What life lessons have you learnt from poker?

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker has taught that there are very unlucky days in life in all areas)))

AlexStar1981

AlexStar1981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What he teaches patience is 100%.
He also teaches organization, work on yourself, analyze, and generally develops mathematical thinking.

vagrantjunki3

vagrantjunki3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Theres no such thing as a sure thing, and life is full of ups and downs just like the tables.

M

Makoto

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good things take time and patience is the lesson I learned

L

lantz123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just because things are going bad, doesnt mean that cant turn around in a heartbeat.

P

Pulsar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker taught me patience and restraint of emotions,these qualities are necessary not only in poker,but also in real life! And a philosophical attitude to the game (the odds) too expensive!

firstcrack

firstcrack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a business and professional perspective, poker has nurtured the role of equity in everyday decisions and outcomes. I think poker exercises that part of me which analyzes what are the possible outcomes in career and business decisions, and what, if anything, I can do to increase my EV in ordinary real-life situations. This sounds like a lot of hullabaloo when I read this back myself, but I really do find that I have an edge in work and business situations since honing these skills while playing poker on a regular basis.

Disclaimer: I do not believe that maximizing the result for yourself in a given situation is always the best outcome in life. I do believe in a creator, the God of the first five books of The Bible, and that his formula for personal success is the best possible outcome for anyone--even though I fully acknowledge that yours truly is no saint. In other words, the lessons learned from poker are like any other tool, in that they can be used for good or evil. (Sorry, if I got a little too deep or personal, here.)

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience, discipline, work ethic, emotion control, perseverance, independence. So many things.

B

BeiMoh420

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One of the biggest lessons I've learned is that "you never count your chickens before they hatch." It keeps me humble. I've heard a lot of people hoot and holler when they win or get lucky but as long as I make the right play then I'm okay.

Manjerica1

Manjerica1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when I'm playing on cash next to the bubble I learned how to control my heart stop hitting so fast by breathing right, in the begin when I was in ALL IN it was so difficult to control my body, nowadays after 2 years playing I can feel more control in the reactions that I used to do

Cok1973

Cok1973

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
The first disciplined: control emotions and be patient !