WSOP Main Event

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Although women make up a small percentage, they are still under-performing. If women make up about 3% of the field, they should have won at least one bracelet in an open event this year, but once again they have none. I think they have 1 in the last 3 years?

Wrong and wrong. At least one has won an open event already this year and I know at least one won last year. :p

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The 9th and 10th place finishers of the 2012 ME were both women, I'm too lazy to verify it but I remember hearing that both were knocked out by Andras Koroknai. If a few things had happened a little differently then both could have been at the final table. I also find it hard to believe that a fish or a donk could even make it past day 2 of the ME, there's just too many land mines to dodge.

ovitoo

ovitoo

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The 10th and 11th place finishers of the 2012 ME were both women, I'm too lazy to verify it but I remember hearing that both were knocked out by Andras Koroknai. If a few things had happened a little differently then both could have been at the final table. I also find it hard to believe that a fish or a donk could even make it past day 2 of the ME, there's just too many land mines to dodge.

fyp

I remember watching that trainwreck. An opportunity to be the first woman at the ME ft and they both bubble it.

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just remembered a woman won a $1k beginning of this week, so that's 2 in 3 years.

Wrong and wrong. At least one has won an open event already this year and I know at least one won last year. :p

Dana Castaneda won Event #54 (out of 2883 plyrs)

I did correct myself :) Selbst won one last year. Before that it was ages. In fact i think before 2012, the last one waa Selbdt in 08? They certainly should be winning more than one and the talent is there.

All that said, my least favourite part of that is that women only make up about 3% if the field. Wish it were more.

Last edited:
AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i want phil ivey to win, its about time the best in the world got the big one.

shamanalix

shamanalix

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'll take Negreanu, Hellmuth, Ivey, both Bakers, Esfandiari, Duhamel, Grinder and Cheung. That's just to cash, not the Final Table. No one can pick the FT, far too many variables; if just 1 of my 9 make it, that's plenty for me to brag on. A more likely prediction is that the final table will include at least 8 ME FT newbs, 3 pros, 5 basically unknowns, a Russian, an Asian, a Brit, and no High-Roller regulars. But it's going to be fun to watch -- wish I was there!

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I bet I can pick the final table.. I bet that at least 9 people that play poker will make it to the Final table for this years Main Event

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What kind of odds were you getting?

Because the odds of either of them winning are like 1,000 to 1 or so. Literally.

The odds for Ivey to win when I made the bet was something like 215 to 1 and for Negreanu was 250 to 1. For reach the FT, the odds for Mizrachi was 34 to 1, not very good considering that when I bet on him in 2010, was paying around 80 to 1.
It's almost impossible to win those bets, but I only put a few dollars in each of them and it makes more fun to watch the ME.

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We are talking about gender stereotypes now haha. Well you both are wrong...his studies of women being generally more risk averse than men is true (in general, not meaning one is better than the other, not to be taken as inferiority). However, of the women that do play, those stereotypes likely don't apply, which is why they play poker in the first place. So the real reason they typically don't win big tournies is because there are such a small percentage of them playing.

So basically what I said was right....gotcha.

J

jjz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i'd like to see a final table full of well known/prestigious players. if there was like 3 or 4 bracelet winners at the final table that would be pretty intense.

J

jjz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
chino rheem and tj cloutier are out already

T

twiztedtony

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally i have two people i would love see the bracelet go too.
One is daniel negreanu. I really love his style of poker. I always catch him tilting when he gets far.
Also it be cool for Phil Ivey to get his reputation back with a winning of the
main Event.

imafish

imafish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The 9th and 10th place finishers of the 2012 ME were both women, I'm too lazy to verify it but I remember hearing that both were knocked out by Andras Koroknai. If a few things had happened a little differently then both could have been at the final table. I also find it hard to believe that a fish or a donk could even make it past day 2 of the ME, there's just too many land mines to dodge.

It woulda been so sweet if one or both of em made the FT.

J

JaguarJT

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A random pro will win this year, hoping one that I know.

hackmeplz

hackmeplz

Sleep Faster
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am a woman and I disagree with you. I think it is more due to lack of exposure to the game. That is why we push for Ladies only events.

Not to really add to either side of the debate but had a woman at my ME table today. She actually said she enjoyed tables like these over ladies events because actually in general in ladies events the girls were way nastier, aka threatening when they got sucked out on not being good losers etc. Now I'm sure that's actually more a function of ladies events attracting ladies who are newer to the game, but still was interesting to hear, as usually the argument for ladies events is the exact opposite.

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jen Shahade said on the pokercast last week that you either tend to get really friendly tables or really bitchy tables. Luck of the draw I guess.

nevadanick

nevadanick

Back to work ... zzzzz
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jen Shahade said on the pokercast last week that you either tend to get really friendly tables or really bitchy tables. Luck of the draw I guess.

Never played a wsop Main Event but the same seems to hold true over the years at any live tables anywhere that I've played.

Fortunately, the majority of tables fall under the 'friendly' category. But the 'other' type seem to take forever to get off of. At least it SEEMS to take forever ...

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not to really add to either side of the debate but had a woman at my ME table today. She actually said she enjoyed tables like these over ladies events because actually in general in ladies events the girls were way nastier, aka threatening when they got sucked out on not being good losers etc. Now I'm sure that's actually more a function of ladies events attracting ladies who are newer to the game, but still was interesting to hear, as usually the argument for ladies events is the exact opposite.

most girls/women hate each other and are very bitchy, so thats prob the reason, whereas most guys are laid back and are happy for each other....im quoting my gf here :D

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I have heard women say this before - it is actually why I was initially afraid to even play ladies events. But I have played quite a few of them in the past few years and found it to not be true in my experience. I have only seen one incident and it was at the VDS Ladies this summer. It had nothing to do with being sucked out on or being a poor loser - it was petty bullshit that got out of hand. I see far more incidents like that between men in open games. Most of the women who play are very friendly.

Maybe so - if that is the case I have been very lucky. :)

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am a woman and I disagree with you. I think it is more due to lack of exposure to the game. That is why we push for Ladies only events.
Women have had the same exposure to poker as men, they're just not as interested in the game and probably never will be. Sitting at a live poker table can be a very intimidating experience for anyone and takes some time to get used to. I've played a lot of live poker and IMO, men raise more, bluff more and C-bet more and generally are more inclined to lock horns than women. IMO this form of competition just isn't appealing to most women.

Don't think that I'm slamming the way women play. I understand that the best women players are the equal to the best men, and in the Main Event I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that higher percentage of men bust out on the first day than women.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Women have had the same exposure to poker as men, they're just not as interested in the game and probably never will be. Sitting at a live poker table can be a very intimidating experience for anyone and takes some time to get used to. I've played a lot of live poker and IMO, men raise more, bluff more and C-bet more and generally are more inclined to lock horns than women. IMO this form of competition just isn't appealing to most women.

Don't think that I'm slamming the way women play. I understand that the best women players are the equal to the best men, and in the Main Event I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that higher percentage of men bust out on the first day than women.

That is definitely not true. Historically it was a man's game and it still has not come full circle though a long way for sure. Men played poker with their buddies growing up, in college etc - very few women were offered opportunities to play.

I may not have ever started playing online if it were not for my husband playing first.

Most of the new female poker players in the past 5-10 years are young - the generations before them had far less exposure to poker and it will be a long time before that is lost.

WSOP