Trash talking - is it a good `tool`?

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stu_Ungar...

The conversation went in a different direction. I was pointing out why and what I was using SS or OPR - a way of making me feel better when the clown makes a bad play. That might not help u, but it makes me feel better to know that the clown who sucked out on me is normally a losing player and it just so happens that I`m the unlucky one today only.

And I disagree that people only needle if they want a call - thats a bit like saying a maniac never pushes all in with the nuts.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stu_Ungar...

The conversation went in a different direction. I was pointing out why and what I was using SS or OPR - a way of making me feel better when the clown makes a bad play. That might not help u, but it makes me feel better to know that the clown who sucked out on me is normally a losing player and it just so happens that I`m the unlucky one today only.

And I disagree that people only needle if they want a call - thats a bit like saying a maniac never pushes all in with the nuts.

You have tilt issues, you need to address them, and trash talk is not the answer.

Have you, personally, ever needled anyone when you wanted a fold?

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have tilt issues, you need to address them, and trash talk is not the answer.

Have you, personally, ever needled anyone when you wanted a fold?

I don`t know if u r a good or bad player and I really don`t care - please don`t tell me I have tilt issues when u don`t know me.

All I know is, I play poker as a pastime and I win on average just over $1,000 a month, playing a mix of MTT, SNG & ring games.

I don`t needle anyone when I am in a pot - I don`t say anything, so I can`t answer your second point.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don`t know if u r a good or bad player and I really don`t care - please don`t tell me I have tilt issues when u don`t know me.

I was pointing out why and what I was using SS or OPR - a way of making me feel better when the clown makes a bad play. That might not help u, but it makes me feel better to know that the clown who sucked out on me is normally a losing player and it just so happens that I`m the unlucky one today only.

Thats a guy on tilt!

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
+1 mirrion, if you need to make yourself feel better and/or berate someone after you lost a hand, you have tilt issues.

JOEBOB69

JOEBOB69

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sarcasm-meter-1266813142.jpeg

Last edited:
Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No point Joe.

According to Stu I have tilt issues and I use a tactic that does not work :D

Sorry did I hack into your CC account and write this?

That is you describing the feeling of tilt, do you not understand?

If you need to feel better then it implies that at that moment you are feeling bad.. an uncontrollable emotional response to a suck-out.. AKA tilt.

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry did I hack into your CC account and write this?

That is you describing the feeling of tilt, do you not understand?

If you need to feel better then it implies that at that moment you are feeling bad.. an uncontrollable emotional response to a suck-out.. AKA tilt.

"Tilt is a poker term for a state of mental or emotional confusion or frustration in which a player adopts a less than optimal strategy, usually resulting in the player becoming over-aggressive."

Look Stu. U don`t agree with any form of trash talk, needle, etc, etc...great. I do.

I do not go on tilt - my game does not change. However, yes, I do feel better when I find someone who makes a bad play is a losing player.

So, to conclude, I am possibly starting to tilt, but when I check the stats I don`t. I can tell u now, it is a long, long time since I made a play in poker because I was on tilt

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Given we have established above that trash talking is a less than optimal strategy, your behavior actually fits your definition of tilt.

But moving on from that, what exactly is it you are looking to get out of this thread?!? It's obvious you're not the least bit interested in anyone else's opinion, no matter how sensible their argument is...

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Given we have established above that trash talking is a less than optimal strategy, your behavior actually fits your definition of tilt.

But moving on from that, what exactly is it you are looking to get out of this thread?!? It's obvious you're not the least bit interested in anyone else's opinion, no matter how sensible their argument is...

This made me lol cause as I was looking in my user CP and saw this thread had more comments, I was thinking the same thing.

This thread is just a volley of "I do it and think its a good idea" and responses "Not a good idea in my (our) opinion" then repeat the previous 2 quotes in other words endlessly.

I am un-subscribing, as it seems all has been said that can be said. A lot of repeating various arguments that make sense have just been disregarded, and I cant see this changing.

twoturntablez

twoturntablez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I called a min raise after limping in with QJspades earlier today, this guy on the button had made a few such raises and there were 4 to the flop.
Flop A72 spades, I bet 80 into 160 and get raised to 340, I minraised this bet and he pushes all in. Instacall and he has A3no spades.Turn A, river 3.
I lost a buyin for $4 in this hand on PKR and this hand drove me nuts. I gave myself a big facepalm, sat in bed playing poker and my partner had just lost her HU match to some twat who was giving it the big all in preflop 50%, she calls with AJ>J6 and he rivers a straight.
It was the first time since I can remember that I didnt just move on and forget about it. I didnt open any more tables or register because of this but I did begin to berate the player. wow you are so great, donk luckbox. Im playing PKR and he yawns at me. I quickly plug in pokerstove to tell him he had 3%. yawns again.
Go down the sweetshop kid thatll give you some energy I say, realising im being a dick, nobody cares and im making myself look silly. 10 minutes later I was over it, I think I wont bother the next time its just completely pointless.
I did type, "oh youre so good" to the player who raised my 4xbb utg raise w QQ,
got it all in on the flop and he had a gutshot straight draw needing a 6 to go with his k8. The dude got a backdoor flush. Unbeleivable. Im over it though, and I wont be tyoing any more rubbish to players on PKR, its just so easy to make someone look silly and who likes whinging poms anyway?
Go the All Blacks!

E

Eddie Leeway

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have'nt seen much trash talking since I started up again.

Years ago it was all over the place. I think it is more minimal now than before and I always figured if they're pissed you're under their skin like in sports. There is a psychological game which can help you win

No one should be being nasty to you, and I shut the chat off before. Nowadays I leave the chat off until I start playing with friends

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This made me lol cause as I was looking in my user CP and saw this thread had more comments, I was thinking the same thing.

This thread is just a volley of "I do it and think its a good idea" and responses "Not a good idea in my (our) opinion" then repeat the previous 2 quotes in other words endlessly.

I am un-subscribing, as it seems all has been said that can be said. A lot of repeating various arguments that make sense have just been disregarded, and I cant see this changing.

Good

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

What, and you and Stu do not get effected at all? almost every second response has been from Stu

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What, and you and Stu do not get effected at all?

In all honesty, its very very rare that losing a stack effects me.

This doesn't mean I get angry but am good at dealing with it, it means I don't get angry in the first place.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

agreed
"Trash Talkers" LOL. I consider putting a note on them.... add 'em to the 'slowroll list' & if I happen to suckout on them... prolly write back in chat > "Thanks Skippy!"

T

ThePokerGoon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
trash talking is fun at home games or just with people your closer with. However a good player is a good player, they generally won't tilt off of what some guy next to them said about a previous action. Keep your focus on the game. your bet patterns are your strongest psychological misdirect. Don't forget the numbers ultimately dictate the winner.

Last edited:
bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
trash talking to fish=stupid.
trash talking to regs=good.

Karkus77

Karkus77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like trash talk, i never do it myself but i find it useful for picking up tells from people who are using it

no one here thats said they dont trash talk said they dont tilt, we all tilt, i have a desktop punchbag thats great :)

R

RVladimiro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What tells do you pick up from trash talk?

Regarding tilt. Tilt is like a musician playing the wrong note. Doesn't matter if he hit the wrong note, just what he does afterwards. The more I play the less I tilt and I trully believe that tilt is a matter of ego. If we all here want to play rationally, there's no ego involved. The less ego, the less tilt.

brank

brank

Back in!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Grunching this thread.

Its rare for me to address a trash talker and they never have an effect on me. Im usually playing too many tables to even notice it anyways and now that Im playing on PS all the chat is in either russian or spanish, lol. The odd time I do get into it with someone when is Im in the mood and only playin like 2 tables and usually by the end of it all we are laughing with each other and trying to out do each other. It can be fun but as far as the +/- ev of it all I seriously doubt that its ever + ev.