What do you think of female poker players?

R

rusty1149

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
poker equality

Any questions about female poker player ability can be answered in the second edition of the poker bible under limit holdem. :)

G

GeoJake

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
They are poker players like the rest of us. What else is there to talk about....

T

ThomasDelgado

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is not like that. Playing poker is not dependent upon who you are? Male or female. It is about the methods, tricks and strategies you are using while playing poker. According to me, it's a myth that women cannot be a good poker player.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
A mom joke. You really pulled the big guns out at this point, huh?

Do you even realize that you just implied that my mother is a Hollywood actress? How is that an insult?

You were thinking of "X" or "XXX" rated movies. I guess you haven't found your way over to one of those yet in your brief time on this earth.

Glad he enjoyed his brief time here.

suby_rafael

suby_rafael

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never thought subscribing to this thread would lead to me having so much fun reading future posts . Full of action the last day or so. You guys and gals made my day. Thank you to all the participants who took part in this bout. :icon_thum

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love female poker players, but when they look so good like Gaelle Baumann and Elisabeth Hille, they are a distraction and i will never look at flops and turns and hole cards and such unimportant things :)

S

Superman2102

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this isn't a sexist question at all..

whowantwhat

whowantwhat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Females are better players on average and this gets overlooked often.

Males have a higher number of players so where there are many, many great male players, there are also very many terrible male players. Per capita, female players have more overall success.

I always think that because I'm short af, or I don't look like most poker players do, or I'm too ghetto, or because I say "please" or "thank you" with each action/statement, I get looked down on (hahahaha puns) at the table. It's just being self-conscious. It's like being uncomfortable in any setting, always questioning what people are thinking about you and what not. You have to remember why you're there; to be analyzing your opponents, not yourself. If you can be a mind without a body, then you need to do so.

Pretty much every time I play live, at least 2 or 3 players snicker and make jokes/comments about me saying "Make it 20, please," when I raise it up or "Thank you," when I receive my hand. I don't understand why being courteous is so funny.
What in the hell do you base this on?

R

revskip

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that it is great that more females are starting to get into poker. This is good for the poker community, plus every guy that plays poker would love to have a GF/ wifey that plays poker. So I think personally it is sexy when woman play poker. Poker is a game where people try to intimidate you but as long as you play your own/best game, you should do fine and be taking home the money at the end of a session.

My wife plays pretty well. She understands pot odds pretty well, has a good grasp on push/fold ranges and is impossible to read. If she played a lot more often I have no doubt she'd be a far better player than me since she is smarter than me, luckily for me I play a lot more so I still have some edge when we both sit in home games. :)

punctual

punctual

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love female poker players, but when they look so good like Gaelle Baumann and Elisabeth Hille, they are a distraction and i will never look at flops and turns and hole cards and such unimportant things :)

We should start the "mandatory burkha for hot poker babes" petition: it just isn't right that such a distraction can be allowed at the poker table.

A

alunelu33

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of the women ive seen play pretty good. Maybe a little tight sometimes, but they really feel when to fold. Six-th sens i guess.

C

ChipsOwnerRO

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why you think female poker players are not taken seriusly If you are good and if you win some hands, you'll show them who's the boss :) and they have to be more careful when they play a hand against you.
If you are not good you can feel intimidate even if you are male or female. The gender is not importamnt in poker. A man can be better than a woman, such as a woman can be better than a man.

R

roxyleb

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I play poker online, with my friends and once in a big tourney. to tell you the truth, men don't really know how women thing, (some of them) because usualy they play only with men at the table (in that tourney that i mentioned, we were maybe 3 women out of 200). a couple of guys that i was at the table with told me in the breaks that they don't play against me. one said because he doesn't understand my game, and the other (the rude one) said because i'm weak :))
and generally i think he is right, because women are ussually more sentimental and extrinsec

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Any one who refuses to play against some one because they think they are weak is either a liar or an idiot..

Would I rather play against the strong player who may take my money or the one I have an edge against? lolz

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Any one who refuses to play against some one because they think they are weak is either a liar or an idiot..

Would I rather play against the strong player who may take my money or the one I have an edge against? lolz
Yeah, please sit me at the table of the guy who won't play with "weak" players. :D

WEC

WEC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am an online poker player and I haven't really experienced playing live poker. I do want to try it but I have this impression that it is intimidating and that female poker players are not taken seriously. While others say that playing online poker is just a joke and that live poker is the real deal, I prefer playing online because I get to be myself, and my opponents (even though my username and my avatar shows i'm a female) can't and doesn't intimidate me.

Regardless whether it's online or live, what do you think of female poker players?

There has been a lot of hyperbole in the recent posts so I wanted to get back to the original question.

First, hard to think about whether the person you are actually playing online is really female or not (well except for here where the females are well known for the most part) since there are a ton of instances over the years where male players purposely pose as female players (including a huge earning online player who took stakes posing, acting, flirting as a female). So as far as I am concerned I really do not differentiate between men and women players online. Of course, just from the quality of play at CardsChat from the women players, you would have to think they are as good as or better than male players. I think in general if a woman puts her mind to poker, she can be as good and better than any male. It is just that more men tend to play and enjoy poker.

I can see where many men feel that women may not be as good at poker as men, but I think that comes from the pure sheer numbers of men that have extensive experience and passion playing vs women with the same drive and ambition to play the game. I think a higher majority of women that end up playing at your live table (and maybe online) maybe just inexperienced and there to have a little fun, but may not be good at the game for that reason (experience).

I have to admit when I play live, and I do not have any previous information or experience playing against a particular person, I have preset discriminations built into my thinking, until experience shows otherwise for that specific player. For women, that would be tight-passive players who you might be able to push around with aggressiveness. Obviously if you lump all women players into this category and do not change your view based on play observation, you are gonna get kicked by a very good women player (or even a bad one who likes to bluff and plays outside of the tight category).

As far as the OP goes (jmchezka), just get out there and play live and get a feel for it. I am sure there are all sorts of feelings on women players and how certain men react to their presence at the poker table, but once you gather experience playing I think you will enjoy it.

C

ChipracerAA

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The cards don't care too much about the sexual organs! So, neither do I!!

Mase31683

Mase31683

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like playing with women, but the ones that I talked to a lot and compared notes with only seemed to make about 0.75bb/100 for every 1bb/100 I made.

jmchezka

jmchezka

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never thought subscribing to this thread would lead to me having so much fun reading future posts. Full of action the last day or so. You guys and gals made my day. Thank you to all the participants who took part in this bout. :icon_thum

haha! tell me about it. members' answer to my question and a whole lot more. very entertaining indeed.

What do women think about men poker players? o0o0o0o0o0o

now you my friend, need to start that thread soon :D

C

chinomoreno

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It is not about the gender, it's all about skills. :)

arizoney

arizoney

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the gender thing doent matter. i find that women are nicer to other people on the table and i have a lot of respect for them like i would live. oh i said respect thats the way i was raised yup i still open doors for ladies and greet them properly. to make a comment on there play it all depends on there skills which no different than a man.

arizoney

arizoney

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the gender thing doent matter. i find that women are nicer to other people on the table and i have a lot of respect for them like i would live. oh i said respect thats the way i was raised yup i still open doors for ladies and greet them properly. to make a comment on there play it all depends on there skills which no different than a man.

one more thing i feel i must add there the bomb;)

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good poker players are just that, a good player. There is no need to recognize or generalize any further. Lot of things I'm looking for when sizing up a table and gender isn't one of them.

G

guutox

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Danger players, when i play against women always difficult, scare.