. Bet turn and bet river w/ a nutflush draw on flop that never hit.
Generally from a TAG I'd just give respect without a very good hand just for getting out of marginal spots...

I've started in Professional No-Limit Holdem, the book.
Would there be any interest in me doing a summary of an interesting topic or something ?

This would be seriously cool enty.

eNTy

eNTy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I could already give a quick run down of implied an reverse implied odds and the difference between them. For starters anyway :).

ajrobin

ajrobin

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Finally had the session I needed at 5nl. Moved up on Sat with $120, not great BRM but I knew I was ready. Ran pretty break even, then hit some really bad luck and players seemed to catch cards on me. Lost 3 buy ins but I knew it was luck and I could beat the level. Anyway took yesterday off and just put in a ~45min session with a 25$ profit, 5 buy ins. Hit some tasty sets: JJ vs QQ vs AA, finally started hitting my draws soo all good. Sitting at $180 now :)

GunslingerZ

GunslingerZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
eNTy, I think PNL is a great book, I would love a discussion.

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Currently trying to learn 6-max so I've dropped back to 25nl. Playing very nitty atm and finding it very profitable. We'll see how long I stay away from FR this time.

Yeah WV joning the 6max ho's. Welcome dude! You should make a mint at 6max with your style of play ie NSD winnings!

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe we should start a thread :D

If you do, please link here - I'm in the middle of the book (just started planning around commitment), it's really really really good, thinking about hands very differently as a result.

O

orangepeeleo

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Finally had the session I needed at 5nl. Moved up on Sat with $120, not great BRM but I knew I was ready. Ran pretty break even, then hit some really bad luck and players seemed to catch cards on me. Lost 3 buy ins but I knew it was luck and I could beat the level. Anyway took yesterday off and just put in a ~45min session with a 25$ profit, 5 buy ins. Hit some tasty sets: JJ vs QQ vs AA, finally started hitting my draws soo all good. Sitting at $180 now :)

Well done man, i started playing cash games at 5nl with a deposit of $100 so ur brm wasnt that bad lol, i also lost 4 BI's in my first session so i basically started off with $80 :D

I'd have though making the move from 2nl as early as possible would be the +ev way of doing things anyways??, i never bothered with 2nl but i imagine its just about getting the volume in and nutpeddling.

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Plz dont start a new thread for the PNL, discuss it here. That was this thread was intended for discussion of strategy. This thread is basically a LC thread atm and needs toughening up.

You guys need to look at loads of different things that was mentiontioned in the last thread, 3-betting, why are you doing it, value/bluffs. CB'ing when to do it and why. Floating/double barreling/ which lines work best for different opponents, hand ranges and how you apply them, and all that shizz!

Even better why don't one of you guys pick a tough hand from your database and discuss your reasoning on how you played the hand, and alternative lines that could be employed.

eNTy

eNTy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah that's why I asked, I assumed it would be best to do it in here but I wasn't sure if it wouldn't clog stuff up..

ajrobin

ajrobin

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good point Jag, heres a hand that gave me pause for thought just 5 mins ago. This is 2 hands in so stats on villians irrepresentative. The large PF raise is debatable i suppose with a marginal hand but all those limpers were dying for a punishing. The c-raise on a dryish screams set to me but am i really ready to give up?

--------------------
HAND #1
--------------------

poker stars, $0.02/$0.05 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 7 Players
Hand History Converter by Stoxpoker

MP1: $3.13 (62.6 bb)
MP2: $4.59 (91.8 bb)
MP3: $6.70 (134 bb)
CO: $6.42 (128.4 bb)
Hero (BTN): $5 (100 bb)
SB: $4.95 (99 bb)
BB: $3.02 (60.4 bb)

Pre-Flop: Hero is BTN with T A
MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.05, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.05, Hero raises to $0.25, SB folds, BB calls $0.20, MP2 calls $0.20, CO calls $0.20

Flop: ($1.02) 3 A T (4 players)
BB checks, MP2 checks, CO checks, Hero bets $0.45, BB folds, MP2 raises to $1.25...

Will post results later.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMO, I dont think people bet draws I think they prefer to check them until they actually hit it and then show aggression. Therefore if a person is showing aggression it means they usually have something but its villian dependent what they have. Some will play sets the same way others will play TPTK.

Yeah, I have to get used to that. Of course the reason I posted the question is after losing KK to a set mine that I really should have read, but I couldn't fold.

:(

But I would definitely say that Jurn is closer to the truth at 25NL and up. If they are still overplaying draws at those limits you need to buddy list them.

Well, if I've got the nut flush draw plus overs I'll pressure a preflop raiser on the flop, because I want to grab my fold equity and get chips in before the flush fills and kills the action. But my mistake is thinking too often that other players are thinking the same way. But like Jurn says, most prefer to chase their draws.

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty tricky play to flat AA preflop, even TT, so if it's a set I'd think it's 33. I think A3 is in his range, and worse hands (TPGK) as well. I wouldn't be letting this hand go, especially IP.

kleitches

kleitches

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good point Jag, heres a hand that gave me pause for thought just 5 mins ago. This is 2 hands in so stats on villians irrepresentative. The large PF raise is debatable i suppose with a marginal hand but all those limpers were dying for a punishing. The c-raise on a dryish screams set to me but am i really ready to give up?

--------------------
HAND #1
--------------------

Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 7 Players

MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.05, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.05, Hero raises to $0.25, SB folds, BB calls $0.20, MP2 calls $0.20, CO calls $0.20

BB checks, MP2 checks, CO checks, Hero bets $0.45, BB folds, MP2 raises to $1.25...

Will post results later.

I'm willing to stack this 100% against an unknown. We could make a case for folding if it were a guy that you had stats on that was a complete nit, but here we're getting it in. The question is how? Since the board is so dry, flatting and seeing a turn card isn't so horrible, since you're in position and he is likely to fire again. I think I just like jamming over the top of his re-raise on the flop though.

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Give up that hand if you hate money! It's possible yes he could have 33/TT, very much doubt he has AA, but it's possible coz spaz's do stuff like that. More likely is some Ax hand or some str8 draw. Now the next point is do we raise and fold out worse or do we string him along?

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
stack it off !

Ax is deffo in his range, people will stack Ax IMO there.

even AK/AQ is in his range IMO!

O

orangepeeleo

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
stack it off !

Ax is deffo in his range, people will stack Ax IMO there.

even AK/AQ is in his range IMO!

This i think.

5NL, Ax is without a doubt in his range and judging by his raise he's stacking the flop all day long, your only really afraid of 2 hands there and the number of hands an unknown @ 5nl gets excited about there far outweigh the 3 hands that have you beat.

Flat calling to try and string him along isn't an option at all imo, any broadway cards on the turn give you some tough decisions b/c if he hasn't made a set the hands he'd make that raise with are like AK,AQ,AJ,KQ,KJ,QJ, if any K,Q,or J come on the turn i would say our chances of being ahead drop considerably.

I get all the money in now, expecting a call and cursing the poker gods if he shows up with a set

dsvw56

dsvw56

I'm a Taurus
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This i think.

5NL, Ax is without a doubt in his range and judging by his raise he's stacking the flop all day long, your only really afraid of 2 hands there and the number of hands an unknown @ 5nl gets excited about there far outweigh the 3 hands that have you beat.

Flat calling to try and string him along isn't an option at all imo, any broadway cards on the turn give you some tough decisions b/c if he hasn't made a set the hands he'd make that raise with are like AK,AQ,AJ,KQ,KJ,QJ, if any K,Q,or J come on the turn i would say our chances of being ahead drop considerably.

I get all the money in now, expecting a call and cursing the poker gods if he shows up with a set

This pretty much. Guys at 5NL rarely, if ever, raise/fold even when they have total air. Just ship it and expect to get looked up by any ace, a T occasionally, and some straight draws.

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
got a bit of a question/discussion but will post tomorrow as im tired

night night micros!

M

Michelle5000

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

--------------------
HAND #1
--------------------

Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 7 Players

Will post results later.

With no read i'm getting it in here. If he is holding 33 then its a cooler. But only 2combo's of AA and TT and 3 of 33. So 5 combo's and u looking at alot of combo's of AK/AQ but then again. Obviously as a general rule, he's more likely to stack the sets that TPTK hands - so u lean towards those hands. But you do have 16 combo's of AK/AQ. So 5/16well... only 4 in reality as u'd expect him to 3bet AA. Then again, i just stacked a player with AJ when i held 44 on a AJ4 board. Stilll, i'm getting it in at 4c nl -_-

Hey lets not rule out A3 or T3 at mirco stakes lol

eNTy

eNTy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is basically taken straight out of PNL so I suggest you all get it :p

Chapter: Odds and Outs

Jagsti mentioned this before:

The Four Times Rule.
Odds converted to chance of winning.
Outs on flop x4 = the chance of winning by the river.
So if you have 10 outs on the flop, you have approx a 40% chance of winning by the river.

The Times Two Rule.
It's the same but only with one card to come. So the chances of winning by the next card is your outs x2. Eg: 6 outs on flop, 12% of winning on turn. 10 outs on turn = 20% chance of winning on river.

Obviously this doesn't take into account the times when not all of your outs are clean. You'll have to make educated guesses here. You have to think how many times your good if you hit and multiply that by your outs. So if you're outs are 3 Aces and you only think they are good half the time, you really only have 1.5 outs. But this is more of a feel you need to develop.

Implied Odds.
Implied Odds (IO) come into play when there is money behind. That is to say the bet you are calling is not the all-in bet, there will most likely be bets on later streets. So IO is the ratio of what you can win at the end of the hand vs what you're risking.

Your IO can be better than your pot odds (PO). Say ur getting 3-1 on a call on the flop with a gutshot, but if you hit your gutshot you'll win much more than what is in the pot at the time you make the call. Again you have to guess and estimate how much you'll get out of him if you hit and adjust your odds accordingly. Say you need to call $1 in a $3 pot, but if you hit you can get another $5 out of him (an estimate) then your IO would be 8-1 as opposed to 3-1 which are your pot odds.

Reverse Implied Odds (or Negative Implied Odds).
Your Pot Odds can also be better than your Implied Odds in the same way. Say you have TPTK but you think villain is drawing. If he hits his draw you're most likely going to lose more bets on later streets. If he doesn't hit, villain will probably fold and you'll only win what's in the pot.

Here the IO offer the same possible win (what is in the pot now) as the pot odds. But there is more potential risk (what you will lose on later streets).

The goal of Pot Odds and Implied Odds is to estimate your Pay Out Odds. Think about what you can win extra if you hit, and estimate what it might cost if villain draws out.

Hope this helps, although I feel kind of dirty doing this because it's basically copying of what is said in PNL :(.

kleitches

kleitches

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well hello there, 10nl! Moved back down to rebuild the roll after a little tiff at 25nl. No worries though, not a huge dent to the BR, just moving down for confidence purposes. Should be back up in no time at all. :)

Richyl2008

Richyl2008

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice post enty, IMO PNL is the best no limit book on the market (afaik under $1000 anyways) I had to read it a few times to absorb everything.