Can you stop the gamble?

C

cowboybebop

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It was pretty hard for me to get my mind to adjust, and to not let emotions get in my way. I somehow have absolute control right now, where before when I would lose I would go and gamble a lot of money on cash games. Its very important to learn self control.

S

silkestud4

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I recently noticed that I get goofy as a poker player and start seriously gambling (playing loose aggressive) after few tournaments have not gone my way.. what about you guys..?
How do you control this?

I can certainly relate.
For me, i find it hard to find a tournament that suits me.

Usually i feel the blind levels take too long.
Sit and go tournaments are too small in size.

So, after a few hours in a tournament, i start to notice i begin to play differently.
And usually it comes from the game feeling too slow and never ending.

Wish there were some nice tournaments that started and ended within 4 hours.

No rebuy or late reg.

yango

yango

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I recently noticed that I get goofy as a poker player and start seriously gambling (playing loose aggressive) after few tournaments have not gone my way.. what about you guys..?
How do you control this?
This is the manic effect, when the hands no longer favor you at any table and you get to press by winning good hands and thus also losing everything in one hand that happens through freerolls, you usually get to have that type of game because of the enormous variance that you have because we find in those tournaments players who don't have to lose anything, that's why in the end playing aggressive and manic are the options that most people take at that time.

M

mclay

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
If I'm not lucky in cash games, I just close everything and go to other things, if I'm not lucky in tournaments, then I just play on the card and think that I will definitely be lucky in other tournaments. Ludomania is not a problem for me at all.

Jogo4

Jogo4

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Simple answer, don't play one tournament after another.
Control your anxiety.
Think tomorrow is another day, today I had a great time... One day for the hunt and another for the hunter.

oleg8519

oleg8519

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
it is impossible to stop the excitement is an dependence that needs to be used by a psychiatrist

nerobs9

nerobs9

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Everything can boil inside me, but I just close the game. I know that all my feelings and emotions will pass)

AzazeL0707

AzazeL0707

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
How do you control this?
Sometimes the game is giving you such a good cards you don’t expect the next one to have bigger hand 🤣

fryderyk

fryderyk

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Well, everyone makes mistakes and so do I. But I try not to play too much if I'm not doing well.

S

shockwave13

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What I noticed is if you play a few free rolls and get warmed up BEFORE you go in to big games, you will gamble less and play more.

So why not try to do a freeroll before you do a paid game

Skot_Gy

Skot_Gy

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
It is hard to stop this, as i experienced myself.
Just need to step back a few minutes and refocus... but it's hard alright

Rockyfour

Rockyfour

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are better things in life than playing cards or gambling. I wouldn't play if I was noticing it was making me upset.

nakiesQUensyyy

nakiesQUensyyy

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
No, personally, I'm not already a part of my life, and even if I somehow stop, it's for a short time

23maxim88

23maxim88

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
How do you control this?
I'm just thinking for myself that if I play like that, I'll regret those actions at the end of the poker session. I need to calm down to play more consistently, and during breaks, I can go outside to get some fresh air.

istbno

istbno

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Gambling as a result of tilt in poker is a common issue that many players face. Tilt refers to a state of emotional frustration or distress that negatively affects decision-making at the poker table. When experiencing tilt, some players may resort to gambling behavior, such as making impulsive and irrational bets or chasing losses, which can lead to further negative outcomes. To address this issue, here are some strategies to help manage tilt and avoid engaging in gambling behavior:

1. Recognize the Signs of Tilt: Awareness is key. Learn to recognize the signs of tilt, which can include heightened emotional reactions, impulsive actions, irrational bets, or a desire to immediately recoup losses. Being able to identify when you are experiencing tilt is the first step in addressing it.
  2. Take a Break: If you find yourself on tilt and tempted to engage in gambling behavior, step away from the game. Take a short break, whether it's a few minutes or a longer period, to regain composure and allow yourself time to calm down.
  3. Practice Emotional Control: Work on developing emotional control and resilience. Learn techniques such as deep breathing, mindfulness, or meditation to help regulate emotions and stay focused during poker sessions. Taking a few moments to center yourself can help prevent impulsive gambling decisions driven by tilt.
  4. Implement Stop-Loss and Session-Loss Limits: Set clear limits for yourself before each poker session. Determine how much money you are willing to risk or lose, and commit to stopping once those limits are reached. Having predefined stop-loss and session-loss limits can help prevent you from chasing losses or engaging in reckless gambling behavior.
  5. Analyze Your Tilt Patterns: Take the time to analyze your tilt patterns and identify triggers that lead to tilt. It could be specific situations, bad beats, or personal factors. Once you understand your triggers, you can develop strategies to minimize their impact or avoid them altogether.
  6. Maintain a Positive Mindset: Cultivate a positive and resilient mindset towards poker. Accept that losses and variance are part of the game and focus on making sound decisions based on strategy rather than trying to immediately recover losses through gambling behavior. Emphasize the long-term results rather than short-term outcomes.
  7. Seek Support: Share your experiences and frustrations with fellow poker players or a support group. Talking to others who understand the challenges of tilt and gambling behavior can provide valuable insights, advice, and support to help you navigate through it.
Remember, managing tilt and avoiding gambling behavior requires discipline, self-awareness, and a commitment to responsible play. By implementing strategies to control your emotions, setting limits, and seeking support, you can minimize the negative impact of tilt and make more rational and informed decisions at the poker table.

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Of course, I can get carried away, but, in general, when I understand that it doesn't work, I stop playing, because I understand what can happen.

neptunas888

neptunas888

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I also tilt after bad beats.. It's hard for me to deal with it.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can I stop the gamble?! Easy! Or almost easy... But every time this gets by differently... But anyway I stop the gamble,
saving and protecting my bankroll!The All is OK! I'm controlling situation...

pankoffff

pankoffff

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I have also noticed that players who have lost several hands in a row tend to make loose actions.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
How do you control this?
I have had similar situations, once in a Pub game I was playing I actually won the first game and then was badgered into playing a 2nd game, which I was not really in the mood for, I felt tired and drained mentally from the concentration in the first game, so I paid the buy in and shoved all-in on every hand until I got a caller and was beaten.
I didn't mind losing the buy-in as I had already won the first game, I just needed to go out and gave myself some "relax time". They thought I was afraid of losing the buy-in and was just being greedy not wanting to lose the money I had just won, but nothing could have been further than the truth which was "I was Knackered!"
When the Fun Stops, STOP! (I did)

ChubbySin

ChubbySin

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How do you control this?
I have a regular job, which keeps me really busy, and I'm training boxe (I like sports), so in my case is gambling is just a part of my life, not my entire life!

vitas_top

vitas_top

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I always keep my emotions under control and play in a disciplined manner. Maybe I'm kidding myself, though.

Goggelheimer

Goggelheimer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How do you control this?
They only way to control this is personal discipline, working on your tournaments. Review your hands and check if they have been played badly, did you bluff too much, did you make most moves with a +EV expectation and so on. All longterm + EV moves will sum up one day as a bigger payout.
Splashing chips and money due to lose tilt play is not +EV.
Perhaps take a break, the time period depends on the strength of the tilting influences.
Always reflect on your game.
Variance is a steady companion you can't avoid, but you can learn risk management.

Kerasuss28

Kerasuss28

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
NL
Chips
How do you control this?
Im 39years old gambling for 21years , never changed , poker is just like a break for gambling , because i can play a tournament for ,4/5 hours with the same money , i know egzakt wat you mean ,i have the same problem with poker allso . I cant change it 🍀👍 good luck

K

Kurchina

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BA
Chips
Used to have major issues with tilt, but I've become a lot calmer lately. You need to work on your mindset, and accept that bad beats and variance are part of the game. Terrible players will call you with nothing and get with with runners. That's life. But in the long run, you'll outplay them.

Related Gambling Guides: AU Gambling - CA Gambling - UK Gambling - NZ Gambling - Online Gambling