WSOP Main Event

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But a lot of the women who do play poker don't fit your description at all.
I wouldn't expect any woman who plays poker to fit, unless she's playing small quantities recreationally.

Which is why women are such a small % of the field. The poker mindset is not normal among them.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wouldn't expect any woman who plays poker to fit, unless she's playing small quantities recreationally.

Which is why women are such a small % of the field. The poker mindset is not normal among them.

I am a woman and I disagree with you. I think it is more due to lack of exposure to the game. That is why we push for Ladies only events.

A

AvaloNNN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would bet that Durr will make it to the final table.. He's my poker idol !!
I like Dwan, but I will disagree with you. He's one of the top cash game players, but very modest tournament player.

S

ScottishMatt

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing poker requires a mentality that, quite frankly, most of the female population doesn't possess. The predatory nature of the game and aggressive demands don't match with most females in society, probably partially due to the image that society projects however that is a whole different topic. Not to say that women who don't have an aggressive streak aren't going to play the game, it's just that like anything else losing is no fun and us being experienced poker players know that passivity and weakness are desirable traits in opponents. If women feel like they are being bullied at the table they aren't going to come back for some more.

I don't mean to be offensive by making assumptions Debi, so I'll apologise first and let you know this is only for comparisons sake. Knowing almost nothing about you other than that you play poker I think I can accurately be of the opinion that you are more confident, assertive and logical than most females. That is only naming three, there will no doubt be other qualities that are more prominent among female poker players but I'm no psychologist.

Agree that the ladies events are a good thing. The more ladies playing poker the more likely it is that us degens have a chance at finding love!

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Our poker club sends one player every year so I hope he binks it or at least cashes. I too think it would be super for poker if a woman binked the Main Event. But overall I'd wish for a final table with a couple of amateurs, a well known engaging pro and at least one tilt-inducing SOB to make things interesting :)

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But a lot of the women who do play poker don't fit your description at all. Women are still a very small percentage of the field - that is why women are not winning the World Series.

I want one if the three people I have a stake in to win it lol.

Yes, HENCE MY USE OF THE WORD GENERALLY....

This isn't hard people....there are SOME women who are risk takers and are fine with blowing off a few K in a cash game on a Sat. There are not as many women per capita as men, PERIOD, who seem to enjoy putting money at risk be it in a poker game, or anything else.

FWIW, for the vast majority of the population this is correct thinking...and women are now in many ways outperforming men in a lot of financial metrics.

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am a woman and I disagree with you.
I know you are. But like, the vast majority of women I've met (as in, all but two or three ever) are completely disinterested in gambling -- many of the ones close to me raise hell when I tell them I intend to become a full-time poker pro.

THIS DOES NOT MEAN EVERY WOMAN EVER IS LIKE THIS. It just means that women being risk averse (and thus disliking a very swingy, high-risk venture such as professional poker) is the norm. The data agrees.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know you are. But like, the vast majority of women I've met (as in, all but two or three ever) are completely disinterested in gambling -- many of the ones close to me raise hell when I tell them I intend to become a full-time poker pro.

THIS DOES NOT MEAN EVERY WOMAN EVER IS LIKE THIS. It just means that women being risk averse (and thus disliking a very swingy, high-risk venture such as professional poker) is the norm. The data agrees.

I am happy to live in a world where that study would not be accurate. :p

I didn't read it - just assuming you posted it because it supports what you believe. I am sure regional studies would vary.

I know it is not an insult and is not negative - it just isn't true for a lot of the women I have known in my life. Not just women who play poker - starting with women in my family, friends, women I have worked with etc.

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really don't think gender is the question, in my opinion it comes down to dedication, intelligence and experience. Just my thoughts.

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am happy to live in a world where that study would not be accurate. :p
I'm excruciatingly unhappy to live in one where it is, but on principle I can't ignore the facts. ;)

I didn't read it - just assuming you posted it because it supports what you believe. I am sure regional studies would vary.
Just read the first 3 pages or so. It's not one study, it's a reference collection to an amalgamation of a dozen different ones at least.

frozensprx

frozensprx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We are talking about gender stereotypes now haha. Well you both are wrong...his studies of women being generally more risk averse than men is true (in general, not meaning one is better than the other, not to be taken as inferiority). However, of the women that do play, those stereotypes likely don't apply, which is why they play poker in the first place. So the real reason they typically don't win big tournies is because there are such a small percentage of them playing.

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We are talking about gender stereotypes now haha. Well you both are wrong...his studies of women being generally more risk averse than men is true (in general, not meaning one is better than the other, not to be taken as inferiority). However, of the women that do play, those stereotypes likely don't apply, which is why they play poker in the first place.

me said:
Reading comprehension is a pretty useful skill to have.

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm pulling for a skilled player like a Greg Merson or a Pius Heinz, tired of these donks and fishes stealing first prize.

If Merson and Heinz are skilled and they won the last two wsop ME's, then where are these donks and fish that are winning it?

Where have you been watching poker?

If I'm not mistaken; greg merson won last year and the year before that, Heinz..
Neither of these were household poker names before they won the ME.

The time has come for a woman to take this down!!!

Would be great if they did, would bring a lot more women into the game I think. Even just to make the final table.

But a lot of the women who do play poker don't fit your description at all. Women are still a very small percentage of the field - that is why women are not winning the World Series.

I want one if the three people I have a stake in to win it lol.

Although women make up a small percentage, they are still under-performing. If women make up about 3% of the field, they should have won at least one bracelet in an open event this year, but once again they have none. I think they have 1 in the last 3 years?

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Of course men do things that are risky more then women do... As a male I can say this confidently... We are complete IDIOTS!!!

I think that women are better then men at a lot of things and here is why..

I use to play a lot of MLG (Major League Gaming) my game of choice was halo and about 90% of the players are male but the 10% that were female are some of the best however no girl has ever went pro in halo not because they are not as good or better then the men but because more men play it 90% more...

Knowing this it seems like the female gamers were always trying harder and giving 110% every game it almost seems like they have more to prove then the guys..

since they felt like they have more to prove they became some of the best players.

On top of that the females that are into things that people feel like is more of a man thing like football, seem to be the most competitive..

I know a girl who got into a fist fight with some one over a football game =o I'll shit talk on your team but I won't get into fist fights over it

Conclusion of all my rambling... The small % of women that do things that a large % of males do, do it harder then then the males (IMO)

Sorry if none of this makes sense I'm a little under the influence =0

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If Merson and Heinz are skilled and they won the last two WSOP ME's, then where are these donks and fish that are winning it?

Neither of these were household poker names before they won the ME.

Would be great if they did, would bring a lot more women into the game I think. Even just to make the final table.

Although women make up a small percentage, they are still under-performing. If women make up about 3% of the field, they should have won at least one bracelet in an open event this year, but once again they have none. I think they have 1 in the last 3 years?

I don't think that a man has ever won a Ladies WSOP event? that is 97% women (If I'm wrong then my reverse doesn't work) 'does this mean men are under performing in ladies events?

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The ladies event this year had zero men in and in the last few years only a handful. The sample size is way too small as a comparison.

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just remembered a woman won a $1k beginning of this week, so that's 2 in 3 years.

C

coelho2013

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm really hoping for a Brazilian to win one of the events this year, after the poker in brazil is growing rapidly.

Abedin120

Abedin120

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
It will be nice to see to much poker pro players on the final table, like Phil Ivey, Daniel Negreanu. They will show us really good game. But I don't know why, I think that this event will win some unknown, someone who will take his first bracelet in his life and someone who will win a really good prize of money that he never even dream that.

Fortmax

Fortmax

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would bet that Durr will make it to the final table.. He's my poker idol !!
If youre really serious , I will take your bet anyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

ovitoo

ovitoo

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If I say Mizrachi, then I have 3 chances to win. I'm goin w/ that.

Not to mention, Michael's a beast.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hope Negreanu or Ivey win this ME because I put money in them to win! :) Also, in Mizrachi to reach the FT. In 2010, I had bet on him to reach the FT and I won..too bad I only had put $2..lol!

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hope Negreanu or Ivey win this ME because I put money in them to win! :)
What kind of odds were you getting?

Because the odds of either of them winning are like 1,000 to 1 or so. Literally.

WSOP