What is a DONK?

giraug

giraug

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
DONK... someone playing poker as if he/she is playing lotto or bingo.
or someone who only has the all-in and fold buttons... not knowing that there is much more in poker, lol

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
After reading all the opinion. I still not sure what a donk is
But there is such a thing as donkbet.
seems to me calling a player donk is more a reflection of player getting mad and calling out all names after a bad beat
I think “fish” is probably better term to call out a player that you beat you in a bad beat
A player that draws and gets lucky with lower than expected implied odds from how much equity he puts into the pot. Someone that sucks out with 5-30% chance.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Donk is just slang for a bad poker player and very similar to fish. Maybe I would tend to think about a fish as a more passive bad player. Someone who is very focused on trying to make a hand, so he always check and call, until he have something very strong.

A donk to me is a more aggressive but still bad player. Maybe he still limp-call a lot preflop, but he open a bit more hands than the fish, and after the flop he become very aggressive and does a lot of donk betting or check-raising with hands, he should either have check-called or check-folded.

Lets say for example, that the Villain min-raised from middle position, I 3-bet QQ in position, and he called. Flop comes 3 low cards like 742 rainbow, and now out of the blue the Villain goes all in for 3 times, whats already in the pot. I call, and he flip over his K7 offsuit. To me this kind of player is a donk.

A fish on the other hand would limp-call his K7 offsuit and then check-call all the way down, when he flop a pair. He will only get aggressive, if his hand improve to trips or two pair.

Last edited:
K

Kevin Stout

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I thought a donk bet was like 3 ,4 or whatever betting pre flop, and then 1 betting the flop.

I’ve been trying to donk-raise people as a trap instead of check raise. It worked one time. ;)

F

FlopGrinder

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is your definition of a donk? I hear a lot of chat about this donk and that donk and just want to know the opinions of what a donk is.:D:D

A person who flip the odds and win with pure luck is a donk.

M

Milan Godhania

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Donkey was used very well yesterday on my table (cards chat freeroll) :thefinger:thefinger:thefinger

N

narc

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Given all the answers, I can say that a Donk is not always Donk, because I see and do some donkbets to make it difficult to read the opponent!

Mortis71

Mortis71

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wouldn't think anyone is a donk, on that note- they are just "new" players who know nothing about strat's and fundamentals, ummmm ppl who play just cards. When I see ppl call players donks it's usually a bad beat or when a bluff gets picked off, with that said can u call a pro who makes a bad move a "donk"?

Mortis71

Mortis71

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you REALLY wanna see a donk... look in the mirror :fisheye: :rofl::rofl::rofl:
just a laugh

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Given all the answers, I can say that a Donk is not always Donk, because I see and do some donkbets to make it difficult to read the opponent!

A donk bet is not always a bad strategy, but it got its name for a reason. Bad players tend to lead a lot more than good players, and they often do it in spots, where it would have been a better play to check. Bad players also play more pots out of position and without initiative, which mean, they get into more spots, where its even possible to donk bet. In my example a good player would just have folded K7 offsuit from middle position, so he would never get to see the flop out of position against someone, who raised him preflop.

The times, you might want to consider a donk bet, is, when the flop is much better for your range than the preflop raiser, if you flop the nuts in a multiway pot, where its likely to get checked through, if you check, or when a turn or river card decidedly changes the texture. A classic example would be, if you river a flush after calling the turn. In this spot your opponent will check back so often, that a donk bet might be your best chance to get paid. And of course you can mix in some bluffs as well, if he tend to give you credit and fold.

Last edited:
gabryyyel31

gabryyyel31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
It's a "GOLD mine" that a decent player will always exploit to increase his winnings. :p:D:cool:

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to Donkbet the turn or river for value or bluff
I don’t see any point of donkbet the flop in a multiplayer flop unless you have a really strong hand like a hidden set and Then I think it’s better to donkbet set at the flop rather than to check raise in multi-way pot in the flop eg 7-2-K rainbow. Cause check raise tells the table you got big hand like two pair (less likely to play crap K-7or K-2 But fit some players ranges who play these as suited) Or set mine.

barbados

barbados

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Hmm... I read the comments and thought that is written about me... Now I know...

S

SubZero111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A donk is a player who makes mistakes and crazy lucky calls and beats your ars! EX: Player A goes all in with AK suited. Player B has an J8 unsuited and calls hoping to make a straight because he has done it before. Player B wins with two pair and is happy with his smart play. Player B is a **^% donk!

xpvictor1

xpvictor1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Short for Donkey

And Donkey is short for a$$.

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They get in tilt fast, they do stupid moves with no sense..also sometimes all in every hand...and the examples can continue

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What is your definition of a donk? I hear a lot of chat about this donk and that donk and just want to know the opinions of what a donk is.:D:D

Fish... Donk... why do people invented such names? Why not schimpanze and ape?
because schimpanze is smarter than the Donk :)

Player with stupid, naive and irrational logic = Donk.

Typical example which happened to me just now at the PS freeroll.

I'm sitting at aggressive table and got KK in UTG2, since I know that there will always be minimum straddle behind me, I've decided to limp and go on with 3bet.

I limp KK

One person behind me straddles

One more player in the MP 3bets 3bb :)))

Brasilian Donk as SB calls

I 4bet to 13bb

First one who straddled calls, player in MP folds, Donk calls

Flop 2 6 10

Since I'm first to act - I bet 70% of pot.

Person behind me folds

Donk thinks for 20 seconds and goes all-in.

He has 68os, in a 4bet flop!!! Invested 20% of his stack and has to invest more than 50% to call, but he decides to go all-in.

SO We have 2 6 10 rainbow flop, me KK, him 68os, turn comes 8, river comes 6.
Donk says "Phew"

I wonder, when they'll start giving some mathematicla education in brasilian schools, and maybe English lessons, so they could start reading articles about poker.

So far, I bet that Brasilian Donks are playing poker in 3 steps:
Step1) Get A-rag pre-flop or any pair on flop
Step 2) Push all-in.
Step 3) Pray to Jesus, Santa Maria, Zeus, Thor, Buddha, Keep fingers crossed and kiss rabbits paw.

P.S. Step 3 is the key factor to win the hand.

cyrilflorendooo

cyrilflorendooo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's like a fish am I right?

P

PLAYFUL1

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A Donk is a player that goes in on nothong and wins

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion this an excellent player, which I always glad to see at their table) with such players very fun at the table. Sometimes and himself such)))

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
There re a lot of kind of bad players like maniacs, callers, nits. So I call donkies all that players that have some minimum knowledge about poker strategy, but he has huge leaks. At the first minutes he can be mixed up with a regular but he take wrong decisions a lot of times generally on FPR streets.

wyoming4paul

wyoming4paul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Someone whose play makes their ROI look like a ski slope, but thinks they're good.

K

Kadgaron

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
donkeys usually love to watch the flops and don’t understand at all how to raise preflop bets. Bluffs seem everywhere to the Oslams, they are just sure that their opponent has nothing, and the fact that their own combination really does not cost anything does not bother these players at all, they persistently answer all your bets.
Sometimes donkeys begin to raise and raise in the most seemingly unexpected situations. All their calls also defy logical explanation. Donkeys bluff when it flies into their heads, as a rule, for no reason.