What life lessons have you learnt from poker?

Vladimir Smugly

Vladimir Smugly

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker gives us to understand that the main thing in any business is experience and patience. Only thanks to these qualities can you succeed.

konatus

konatus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
To watch the people and read what they want. To understando the life variance.

B

badelf

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Life is like poker. You have the hand you're having and the decision what to make with it is all yours. Fold it, risk it by going all in, limp it, etc... But sometimes, no matter how attractive are your cards, you must fold them. So if you know poker, you know life and it takes a lot of discipline and mental strength to make that fold that could've ruined you... and simply to not to think about it too.

Cam54

Cam54

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To Me poker is very much related to real life and many of the same lessons carry between...., many good examples have been listed above, I would have to say patience is the one most valuable to me. It was the one hardest for me to even get close to as well, not even raising children taught me the level of patience I learned at the poker table. Which to this day still gets the best of me sometimes : ) but I'm better these days ....

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Lesson

That life is a roller coaster just as poker is. You have to bounce back from each set back. The sooner the better.

leogetz79

leogetz79

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that i need to have more guts and patience

M

mayoroftittycity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience most definitely!! And also that hard work will pay off when you dedicate the time for yourself, not jsut to impress somoene else

jfofla

jfofla

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not think poker teaches us in relation to our social life and I even think that poker often causes people to destroy themselves financially and mentally, in short, I see no teaching swim for life.

2NaCl

2NaCl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker has definitely been a valuable life lesson tool for many. For me, it taught me that you can lose everything you have as fast as you got it. I know it's an extreme analogy comparing chips to your current position in life but if you think about it factoring happiness, everyone has their ups and downs in life (just like in the poker tables), no matter how far up or far down you are in life (or in a tournament) you will be experiencing highs and lows and you just need to accept that that's the way it works. Similarly you may be doing amazing in a tournament, reach final table and get sucked out from a bad beat and ruining your night.

H

Hunterlewis31

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it has taught me a lot. learned patience, but still feel skeptical of people while learning that you will always have loses along with the wins.

E

eggtart

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker teaches patience , discipline, constant learning just like in life.....

X

xexeu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
for me the patience, before I acted a lot by impulse both in the game and in my personal life but grace to the poker I am learning to reflect, ante of everything so much in the game as in the personal life helped me a lot.

phantomjiujitsu

phantomjiujitsu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When luck shuts the door, you gotta come in through the winder.

HK_47

HK_47

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Every day is a new hand in it's own right. Most days are just nameless aimless grey days you won't ever remember, but when you get to play a hand you should play it for all it's worth.

People are widely different, you can't pretend any two people are even close to the same outside of small personality traits. Thinking you have an understanding of what a stranger is doing is often a mistake and every instance is unique. You should always take each hand (Or interaction) from a point of optimism otherwise you might miss out on valuable spots.

And of course luck is always a factor in everything and you need to relinquish that level of controlling everything and be response-able (I hate the way responsible is used as a word).

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I became disciplined. I revised the plans for every day, because I play poker steadily. I revised the hours of rest, watches for sports. In general, poker began to do better than I was.

albosaltenio

albosaltenio

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
patience is something that apparently I will never apply.but if reading and how to press at particular times

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So many. But above all, perseverance. This game will chew you up and spit you out again and again and again. You need to develop extraordinary amounts of discipline, focus and emotional control to survive in this game over the long haul.

Viper ChipIt

Viper ChipIt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Much like building a poker bankroll, there is no easy and fast way to do it. it takes time and patients to study the game and slowly turn a profit. Much like life everything takes time no matter how much you want it now.

So i guess patients has been my biggest take-away from playing poker. :D

XYZ2123

XYZ2123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Poker can teach many important life skills. Patience, discipline, focus, knowing when to quit, emotional control, reading people, the value of money and how to manage it. But I think the lesson I keep learning over and over, and still haven't mastered is that my first instinct is almost always correct and that I should just, as they say, go with my gut. Every time I face a tough decision at a table, my gut feeling turns out to be correct. Unfortunately, I still tend to sabotage myself by overthinking and trying to overplay my hand.

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
actually, i didnt take any useful lesson from poker, especially not life lesson

F

FreeDom1998

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker taught me discipline (patience) and composure ;)

Dora

Dora

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Remember the rule: you are in life, not a game in you.