All in pre-flop

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All in pre flop is only luck,nothing more!

LOL no such thing as luck when you hold the "best" starting pre-flop hand all--in. Even if all 9 players go all-in including you, holding aces will always give you the "best" percentage to win.

Granted the more people all-in the more my percentage to win goes down. But again having the "best" percentage to win is definitely much more desirable then having the "worst" percentage to win. One doesn't need "luck" to win and/or catch up when again having the "best" to start out with.

A

Acunaaldje

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It means he's predictable, use it!

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
Played with equilab little bit. Gave opponent top 40%.

AA vs top 40% has 85%
KK vs top 40% has 78%
QQ vs top 40% has 73%
JJ vs top 40% has 69%
TT vs top 40% has 66%
AK vs top 40% has 65%
AQ vs top 40% has 63%

would be huge mistake to fold this hands against someone who is that agressive.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I found the Cardschat calculator here

https://www.cardschat.com/poker-odds-calculator.php#calculator

It gives the same results.

I give myself 2 aces

I give my heads up opponent 2 aces.

The calculator says preflop I have 2.21% chance of winning and my opponent has 2.3% chance

But that cannot be right.

We both have 50% chance of winning since our hands are identical
If your opponent has 2 red Aces and the flop is all red, they have a flush. Red cards have a slightly better chance of flopping, which is why your opponent has a slight edge to win preflop.

D

Dani_California

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your opponent has 2 red Aces and the flop is all red, they have a flush. Red cards have a slightly better chance of flopping, which is why your opponent has a slight edge to win preflop.

If your opponent has two red Aces and the flop is all red, it's not a flush yet. Even though the flop would be all hearts or all diamonds, your opponent still needs one more card. I also don't believe that red cards would have any better chances of flopping something good than black cards. How would that be true?

G

gofish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AA is 80%+ to win vs 1 opponent, unless of course they have AA too. You have to call vs 1 opponent. The only time to fold AA is when you're at a 9 seater table and the 8 donks before you go all in, you're much more likely to lose in that situation.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AA is 80%+ to win vs 1 opponent, unless of course they have AA too. You have to call vs 1 opponent. The only time to fold AA is when you're at a 9 seater table and the 8 donks before you go all in, you're much more likely to lose in that situation.
No. You still have the best chance at winning. All other hands in a 9 way all in have worse odds to win than AA.

B

Bobomb

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only time to fold AA is when you're at a 9 seater table and the 8 donks before you go all in

You need to shove that. You're risking one stack to win eight, with about a one-in-three chance of winning. That's profitable if you're all-in every time you're in that spot, with added table image bonus.

Oliver Wayne

Oliver Wayne

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just play more cash games. There are fewer such players.

T

Two6JJ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to get your big hands in against these players. Yes it can invite variance but these players can allow you to double up easily when you have your monsters.

M

mojorising

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I got the same scenario come up again

Me with pocket kings

Me UTG+1

UTG goes all in for 100BB

I called him this time

and the 2 after me called him too

And I one with a single pair of kings

Nobody else had anything.

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With that many players in the hand AA doesn't look as good. A lot of people here are overlooking the pact that AA is just a pair. The best pair? yes. I too am hesitant to playing just coin flips with my cards. That is not the game I am playing, you can pick any game to bet money on, playing "poker" is what I chose. Makes no sense in playing "bingo".
Sometimes late in a tourney when everyone is trying to steal I hate to get AA right before the bubble. I know I have to play them aggressively, just have to hope they hold up is all. Don't get me wrong, I do really want them then.

D

Dani_California

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With that many players in the hand AA doesn't look as good. A lot of people here are overlooking the pact that AA is just a pair. The best pair? yes. I too am hesitant to playing just coin flips with my cards. That is not the game I am playing, you can pick any game to bet money on, playing "poker" is what I chose. Makes no sense in playing "bingo".
Sometimes late in a tourney when everyone is trying to steal I hate to get AA right before the bubble. I know I have to play them aggressively, just have to hope they hold up is all. Don't get me wrong, I do really want them then.

Yes, AA is just a pair but you have to remember that we are talking about preflop situations and it IS the best hand preflop. Unless your opponents have AA as well, they too have only one pair at tops and most likely a smaller one. And if they don't have a pair, they need at least two cards to beat you. You also have a chance to hit a set with your Aces. If I remember correctly, Daniel Negreanu or Doyle Brunson (don't remember which one) have said that it's never a mistake to call all-in preflop with AA, no matter how many players are in. I kind of understand your point of view as well when you don't want to play bingo but sometimes it is like that. You still have an edge if you are calling with AA. I know I would.

AMTF1988

AMTF1988

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will always play aces, however, the only exception is if I'm near the bubble and I've got someone in capable of getting me out. I'd rather cash in that situation rather than crash out

M

mojorising

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not like playing 'bingo' either but with aggressive irrational players sometimes you have to make a call.

Now that I know the actual odds I think it must always be right to call if only thinking in terms of pot odds .

If you are heads up then you are odds on.

With more callers you might not be odds on anymore but the leverage on the pot odds still make calling the right bet. i.e. if you ended up in that situation enough times the odds mean you will come out ahead.

G

gofish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With online poker, remember that AA will win less than 60% of the time for you, not the 77.5-82% it should be. 77.5% I do believe against a suited 56.. :)

Good luck at the tables.

sryulaw

sryulaw

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The equilab program has your answer ...
but most of the time you have it.73.19%

jimmy andres

jimmy andres

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, the chances of winning in these situations pre flop vary a lot, but if you see that your opponent goes all in very often, you can even as long as you get a good hand like AK or AQ are strong hands that you can use to get your Rival who is playing a lottery instead of a good poker!!!

B

Bobomb

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Not a convincing case.

I just checked, and my results with AA over the last 3 months are a little higher than expected. (Of course, I attribute the excess to pure skill :))

So the question is - if you're really doing that badly with pocket aces, what are you doing wrong?

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Folding pocket aces preflop is not cautious play it is a huge mistake from your side