Is YouTube, Netflix killing your game?

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Anyone beside me watches movies or videos while playing poker?

It has to Negatively affect my game somehow, since I am not giving it the attention it deserves.

toots babos

toots babos

ex-tornament grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
stop watching Netflix or youtube then....

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Sometimes , while I watch youtube or Netflix , the poker table doesn't come to the foreground , especially if the video window is maximised , then time bank starts automatically , I sit out and lose hands . Frustrating when it happens , but if the window is smaller (not maximised ) this problem happens very rarely .

As for the focus , yes , indeed it's less than playing by only watching the poker table , also I don't learn new moves by copying other players . But , at night especially , I am tired , I cannot only play poker , want to do sth more to keep me awake and awaken :) Also to have more fun .

I bought Netflix subscription recently . I thought it would have many more blockbusters from the past , cause it is a very successfull platform . Anyway , my list of movies to see in the future is full for the time being . Not a fan of the series for now:)

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm better with music than video. Find myself either not knowing what the hell is going on with the program to timing out at the table. Radio is more background noise and focus is there.

Maxmustdie

Maxmustdie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
maximum music
video interferes very much

F

Fjarri

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find that distraction while playing lower stakes can actually be advantageous. Whether the distraction is Netflix / Youtube / music / a book / studying poker / playing on many tables is irrelevant. This is because I tend to overplay my hands when I'm bored, which is never good in low stakes. Simple, strong fundamentals poker is more profitable there, but is also more boring. I sometimes even intentionally create distractions for myself when I start to get bored and feel the overplays coming; I've been doing less of this lately, thankfully, keeping my game in check more by willpower rather than distractions.

H

HungryLyan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lucky for me I play poker on my mobile phone so I can't even watch YouTube/Netflix while playing poker so maybe I suggest you do it my way.

diego farfan

diego farfan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
of course it hurts to do various things while playing and makes you make mistakes that tell you tournaments or games what I do I turn off everything and put music to be able to concentrate better and perform better in the game

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Doing anything other than playing poker while you are playing poker is going to be a distraction. That being said, I am of course guilty of doing this myself. I usually have the T.V. on while I'm playing. But I will usually put it on shows or movies that I've seen before. That way I'm not compelled to give them my full attention. If I'm watching a new movie, then I'm going to want to watch it closely so that I don't miss details that affect the overall context of the movie. But if I'm playing and something like "Conan the Barbarian" comes on, it doesn't command my full attention because it doesn't matter if I don't catch every detail as I've seen it so many times over the years.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes I watch movies while playing. But nevertheless I keep concentration and try to make only thoughtful decisions.

C

Cezar23927

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I watch movies while playing on my phone, and it helps because I play 10 People fifty sng normal speed and I have to fold a lot s-o this way IT îs not boring

F

futureballoon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah, i tried to do other stuff while playing and I my game definitely suffers. I play the best when I'm calm and focused on just one game... although it can be boring but it does give me better reads on the competition.

M

Mikeloti13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're not getting enough from poker if you have a need to watch netflix or youtube while playing. Not enough satisfaction lets say. You need to focus while playing. So if you dont feel like that take a break.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i'm often doing multiple things while i play like watching a movie, watching a movie and browsing cardschat, reddit, or youtube, sometimes i watch a movie/youtube videos on my laptop in a smaller window while i'm playing a video game on another tv. other times, i'm doing something else like folding laundry or cooking dinner. very rarely am i just focused on the game alone.

it's possibly affecting my game negatively but it's whatever, i don't really care.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
You cannot watch both and espesiallly poker with the appropriate attention. Poker is a fight. It is like watching a movie while you are in a fight for your life! Poker needs attention, it has maths!

F

FergusDec

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd say my wife is more distracting than anything else...

Anyone beside me watches movies or videos while playing poker?

It has to Negatively affect my game somehow, since I am not giving it the attention it deserves.

V

valetgll

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is a possible situation. If you have been playing for a long time and you already have a decision, it’s as if it’s going amo why not to watch the movie.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You cannot watch both and espesiallly poker with the appropriate attention. Poker is a fight. It is like watching a movie while you are in a fight for your life! Poker needs attention, it has maths!
i wouldn't compare a $1 mtt with fighting for my life, that's so silly.

the $1 mtt has way more value.

D

doom

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
if you play only 1-2 table it is ok sometimes i play 1 tournament for 4+hour only 1 table

J

jorgetorres0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
of course it affects, any distraction from the game action will be detrimental to you

ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips
If you have extra money and don’t mind losing, you can simultaneously watch what you want. But if the game is responsible, with large prize pools, then I prefer to play in silence, focusing only on poker:captain:

nimburkx

nimburkx

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes you put into poker game so much focus and tensions trying to play the quality game and go all-in with good hands and most cases 1 of 10 times of fortune you get out flipped and tilted I don't know how is focus matter for it

I

IanP304

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am the opposite, I play poker on a mobile device with the TV on in the background. As I am focused on the poker I never have a clue what is going on in the movie / TV show :rolleyes:

Top 10 Games