Trash talking - is it a good `tool`?

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only successful trash talker I've seen is Tony G. Usually the rest just failure and are trash talking because they're getting upset at how the game is going and in general, they just suck at poker at lot of the time.

Demonomania

Demonomania

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Players still use the chat box at tables?

...................................o_O

Reptar7

Reptar7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMO, trash talking is rarely good business. If you anger the other player, he might leave. If you point out how bad the player is, he will either start to play much better or leave. The only possible good thing to come from trash talk would be if you tilt a good player, but how can you ever really know that you've tilted him? It might just make him scarier, maybe he will slow roll you or do something weird. Better to just leave him alone and pick on the donks while also being nice to them and make the experience of dumping money to you a nice one that maybe they will want to repeat. Also, you don't want to look like a jerk.

Reptar7

Reptar7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion I dont have respect for people who resort to less then favorable means to win. I don't know a single poker player that actually cashes on a regular basis that plays what I think is dirty. I feel if you are trying so hard to provoke others emotions its almost impossible that you are not doing the same to yourself. Who wants to live life on that emotional roller coaster? I sure don't. The game already requires much mental stability. Playing with that stratagy "TOOL" would just be exausting. Who want to make a living by bringing down others? not me. Not saying I am perfect.. I have snapped before, and all it does it make ME feel bad. I don't know about anyone else, but I have a conscience! Did I spell that right? Conscience? lol

Isn't poker based on profiting by bring down others? It's an eat or be eaten environment, IMO. I do agree that it is best to minimize the emotional rollercoaster that is poker, and trying to provoke others certainly would not help one keep his or herself's emotions in check.

E

Eddie Leeway

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All good points...and I agree

I need to learn to ignore it more...I do have a sense of humor over someone whining over one single hand in an SnG, and I guess that's why I throw it it back sometimes

5 years ago the chat would stay off and I would just stick to my game... It's time to go back and focus on my numbers and hands

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow, sick bump of this thread..lmao.

I actually did get involved in chat a couple of time over the last 50k hands. I dont turn chat off cause I ignore it. But I also see if someone chats and it is a very good tell a lot of times. Like when 2(3-4) people start having conversations, maybe about another player, how bad they are etc, or if one becomes the "teacher" it all gives me info on their mindset. I had a guy call my c/shove pocket AA with A flop he had SC and 1 flush card on the flop and NOTHING ELSE,. no SD, so pair.... wow. He runner runners the flush. Bink GG. I made a note and was truly happy he played poker. He said sorry, and said how he knows he is a donk and did not deserve that win. I chatted back, "np, wp".

Another table, a reg I face a lot, tried to all in bluff me off a hand - and he played it real bad as well, I was obv. not going anywhere - and when I had his entire stack, he called me an idiot and pretty much told me to **** off, all in Spanish. Since I play him a lot, i chatted back"Is that Spanish for "I suck at poker?"" Now, I rarely do this, but want him to keep trying to stupidly agro bluff me, He left the table one hand after that. lol. I have played him a lot since, and now am a bit more able to bluff him off a pot IP, he was a lot more agro with 3 bets b4. Maybe he just has a bad run, who knows.

In any case, I have chat on since players stabs at me amuse me if I notice at all, and I get a small tidbit of info now and then. But I believe chatting while playing is in 99.9999% of all cases a waste of time, unless it is to say hi to a player you may know or something.

And even then, probably just dont.

Amandalyn

Amandalyn

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Isn't poker based on profiting by bring down others? It's an eat or be eaten environment, IMO. I do agree that it is best to minimize the emotional rollercoaster that is poker, and trying to provoke others certainly would not help one keep his or herself's emotions in check.
When i was talking about bringing down others i was not talking in the sense of winning there chips I was talking about the people who think they have to play nasty, be crude and get people on tilt to get there chips and then feel proud of what they have dont to the other person in order for them to make a living. Make sense? Hard to expain what I mean I dont think written explination is my strong suit lol. I just mean I chose to play in the most gracious way possible and I understand that most people that are playing are there more to have a good time than make a living at it and I believe they are entitled to do that without others.. "Bringing them down"

Reptar7

Reptar7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only successful trash talker I've seen is Tony G. Usually the rest just failure and are trash talking because they're getting upset at how the game is going and in general, they just suck at poker at lot of the time.

My only experience of watching Tony G was when he played Isildur1 in one of the first Isildur Challenges on Stars. All his chat did was tilt himself. He would say how good he was, then call Isildur a donk, then get really angry, then try to be nice, when he won a big hand he would get all cocky like he was the best player in the world, when he finally lost he went on a long rant about how he is a joke and should never play poker again and he only has gotten to where he is now because he started at the beginning of the poker boom. It was just ridiculous to see how he was using chat. He was giving away so much information. The chat for Tony G is like a heartbeat monitor, you know what his emotion is at each moment. I can't imagine playing on a regular basis on that kind of emotional rollercoaster. Meanwhile, Isildur1 barely said anything as he pounded Tony G into the felt. It seemed like Isildur just broke Tony G by just being a pro and not using chat, while having Tony G give away so much info for Isildur to exploit.

tldr version, Tony G sucks.

E

Eddie Leeway

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, sick bump of this thread..lmao.

I actually did get involved in chat a couple of time over the last 50k hands. I dont turn chat off cause I ignore it. But I also see if someone chats and it is a very good tell a lot of times. Like when 2(3-4) people start having conversations, maybe about another player, how bad they are etc, or if one becomes the "teacher" it all gives me info on their mindset. I had a guy call my c/shove pocket AA with A flop he had SC and 1 flush card on the flop and NOTHING ELSE,. no SD, so pair.... wow. He runner runners the flush. Bink GG. I made a note and was truly happy he played poker. He said sorry, and said how he knows he is a donk and did not deserve that win. I chatted back, "np, wp".

Another table, a reg I face a lot, tried to all in bluff me off a hand - and he played it real bad as well, I was obv. not going anywhere - and when I had his entire stack, he called me an idiot and pretty much told me to **** off, all in Spanish. Since I play him a lot, i chatted back"Is that Spanish for "I suck at poker?"" Now, I rarely do this, but want him to keep trying to stupidly agro bluff me, He left the table one hand after that. lol. I have played him a lot since, and now am a bit more able to bluff him off a pot IP, he was a lot more agro with 3 bets b4. Maybe he just has a bad run, who knows.

In any case, I have chat on since players stabs at me amuse me if I notice at all, and I get a small tidbit of info now and then. But I believe chatting while playing is in 99.9999% of all cases a waste of time, unless it is to say hi to a player you may know or something.

And even then, probably just dont.

This is something I agree with very much...It's good to know who is who mentally.

Crybabies like this tend to lean towards tilt and make mistakes in these situations

Hope you're doing well, Fletch

shanest

shanest

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Anyone got any good trash talk lines for me?

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your mama's so fat, she jumped up and got stuck.

-

Faust

Faust

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It isn't a good tool when you are not used to it. If you do it automatically, you don't have to be thinking about it, surely it can annoy others. If you have to be conscious while you are doing it, it surely can be your ruin because you will be focused on that and not in poker. That's more or less how our tricky mind works, the actions we do consciously will kinda have the impact we want to, but the other we leave it to our unconscious (always measured in time lapses - the seconds that last our actions while we are focused -) and that's pretty dangerous in some cases.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On Pokerstar, the player chat privilege can be revoked if they caught the player doing too much trash talking.I dont find find trash talking is beneficial for the game.It will only ruin your concentration.

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Your momma's so bad at poker I stack her every night

T

tortuga420

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
it depends on whats said if your venting just to make mean cruel comments about that person I think is very childish and in bad taste. But to goad them a little to try to disrupt there game is fine .. I myself make jokes and when someone vents on me I strike back also so it can work in reverse too i have made countless bullies of words tilt and take em off the table so i can go either way i guess

BadB420

BadB420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im not a big fan of trash talking at the tables, majority of time I come into contact with a person talking trash at a table they usually dont last long!

Its hard to win a poker tournament but the one thing you have got to remember is that you can't take everybody out in a tournament, all you can do is play your table accordingly and hope to knock a few people out along the way!

With this in mind the last thing I would want to do is have a whole table teaming up against me trying to knock-off the trash talking guy!

However I do actually do a form of trash talk at the table, I act like a nice guy and tell everybody Nice Hand even when some lucky dude just sucked out on me! I have found this is a much better approach because you get more respect from fellow players and a lot of times you can live off of blinds until the FT with this action!

Everybody is going to team up against the trash talking guy, but if your the nice guy people give you respect and that in long term can prove to be much more efficient!

G

Garbaniuzas

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess you are spending your time for no reason, while you can play better every hand.

razshahan

razshahan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i personally think trash talking is good for your game. It causes the hot tempered or amateur players to loose control, and then they can be exploited. It worked for me better in real life games rather than online games. During playing online it is very irritating to type. And most players dont even notice what others are typing in the chat box. So its not that much helpful in online games

G

guutox

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate who stay all time trying trash talk......especially who think is better than others.

PokerFunKid

PokerFunKid

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Trash talking your self no, but players who trashtalk seem to be on tilt. This is the time to steal the chips of your opponent. :)