What is your feeling when you are losing 50/50

A

animalitymk3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most good players say it's not good to risk your stack and risk getting knocked out of a tournament on a 50/50 chance.

wlad20082009

wlad20082009

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
It all depends on the situation . But of course I try to determine the cause . If this happens several times, then I change the poker room . Ah and of course depends on what tournament you play . If the tournament is serious, then Yes upset . Then I persuade myself that the game is a game .

dunkyhory

dunkyhory

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think there are 2 sides to this problem.
On the one hand, you will be upset and offended by the defeat.
But on the other hand, thea has a higher chance of winning in the next duel.

I wish that was the case unfortunately though the next flip is still 50/50.It's not bad or good luck losing to someone who only has a 5% chance of winning.Your meant to lose the hand 5% of the time so you have to accept varience is part of the game.

Dmytro Lysyuk

Dmytro Lysyuk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's typical coinflip. I'm not very upset if I've won that well, if not, I'll be lucky next time.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Every time when i lose 50/50 i am getting very upset and tilted, especially if it knocked me out of the tournament. What do you feel when its happen with you?
I understand your frustration.
You have AK against a pocket pair, you lose and are out of tournament.
You have a pocket pair against AK, you lose and are out of tournament.
You start to think, WTF, that is the moment you walk away from your computer and play later, you need a break.

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Every time when i lose 50/50 i am getting very upset and tilted, especially if it knocked me out of the tournament. What do you feel when its happen with you?
When it comes to coin flips sometimes you kick and sometimes you get kicked. If it hurts too much you have to try to avoid those situations.

R

recluce2424

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Losing 50/50's I go for the dual approach. I rage and yell etc etc, but its actually more of a performance that paradoxically keeps me relaxed. I like to rage a bit.

In reality my brain is well aware that if I played correctly and it was a profitable shove or call the result of the specific hand doesn't matter. Even if I lose a 90/10 to someone with a terrible call it seems really annoying on the surface, but in the long run I want lots of people making bad calls like that.

Zjohnson13

Zjohnson13

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

It sucks! But I keep my chin up and know that statistically eventually those wins will turn to me. There is nothing like laughing at someone as they get upset as you pull that third ace on the river beating their two pair!

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As long as I’m losing my 50/50 hands the same ratio as winning them then I’m ok. It’s incredibly tilting to run bad and feel like you are losing everyone. It’s part of the game.

B

bakang

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm speaking about online. where I play, you HAVE to know they are rigging the action based on what their data tells them you play.
I just lost with two better hands, JJ and TT
Where I play, the site gives out pairs that should win, to force the better players to bet, so they can reward fish in small stakes.
The "pros" are committed to calling their rip off plays "variance", so they rely on them shaming the victims to keep up their scam.
JJ is 50 percent vs. Q2, when the online company wants to thrive. If I have 12 BB vs villain's 15 BB, the site needs me to lose in order to play more.
What we do with this information is up to us. That's poker.
Good Luck!

Vachina

Vachina

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm speaking about online. where I play, you HAVE to know they are rigging the action based on what their data tells them you play.
I just lost with two better hands, JJ and TT
Where I play, the site gives out pairs that should win, to force the better players to bet, so they can reward fish in small stakes.
The "pros" are committed to calling their rip off plays "variance", so they rely on them shaming the victims to keep up their scam.
JJ is 50 percent vs. Q2, when the online company wants to thrive. If I have 12 BB vs villain's 15 BB, the site needs me to lose in order to play more.
What we do with this information is up to us. That's poker.
Good Luck!

Thank you for the valuable information. If your theory is right - just call every shorter player then you and you will never lose and you will win every tournament that you play and you will never have to deposit again.

"Variance" is not what you think it is. You should go back to a drawing board and try to study statistics a but harder until you understand (at least partially) the whole thing.

Regards

Edit:

What's all about those don't take 50/50 spots comments. Going postflop is totally losing play in many scenarios. Just man up, ignore the flip and keep grinding.

georgi krastev

georgi krastev

Legendary Donk-Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips

There should be no emotions. Otherwise it becomes personal.:icon_sile

A

animalitymk3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try to understand that it's a chance to make zero. You are getting mad about something where you have no edge.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
50/50 is not bad. everything is much worse when 0/100 is not in my favor =)

There are many times people go in as an underdog and win. Losing as a 50/50 happens. Just say nice hand and move on to the next.

B

bakang

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just call every shorter player then you and you will never lose and you will win every tournament that you play and you will never have to deposit again
This is the Shaming the online sites depend on to make us think the deal is random.
I won three1.50 double up in a row, in the next one, I went out with AK vs a doofus with
A6.
I soon as I saw his A6, I knew I was in trouble. Not because of his hand, but because I had won earlier.
You have to know this info to thrive. Otherwise the writers will keep selling you "info"

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I lose 1-5 flips in a row, I accept it calmly. After 10 years of playing, I understand perfectly the variances. But when I lose 10 flips in a row, I change the pokerroom :confused: for a while.

I no been playing that long but in my studies to took Probability and also Logic and Statistics ( they counted as sciences) so bad beats never bug me, i understand that it all conforms to the odds, it just might take a long time lol

Byebaxa

Byebaxa

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well just embrace it, and go on, it is only money.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
This is certainly frustrating. But on the other hand, the chances of winning such a distribution are increased by another time)))

Vfranks

Vfranks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I say to myself, "Why the hell are you flipping coins man, you came here to win.. not gamble!"

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes it gets to me. I'm not gonna lie. You got to learn to take a beat in poker though and try to stay even keel. The next hand might go your way or in the case of getting knocked out, maybe next game. Always another game of poker and I don't think the game is going anywhere.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
50/50 cannot be upset.. implied odds at a large table

Head's-up is a truly 50/50 situation, odds are not against you.When you lose, its just a bad beat, can't be upset; just not your day.
In a hand at a crowded table, what appears to be a 50/50 coin-flip, really isn't. If it's you flipping against 9 other players, your odds are less than 50/50. It's tempting to flip against nine others, but the odds are against you.

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think there are 2 sides to this problem.
On the one hand, you will be upset and offended by the defeat.
But on the other hand, thea has a higher chance of winning in the next duel.

Umm, no. Please read - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambler's_fallacy

As for OP, if you cannot handle being in flips, then it is best to avoid them. You will only come out the winner about 1/2 times, so good chance to bust. This means not getting it in with low pocket pairs, because these are the most likely hands to be flips.

When you get fairly deep in the tourney and lower on chips, it will come to the point where you must flip to survive. Its always better to be the pusher then the caller, because the pusher has the added fold equity. Flips are just part of the game.

alienat3d

alienat3d

easy-going alien grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I say to myself, "Why the hell are you flipping coins man, you came here to win.. not gamble!"

Well, if you are asking yourself such questions too often, then probably No-Limit Holdem is wrong game for you. You have to gamble a lot and coin flips are good example of it. On other hand gambling part is what makes NLHE so much popular, compared to other, more mechanical kinds of poker.

If you want less gambling, maybe it will make more sense to play Limit Holdem or 7-Card Stud. Unfortunately the Action at those games is rather poor compared to No-Limit Holdem.
But there are much less of situations, where you forced to gamble for sure. Especially at Limit Holdem.

I'm not a big fan of gambling myself, but have to live with this part of the game, as i love NLHE most of all.

Answering to original question of these Thread: Coin flips do not bothering me much. Bad beats 4 - 1 or even 5 - 1 do bother much more. :playingba

Last edited:
J

jofieloviedo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
still get a bit angry

I guess I still get a bit angry and to be honest I don't know why cause I'm not losing haha I'm just 50/50 but I guess it is part of the game and I have to learn and be patient.

I guess poker is a really good game but we have to think too much, be relax and play our best game all the time. It is too difficult just play and not get angry when we lose money but it is part of the game and learn how to deal with it is necessary to be better.