What Are the Biggest Mistakes For Poker Players?

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say not knowing when to quit. Most of us have been there. Some bastard makes a terrible play but luck's on his side and he takes your stack. Then 5 minutes later it happens again. You realize that he chances of a 3 outer happening twice in back to back showdown is tiny so you start to fume. You think you can beat luck by playing more. You cannot.

Before you know it, you've put yourself in a hole difficult to climb out of and you have given away weeks of winnings in one session cuz you cannot stop.

D

Denver225

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here are some standard mistakes that many make

Play many hands without items
Often continuation bet without a hand when it shouldn't have done
Too many bluff
Kolyat to the end to get to showdown and check what the opponent had a hand.because I don't believe that is worse.
Does not take into account the style of the opponent

R

rakspin_vr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The main mistake, I think, is the underestimation of the opponent or the overestimation of your own luck. When you play smart - you win. When you do not consider all the risks - sooner or later you will lose.

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The main mistake, I think, is the underestimation of the opponent or the overestimation of your own luck. When you play smart - you win. When you do not consider all the risks - sooner or later you will lose.

Well put. Ego in this game is a deadly danger to your profit. Meditation and humility are one of the keys to victory.

nera75

nera75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems to me that the main mistake of a poker player is a reassessment of one's strength, a revaluation of his card, an uncertain game in the late stage of the tournament and a poor knowledge of poker mathematics

iosif18

iosif18

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ff

1st mistake is to play more money than you can ,,you have to put a limit about it.Also if you are on tilt ...you must relax because you will not take clean decisions.I think those 2 are most important things for a poker player.

Ricey155

Ricey155

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Forget what idiots are calling with and winning, it's not a winning strategy. Ace 8 is smashed in so much. where does that fit v a10, aj, aq, ak etc you hit the ace your dead. you hit the 8 with higher board cards your dead or have zero idea where you sit in the hand.

unless seriously short stacked try and chuck rubbish rags away. if your well stacked go for it. don't play so tight that you just play super strong hands. as they always then miss.

Forget the blind stealers they always get lucky.

rfbh54

rfbh54

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try to enter the game with any card, but you only need to go with a good card.

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Biggestmistake?
Hard to know they all hurt pretty badly.
I guess, for me its learning to be methodical and lose the emotion.

Playing really smart for 1.5-2 hours in an MTT and then getting knocked out due one or two donk moves(seems to be a regular occurrence and luckily nobody can hear me screaming through the computer ;) ).

Sometimes as I click I know I am going to lose but have this insane need to prove myself right.

N

Nano5722

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that the biggest mistake in poker is an aggressive game. Some people want to play every hand and win every hand. This is just impossible. If you want to be successful in poker, you need to be patient.

Chito

Chito

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. tilt management, know yourself enough to know when it’s time for a break to get your shit together.

2. Bankroll management, nothing causes a shorter poker career than playing in game you are not properly rolled for.

3. STUDY, take time away from the table to review hands and work on your game, if you don’t do this consistently you’ll get your talent capped and stay mediocre/losing.

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Forget what idiots are calling with and winning, it's not a winning strategy. Ace 8 is smashed in so much. where does that fit v a10, aj, aq, ak etc you hit the ace your dead. you hit the 8 with higher board cards your dead or have zero idea where you sit in the hand.

unless seriously short stacked try and chuck rubbish rags away. if your well stacked go for it. don't play so tight that you just play super strong hands. as they always then miss.

Forget the blind stealers they always get lucky.

The "always" does not work in the long run man.

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Biggestmistake?
Hard to know they all hurt pretty badly.
I guess, for me its learning to be methodical and lose the emotion.

Playing really smart for 1.5-2 hours in an MTT and then getting knocked out due one or two donk moves(seems to be a regular occurrence and luckily nobody can hear me screaming through the computer ;) ).

Sometimes as I click I know I am going to lose but have this insane need to prove myself right.

Characteristics of an anxious person.
Meditation and self control is the key to that friend.

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think that the biggest mistake in poker is an aggressive game. Some people want to play every hand and win every hand. This is just impossible. If you want to be successful in poker, you need to be patient.

Great tip.
The ideal is to play between 15 to 30% of the hands.

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
1. tilt management, know yourself enough to know when it’s time for a break to get your shit together.

2. Bankroll management, nothing causes a shorter poker career than playing in game you are not properly rolled for.

3. STUDY, take time away from the table to review hands and work on your game, if you don’t do this consistently you’ll get your talent capped and stay mediocre/losing.

Good tips.

Fordeverest

Fordeverest

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Modern life is full of confused conditions: TV, social networking sites, iphone and of course other people. If you want to play online poker while you manage some of these, it is very likely that you will not play profitable. However, it is often difficult to withstand temptation. If the "poker table" deals with other things while playing, it's impossible to get the best poker format. He probably misses bluffing, misses opponents' easy-to-see information, and even decides whether to keep the chip bad.

A

adueno81

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my biggest mistake is when alot of players bet high stakes multiple hands in a row, i eventually feel pressured to call too early

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Modern life is full of confused conditions: TV, social networking sites, iPhone and of course other people. If you want to play online poker while you manage some of these, it is very likely that you will not play profitable. However, it is often difficult to withstand temptation. If the "poker table" deals with other things while playing, it's impossible to get the best poker format. He probably misses bluffing, misses opponents' easy-to-see information, and even decides whether to keep the chip bad.

To avoid distraction I made some changes, I put my computer back to my TV.
This increases my focus, and I avoid contact even with my cell phone.
I'm practically off the world. I stop only for lunch and play again until I finish my daily session. That done I go back to my normal routine.

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
my biggest mistake is when alot of players bet high stakes multiple hands in a row, i eventually feel pressured to call too early

Study range. So you will know what to pay and how much to pay with your hands

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
ONE BIG MISTAKE IS SAYING NH WHEN SOMEBODY LOSES AJ AGAINST AK IN A CC FREEROLL AND THE HIGHEST CARD ON THE BOARD IS A T.This is NOT a nice hand, and the loser might remember that in the next freeroll, may play you more often to show you really nice hands

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: HILARIOUS :rofl:

:icon_thum

emk4976

emk4976

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here are a few mistakes I see a lot while I'm at the low level buy-ins for tourneys. I consider ten dollar buy-ins and under as low level. I see a lot of players defending there blinds in early rounds of the tourney, this causes you to leak chips with hands you probably shouldn`t be in the pot with, out of position. The chips you leak are hurting you when you finally get a strong hand to max gain with. You need to be able to protect your strong hands. This causes you to be short stacked and forces you to then change your game play. I also see a lot of players trying to steal on the button verses players in the blinds who bet out on almost every flop when they are first to act. So I say knowing how the players play on the table before you open your game up. Fold a few buttons in early rounds and build up a solid table image. Then try to steal verses players you have an idea on how they play. Remember you can`t bluff a players who doesn't take the game serious.

M

MadPanic

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
going all in on ace-anything
I really love this move when it comes round to me on the bubble. I get so many folds it's worth it when somebody does actually call. Even though it's usually stronger hands that call (pairs and AK) I still have a chance to hit my A and take the pot..

jhunnyorcruz

jhunnyorcruz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
impatience, curiosity and lack of focus are major mistakes in my opinion