What life lessons have you learnt from poker?

M

maykon98

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker teaches patience. It can also help with the skill of reading people and calling people on their BS. Ha Ha. What life lessons has poker taught you?
Self evaluation is the main lesson I am learning at the moment, I always try to reflect how I could have done differently in a particular poker game, the same I usually do at the end of the day in relation to my personal and professional life.

Vladimir Smugly

Vladimir Smugly

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally, I learned one very important thing from poker. You must always remain calm. It does not matter whether your business is good or bad. Make decisions with a cold head. Try not to pay attention to your emotions.

rsimms

rsimms

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What I've Learned from Poker

Indecision is worst than the wrong decision. You've got to get in there and not be afraid to lose or else life will ante you to death.

J

Jordenandrew

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Life is like a deck of cards some days you get A/K and lose to pocket 2s so some days you have to fold the hand you got.

Last edited:
Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Poker has taught me that life is a long-term game. Even when you think you have a big lead on a project or some life changing event, the odds can turn against you and you get "rivered". Suck it up, dust yourself off, and get back in the game. It isn't over till you take your last breath.

rckstr2b

rckstr2b

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In all aspects of life, there are sharks and fish...

M

mhsmeet

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker teaches you more then you can imagine, leaving aside patience and reading someone, for me it has made me more of an opportunist. Life presents opportunities in form of good hands and sometimes it is a trap. If you can recognize when to give your all in and when to fold, you have got your lesson. Also, world is surrounded by all sorts, there are bluffers, there are well experienced high intellectuals, but no matter what, everyone has his/her weaknesses and they can be tackled. When you see these things, then poker definitely has taught you something worthy in life.

escurimX

escurimX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"The fear of losing takes away the will to win"
In poker must have focus, strategy, instinct and courage to bluff at the right time

dobatibata

dobatibata

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I learnt, to control my finance in real money. By now poker took me lots of money for my standards, so now I know first to spend salary on more important things, and gambling with poker money is now limited with poker budget, which is now not so big, but now I have other things I didn't have years back.

Plus, i learn about communities like this one, who beautiful is when people with one same love came together and talk about it. From that knowledge I join another forum about music and other loves, and it makes me happy thanks to poker I found about cc, knowing cc and feeling it, I joint other theme forums

K

Klito

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker teaches a lot Critical thinking
Emotional intelligence
Patience

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One of the main lessons is patience and control of emotions. I consider this to be one of the main ones.

alexkit13

alexkit13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you can never be 100% sure of the outcome and there is always a probability of an outcome that you do not like!!!
the strongest hand AA has 80% vs 1 opponent but vs 2-3 has just 50-60% so everybody can win like in the life!)

D

ds276

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The main thing I understand is patience, endurance, calculation and lots and lots of luck.

K

Konan311

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
poker has taught me to control myself in different situations of life, not to go on about, but to think several times before doing something ....

orchidra

orchidra

Allan with two Owls
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
The main that poker (especially on-line poker) has taught me, is to "expect the unexpected".

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Shit happens. :)

How to manage your emotions when things out of your control go against you.

You do your best to put yourself in good situations, but ultimately there will still be things you cannot control.

krisi77

krisi77

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker does not teach you anything, but it shows you what weaknesses you have and if you want to be struggling to overcome them

Slav4obaby

Slav4obaby

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience, patience, patience and more patience.Do not play with your emotions. Play with your mind.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think, patience that is one of the most important things in life.
And, obviously, patience is one of the most important things in poker.

E

Enthusiast

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Control over time, patience and great reliance on luck

krisi77

krisi77

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to be a good poker player you must own
strong will
determination and rapid decision-making
fearlessness
self-control
patience

and you must not
greedy

Mickflava888

Mickflava888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"I'd start off by it improving 'patience' in all elements of my life" being from Glasgow i find that some things are best sorted by a belt on the mouth iv'e actually implemented this recently which brings me to another 'take you're time' & think about every outcome! Poker has given me a little escape win or lose (it's sheckles i'm prepared to lose) so thirdly 'relaxation' poker has taught me another way to relax in life!! i hope this corresponds with you're question. love & luck at the tables my friend #CardsChatFamily