What do you think of female poker players?

ILIKEFISH31

ILIKEFISH31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your yardstick includes tournament winnings, here is Hendon Mob's list:

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/ranking/137/

I think Jennifer Harmon makes most of her money in poker from cash games though, fwiw.

And neither of these players would even be considered in the top 25 of today's pros, let alone all time pros.

Not one woman would make the list of the top 50 poker pros of all time. Do you really think that's just due to sexism?

rifflemao

rifflemao

Pugs Not Drugs
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And neither of these players would even be considered in the top 25 of today's pros, let alone all time pros.

Not one woman would make the list of the top 50 poker pros of all time. Do you really think that's just due to sexism?

No, but I think it's incorrect.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/ranking/all-time-money-list/

Selbst is currently 23rd. And winnings from Big One for One Drop are skewing things at the top, as expected.

I'm not arguing that women are keeping pace with men in the rankings. I'm arguing that they are demonstrably capable of playing great poker.

ILIKEFISH31

ILIKEFISH31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not arguing that women are keeping pace with men in the rankings. I'm arguing that they are demonstrably capable of playing great poker.

Fair enough and in all reality, we pretty much agree there. I think there are plenty of women who are more capable than a lot of the guys who are giving this game a shot right now. Whether any of them will actually make it or not remains to be seen.

Believe me, I'm all about equality, fairness, and making sure opportunity remains open to all. At the same time, it does peeve me a little bit when I see a man or woman in a predominantly opposite sex venue. It just screams "I'm trying to prove something here because of my gender" and simply places a huge bulls eye on their back.

When I was 13 years old and in Pop Warner football there were a few of us who were really, really good. I mean, we were known regionally, and in some cases statewide, as the best young players in the league. That year, one mother (who was insanely feminist) made a huge, huge issue about how her daughter should be allowed to play football with the boys. After a league meeting and decision...they let her join the team. What happened to that poor girl over the next few months because of her insane, feminist mother should never be placed on the back of a child that young. She was beat into the ground physically, mentally, emotionally, and to this day is just not the same person as she was before it.

Sometimes these desires to break barriers and prove points put people into terrible situations in life that they have no business being in.

JaxA

JaxA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Regarding intimidation, be aware that live poker can be just as intimidating for male players the first time. I've seen men literally shake in a $1/$2 game, and it's still easier for me to buyin to a $200 tourney than a $200 cash game.

As you might expect, there will be men at the table who suffer from both a superiority complex and bad manners. I saw that online last Sunday in the chatbox when a woman won the Carbon 25k dollar frenzy.

Just smile (to increase their tilt), and keep taking their chips. :)
Very true. The just smile while you stack their chips thing is really good.

I usually have the jitters the first 10 minutes I play actually lol.. After ten minutes of folding I get into a rhythm thou lol
This is exactly what I do. Lol. The first couple times I played live I was so nervous I made some terrible folds at the beginning of a session because of anxiety.
If you've never played live, it can be intimidating your first few times, period, male or female. I think we all psych ourselves out at first, and think that everyone's going to be judging us. But think about it: are you wasting time judging people at all in life, and would you do so at a live table? Probably not, and anyone that does isn't worth a second thought in the first place. Let them judge, who cares what they think?

I'm a female player, and I have played live quite a bit (although it's been a long time since I last played live--life gets in the way, just don't have time :( ). I had the jitters at first, but I reminded myself that I knew what I was doing, and to play smart, and it would be fine. I sat out for a few hands before the big blind just to watch the table action, and made mental notes. Now, I very rarely have had instances of people treating me differently because I'm a girl. There have been some old codgers who would almost be offended if I raised them, others who think I'm easy to read (because I'm a woman, and I only play the nuts, of course--lol), and loudly claiming what they thought my hand was (they were almost always wrong). I just made mental notes, smiled, and made sure to exploit that to my advantage. On the other hand, I noticed that some guys would soft play against me because they "felt bad" and didn't want to "bully me". Although, to be fair, those times could have been because I'm friendly at the table, and like to chat with players, so it could have had nothing to do with the fact that I'm a woman. Ok, fair dink'um, I'll take advantage of that too!

But for the most part, nearly everyone treats you the same. There are a lot more younger players these days who aren't concerned with stereotypes and such, and will just as willingly take your chips as anyone else with no regrets (as it should be). So the best advice I can give is to just be alert, play your A-game, and make mental notes as you go. But most importantly, never let anyone intimidate you for any reason, especially just because you are a woman ("weaker sex" my ass! lol).
Very good reply. Sums up pretty much everything I was gonna say. :) It is crazy how many people think that women are huge nits, it allows girls to get away with a lot more bluffs than their male counterparts IMO.

JaxA

JaxA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh yeah ?? Have you seen this woman play or heard of her ?? If you had i don't think you would make that comment ... :bandit:

Not only her just .. watch some of the plays women make at wsop and it will change your perspective. Do you remember last year 2 women made it to the top 15 of the main event ??
Selbst is such a beast. I wish I had the "balls" she does.

Princessa

Princessa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think female's greatest strength is in letting man think he running things but in reality it is the woman who pulls the man's strings. Maybe this has sumthing to do wit poker or maybe not but dat's how i feel bout it...

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
In all honesty I adore women and they're a big part of my life lol. That said, it's not just a cliche: Women are simply incapable of making decisions with anything other than their emotions.
The bolded part demonstrates to me that you don't "know" women as well as you think you do. Oh, and that's probably one of the most lol ridiculous statements I have ever read. And how sweet: you "adore" women--thanks for patronization. With that pat on the head, wink, and a pinch on the cheek, I feel so validated. ;)

P

PLAYFUL1

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think there's no much difference between good male and good female poker players for me.
:handkiss:
Both leave me with empty pockets
:)
I believe that some women are superior to the male counterpart , that said im a blonde female pokerplayer and proud of it:girl:

ILIKEFISH31

ILIKEFISH31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The bolded part demonstrates to me that you don't "know" women as well as you think you do. Oh, and that's probably one of the most lol ridiculous statements I have ever read. And how sweet: you "adore" women--thanks for patronization. With that pat on the head, wink, and a pinch on the cheek, I feel so validated. ;)

I really don't care how you feel. You're a total random out on the internet and I have no idea how good, or bad, you are as a person. How you feel is your own business.

The fact is that you even proved my point in your response. Women *have* to respond any time they feel someone has "disrespected them". You don't know when it's best to just let something go because you're incapable of thinking without letting your emotions completely overwhelm your decision making process.

As for this being the most ridiculous thing you've ever heard: You must be very, very young. People (including women) have been saying this about women pretty much forever.

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I really don't care how you feel. You're a total random out on the internet and I have no idea how good, or bad, you are as a person. How you feel is your own business.

The fact is that you even proved my point in your response. Women *have* to respond any time they feel someone has "disrespected them". You don't know when it's best to just let something go because you're incapable of thinking without letting your emotions completely overwhelm your decision making process.

As for this being the most ridiculous thing you've ever heard: You must be very, very young. People (including women) have been saying this about women pretty much forever.

Any one else smell a hypocrite?

ILIKEFISH31

ILIKEFISH31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any one else smell a hypocrite?

I can understand that as the oldest woman in this thread you might feel offended but please...try to keep an open mind.

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Forgot I was an old woman, must be my damn All timers again!

punctual

punctual

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

funny how you let dummies get under your skin. I should use that against you at the poker table hehe :)

ILIKEFISH31

ILIKEFISH31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
funny how you let dummies get under your skin. I should use that against you at the poker table hehe :)

Sir, I can assure you that my IQ is probably at *least* double yours.

One woman came in the thread who could barely read or write and then this other idiot came in and got her panties in a twist, proving my point entirely.

punctual

punctual

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sir, I can assure you that my IQ is probably at *least* double yours.

One woman came in the thread who could barely read or write and then this other idiot came in and got her panties in a twist, proving my point entirely.

What would remotely give you the idea that you are smarter than me? You don't know who I am. Do you really think my IQ is 35? Honestly? What is the probability that anyone on here has half your IQ of 70? very low I presume

This is why I would not take anything you say seriously.

punctual

punctual

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think female's greatest strength is in letting man think he running things but in reality it is the woman who pulls the man's strings. Maybe this has sumthing to do wit poker or maybe not but dat's how i feel bout it...

That is precisely why men should guard themselves against falling in love....

ILIKEFISH31

ILIKEFISH31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That is precisely why men should guard themselves against falling in love....

Yes...because I'm sure "Princessa" has pulled a lot of men's "strings" over the years.

As a matter of fact, here's one of the guys she completely pulled the wool over:

120103021019_Michael%20Fuller.jpg

B

brokenlung911

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
love playing with the females way more than males don't even need any dudes at my table lol

punctual

punctual

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes...because I'm sure "Princessa" has pulled a lot of men's "strings" over the years.

As a matter of fact, here's one of the guys she completely pulled the wool over:

120103021019_Michael%20Fuller.jpg

Hey, is that you in the picture? LMAO

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Counting the seconds for when Fishes thing goes from "advanced member" to "Banned"

punctual

punctual

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Counting the seconds for when Fishes thing goes from "advanced member" to "Banned"

I think he's the kind of poster that got me to stop posting on forums in general. At some point one has had enough of nonsense...

ILIKEFISH31

ILIKEFISH31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

You really, really think that my last few posts in this thread warrant a ban from the forums?

You can't really believe that, can you?

ILIKEFISH31

ILIKEFISH31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think he's the kind of poster that got me to stop posting on forums in general. At some point one has had enough of nonsense...

I hope at some point in your life you can realize how ridiculous it is that you stopped posting on forums much because you, now and then, read something that you didn't like.

Why not just start burning books with differing viewpoints of yours, or just get rid of the internet entirely since the possibility exists that someone might say something you find offensive?

I see your location says "Brooklyn". Kind of ridiculous to have Americans complaining about the fact that people have a right to express their viewpoints, even if they may differ from your own. Once again, ISIS in Iraq is recruiting folks just like you. You might want to look into it.