Statistics yes or no?

N

Nel1523

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have seen several videos or streams where both professionals and recreational players play with statistics. In professionals they might be helpful, but in a recreational one, playing with statistics is very helpful?

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The more more information/statistics you have typically means the more edge you have at that moment, obviously you can play GTO poker or Exploitative poker.
The combination of both probably is the best choice, by leveraging the information that is available at the time of play.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I don't rely on statistics because I don't have my own style of play, I play differently depending on my mood at the moment, so the statistics don't help me much.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Of course, it all depends on your goals, but if you are talking about using additional statistical programs, then I do not see much need for them. If you talk about statistics in general, then without a doubt, it is needed by all players and carries very valuable information.

EmiTou

EmiTou

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have seen what you say, I personally do not use statistics, I think that if you add games, it makes it easier to know and remember your opponent, I think it loses the essence of the game a bit, but it ultimately shows what your mind should know.

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The statistics in recreational players is not so important because they are players who will only play in their free time, therefore you will not frequent the tables with the same player who only plays for fun, instead that the usual players who We call them the regular REGS if it is important to have information since you will see them very often at the tables and they can have advantages over you with help systems to collect information about your movements in the game and you must play with statistics also because you will be exploited by your adversaries REG.

M

M13A13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Statistics, in fact what they are:
They are random events that simulate a situation where the chances occur.
In poker for example the pair of AA, statistically wins the pair of 22, most of the time, however the same statistic does not exclude the probability of the pair of 22 winning the pair of AA and neither of any other card winning the pair AA.
It is important for the player to play with statistics, since poker is a game of events and not of sequences, the logic behind this is everything in poker undergoes variations.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Personally, I do not use statistics, but I think that additional information about your opponent's game will not be superfluous !!!

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If your goal is to win, then statistics are essential. If you are playing to lose or for fun, then you don't need it!

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are talking about statistics or tendencies of an individual I can say they have helped me many times. Sometimes statistics are more important than the actual cards in my hand. If a player folds/calls a CB often or folds to a raise when in the BB even the VIP can dictate how i play the player and not the hand.

If you are talking game statistics or math then they will help you make the correct decision over the long run.

Statistically 97% of players do not make money playing poker. But we still try.

Raphael Zabel

Raphael Zabel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't use it but I believe that for professional or regular players it is very useful.

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Also I forgot statistics are very very very important in analysing your own game. They can often tell you where your play is weak.

G

Germanets

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course, yes, it can be helpful for any player, who understands what statistics means. I don't see any reason to not use statistics or any other allowed thing, which can help to win often or more)
Probably, statistics will not help for players, who start with very big HUD with tens of parameters, like pro players do. It is really difficult to understand all thing in one time, but if player will start just with 2-4 stats - it should help him.

L

LukeSilver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It does often surprise me when I see how many keen poker players struggle to turn a profit then I see so many disregard statistics and there is the answer.

Statistics is vital in poker and absolutely essential to success.

Poker is a game of incomplete information and as such we work with the limited information we have and apply statistics to that.

there are weak players/recreational players I see around a lot. there are also some very strong players I see around not often, but yes as a generic rule we will see an individual decent player more then we will an individual weak player simply because the decent player survives with their deposits longer/indefinitely where as weak/losing players empty their accounts and have to wait to redeposit or can play less games etc.

against a random new player with no intel my play style would be my base style so to speak until I gained information to realise spots to play this guy specifically.

However my base game is based on a lot of calculations and work away from the tables and my adaptations are based on what I have learnt from my work to form the base game to recognise spots i can exploit.

all this is built upon statistics.

when I successfully call a bluff off and my girlfriend thinks me a genius news flash I rarely am 100% confident that I have the best hand, I put my oppenant on a range of hands roughly and work out the odds I am getting on my call and thus statistically if a call is profitable. I look like a genius when I successfully snap off the bluff but not so smart when I lose a big pot. Mathematically I am turning profit though.

this is all based on statistics.

the only difference between a player you see around a lot and one who you have only just seen is the amount of information you have to inform a decision either way statistics is still very important.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. I feel that stats are very important. To me, it means #of outs, top 10%?, position and chance of being overbid, etc.

Goblingerty

Goblingerty

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can never work out statistics, but recreational player & my style varies depending on mood & other players game strategy

S

SharkFinn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You might want to explain exactly what you mean by statistics in the question. Statistics in general are essential to every decision you make in poker and is not possible to play without them. Opening ranges, calling ranges, bet sizing, whether to bet a certain board etc. is all based on statistics.

I suspect you may be asking about HUDs rather than statistics generally?

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
HUD is just a tool. If you know how to use it it will help. If not it can make more harm than good.

C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Statistics? I treat them only as a curiosity. This is not the most important thing in poker.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You might want to explain exactly what you mean by statistics in the question. Statistics in general are essential to every decision you make in poker and is not possible to play without them. Opening ranges, calling ranges, bet sizing, whether to bet a certain board etc. is all based on statistics....
I agree. The type of statistics we are talking about is important.

General poker probabilities: to win, we absolutely need some understanding here.
Our personal statistics: discovering our leaks and where we lose the most or make the most is very helpful to improve our game. We will have more data on ourselves than on any other player, so this is the most powerful use of our time.
Our opponent statistics: while this can be very helpful, we will likely not have large chunks of data. The data can lead us astray if we are not careful, so we need to be very careful with how we interpret other players stats. It is easy to get lost in the data and forget we are playing poker. But knowing our opponents fold frequencies can help us a ton.

So the answer to the question of "whether to use statistics or not", depends on your goals. Playing poker simply for the fun of it with no regard for how much you lose (or win) requires no statistics. Playing poker to win and improve requires use of statistics. Both are OK endeavors.

Good luck and God bless.

Riccoboni

Riccoboni

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have seen several videos or streams where both professionals and recreational players play with statistics. In professionals they might be helpful, but in a recreational one, playing with statistics is very helpful?

Like Brunson, I am not in favor of HUD either. Because these softwares mainly favor those who are able to buy them, that is, a recreational player who tries to play professionally and is not able to have a HUD, will not be able to beat those who use the HUD. I am against the HUD.

Z

Zirkzee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In longhand no limit it may not help you that much. But in shorthand no limit the hand range with which your opponent 3-bets from different positions helps a lot. Then you can better assess where you stand and maybe 4-bet him. In shorthand play you have to play more aggressively and sometimes deviate from your style. Therefore it is all the more important that you can assess your opponents on certain hands.

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think if the platform allows that softs and you choose to not use them , your opponents get some edge on you..