Total posts
Awards
Chips
not a fan of the trash talk

1. Dont think most people are good enough to not let trash talk distract them

2. Mock a fool and become a fool

3. Teach a fish and they are not a fish anymore

4. Its unneccessarily draws attention to how you play

5. The jabronis you are mean mocking will come after you future games and they will do it in weird and unorthodox ways

6. Its just not nice

So save the trash talk and the drama for your mama

good luck at the tables,

t

TAC91

TAC91

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From my prospective, it's a death calling "tool". Trash talking only makes other players want to beat you and take your money/chips even more. Once you intimidate some one, they are going to be zeroing in on you to try and take your chips for sure. They might even play differently just to try and take your chips/money. I know I would/have.

Especially when the "trash talker" is an aggressive player. It's a little easier to set him up. There is a mute button too, and I use it some times.

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have chat off at all times. Won't work on me :p

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From my prospective, it's a death calling "tool". Trash talking only makes other players want to beat you and take your money/chips even more. Once you intimidate some one, they are going to be zeroing in on you to try and take your chips for sure. They might even play differently just to try and take your chips/money. I know I would/have.

Is this not a good thing then?
"Trash talking only makes other players want to beat you"

Different to what others seem to suggest "Trash talking makes players go out and buy poker books, read indepth strategy poker articles on the net, makes them better players" :D

TAC91

TAC91

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is this not a good thing then?
"Trash talking only makes other players want to beat you"

Different to what others seem to suggest "Trash talking makes players go out and buy poker books, read indepth strategy poker articles on the net, makes them better players" :D
In my opinion, no it's not really a good "tool". I'm not a fan of ass holes at the tables and I don't need to read a poker book. I learn on my own as I play. Works fine for me. :cool:

P

postflopper

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there's no wrong or right in trash talking. what i do believe is that, if u do trash talk at the table, make sure u have the skills to back it up. no point trash talking if u dont even know how to take advantage of the situations u create.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If you don't have chat on, you won't see who the donkey is who's trying to trash talk.

Trash Talking Donkey Detection.

:D :D :D

Chat is a definite give away to a players mind set at that specific moment in time.
Let there be Chat .........

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Trash Talking Donkey Detection.

:D :D :D

Chat is a definite give away to a players mind set at that specific moment in time.
Let there be Chat .........

I said this earlier. By using "trash talk" I might have used the wrong terminology, but I don`t think I did.

It seems that without exception everyone who is against "trash talking" assumes it is what Phil Helmuth & Tony G use.

Is what Jamie Gold does "trash talk"

Trash-talk is a form of boast or insult commonly heard in competitive situations (such as sports events). In cricket it is called slating. Other terms are `winding up`. It is often used to intimidate the opposition, but can also be used in a humorous spirit.

I would love to know how well the people who are against trash talking actually do when playing poker. They probably don`t like it because it gets under their skin and they are losing players.

And I don`t want people to tell me they make a fortune playing ring games...no real evidence :cool:

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow - that's some hilarious logic: "people who don't agree with me must be losing players"

FWIW I didn't have Tony G style trash talk in mind when I said it was stupid. I didn't need to because at the end of the day it doesn't matter what your style of "trash talk" is - whatever the style, the problem remains that you're drawing the attention of fish to their mistakes, effectively telling them where they're going wrong, and that will always be a stupid, stupid thing to do.

But I guess I must be a losing player because I disagree with you, and therefore you can ignore what I'm saying...

D

dan abnormal

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I sometimes answered insult or throw them but only problem is once they bust you or you bust them out. You look kind of like an idiot to other people at the table for getting into chat fights. BUT DAMN sometimes cant help it, and sometimes I just join in for fun

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow - that's some hilarious logic: "people who don't agree with me must be losing players"

FWIW I didn't have Tony G style trash talk in mind when I said it was stupid. I didn't need to because at the end of the day it doesn't matter what your style of "trash talk" is - whatever the style, the problem remains that you're drawing the attention of fish to their mistakes, effectively telling them where they're going wrong, and that will always be a stupid, stupid thing to do.

But I guess I must be a losing player because I disagree with you, and therefore you can ignore what I'm saying...
How is drawing attention of fish to their mistake if you say something like "If I push I don`t think u got the bottle to call" or "Think about it. I`ve either got a flush or its a bluff - would probably have bet the straight earlier on that flop" "Only decision you have to make now is, do you want to go home or stay longer"...etc, etc, etc

BTW, I didnt say `must` I said `probably`

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Those examples are different to the ones you gave earlier.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"If I push I don`t think u got the bottle to call" or "Think about it. I`ve either got a flush or its a bluff - would probably have bet the straight earlier on that flop" "Only decision you have to make now is, do you want to go home or stay longer"...etc, etc, etc

How is this possible when you said earlier..

I don`t needle anyone when I am in a pot - I don`t say anything, so I can`t answer your second point.

They are not only different but they require you to chat whilst in a pot, something you said you did not do.

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How is this possible when you said earlier..

They are not only different but they require you to chat whilst in a pot, something you said you did not do.

I didnt say that is what I said, I was pointing out how some comments could be made that are not abusive but are still classed as trash talk.

U will have to get up a lot earlier in the morning to catch me out, little boy :cool:

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How is drawing attention of fish to their mistake if you say something like "If I push I don`t think u got the bottle to call" or "Think about it. I`ve either got a flush or its a bluff - would probably have bet the straight earlier on that flop" "Only decision you have to make now is, do you want to go home or stay longer"...etc, etc, etc

BTW, I didnt say `must` I said `probably`

In that case, what relevance is this?

Its not something you do so why are you asking about it?

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In that case, what relevance is this?
Its not something you do so why are you asking about it?

What Country are you from? You seem to be struggling with the concept of the English language my friend.

The reason I wrote that was because I was trying to make a distinction between berating people, e.g. "You d***, how could u call all the way to the river with that" - in essence, pointing out the mistake the person has made and giving them the opportunity to rectify that mistake.

This is different to this "Think about it. I`ve either got a flush or its a bluff - would probably have bet the straight earlier on that flop"

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What Country are you from? You seem to be struggling with the concept of the English language my friend.

The reason I wrote that was because I was trying to make a distinction between berating people, e.g. "You d***, how could u call all the way to the river with that" - in essence, pointing out the mistake the person has made and giving them the opportunity to rectify that mistake.

This is different to this "Think about it. I`ve either got a flush or its a bluff - would probably have bet the straight earlier on that flop"

If it helps you to tilt less then sure go for it. Otherwise, as said previously, there is absolutely no merit to this strategy.

BTW I am from England, if that is of any relevance.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So just to be clear...

Just to clarify...

If a real donk hits I will not be nasty, I will normally be witty, something like "Hey John, if u call tech support they will sort u out a fold button" or "You call button must be worn out by now" - they are always followed by a smiley face or wink.

^ according to your posts, this is the stuff you actually say. I'd say it was fair to call this stuff trash talk, and it's definitely got an element of point out fishes' mistakes to it. In my mind, that makes it -EV in the long run.

^ this, on the other hand (according to what you've said below) isn't stuff that you'd say - rather, it's examples of things people could say at the table that you don't think should be considered trash talk.

FWIW I'd probably agree, these examples aren't really trash talk. Maybe needling is a better word for it. I still think there's some fish education in it (what if the player never even noticed the possible flush?) but on the whole it's not as bad as the examples of stuff you say you actually say at the table.

I didnt say that is what I said, I was pointing out how some comments could be made that are not abusive but are still classed as trash talk.

So which is it? Which ones are the ones you actually say at the table, and claim are a good strategy to employ?

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So which is it? Which ones are the ones you actually say at the table, and claim are a good strategy to employ?

Right, let me get this straight.

I naturally `needle` people at the table - sarcasm, whatever you want to call it.

I can`t be bothered going through all of the post, but I don`t think at any point I either said I do this or that - the only thing I think I admitted to was that I check out SS/ OPR after a bad beat and it makes me feel better - I don`t then say to the guy who has made the bad play "Your stats stink"

I will say "Next time u raise I`m all in regardless" this, as an example, lets them know I`m taking notice.

One thing I don`t think I said was "This is a good strategy to employ"

The game of poker is all about opinions. Obviously a lot of people here say they do not agree and some of the points raised against this have been very good.

There are people who do agree that it is a good strategy.

The people I can`t be bothered with are the ones that seem to say things "Cause it is the right thing to say" and normally without substance.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Right, let me get this straight.

I naturally `needle` people at the table - sarcasm, whatever you want to call it.

I can`t be bothered going through all of the post, but I don`t think at any point I either said I do this or that - the only thing I think I admitted to was that I check out SS/ OPR after a bad beat and it makes me feel better - I don`t then say to the guy who has made the bad play "Your stats stink"

Some things you said you do.

Just to clarify...

If a real donk hits I will not be nasty, I will normally be witty, something like "Hey John, if u call tech support they will sort u out a fold button" or "You call button must be worn out by now" - they are always followed by a smiley face or wink.

If I`m playing against decent players and I get half decent hands and push say 2 or 3 times in a row, I will then become a big head "Like taking candy off babies" "I`m so good at this game"

This is controlled most of the time.

When I do `blow aka tilt ` I will control it after a few seconds. The way I do this is I keep moaning on til I get a decent hand, make some comment about how bad everyone is and make it look like I`m on tilt by saying something like "see you muppets later" push with my AK type of holding and the amount of times I get called by Ax or K10...u will be amazed.

All of this, btw, is easier for me to do - probably because I`m so good at it.

Something you said you don't do.

I don`t needle anyone when I am in a pot - I don`t say anything, so I can`t answer your second point.

The only reason I post this is because I remember things so it seems strange to me that I can know more about what was written than the person who wrote it.

TAC91

TAC91

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wanna play a cuppla hands... ;)

-
:pI'm always up for playing against any one bud. I only play on Carbon now that Tilt is down. I don't have much real $ so I play freerolls and step sng's a lot. You'll mostly find me on omaha tables. (play money)

SN: RiverKiller999 :)

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some things you said you do.

Something you said you don't do.

The only reason I post this is because I remember things so it seems strange to me that I can know more about what was written than the person who wrote it.

For Christ sake. Check what I said "I don`t needle people when I`m in a pot"
note "IN A POT" - I will before and after but very rarely, IN A POT!!!

When I do `blow (I guess u have added `AKA tilt`?) I said I control it after a few seconds. I then start to have a go at people to make them think I`m on tilt, til I get a good hand.

If I were u Stu, I would just back out. U r starting to make yourself look silly :cool: