Statistics yes or no?

Whaevoz

Whaevoz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Although they are related and many use the terms interchangeably, there is a difference between statistics and probability. Both are important in Poker but at different times.

Statistics: the practice or science dealing with the collection, analysis, interpretation, and presentation of masses of numerical data

If you don't collect and analyze statistics on you own personal play, you have no real idea on how well or bad you are doing.

Probability: the extent to which an event is likely to occur, measured by the ratio of the favorable cases to the whole number of cases possible.

So, during a hand, it is probabilities you really want to focus on.

K

kobra80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't use statistics. maybe that's why I'm losing

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The lack of information when playing poker can be compensated for thanks to statistics - the characteristics of the behavior of players in a given situation, which often make it possible with a high degree of probability to determine the strength of an opponent's hand and predict his future actions. Statistics can be used in two ways: own statistics to analyze your game; poker statistics of opponents for making decisions during the game.

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Statistics are needed if you play a lot of tables and don't have time to keep track of everyone. If you play 2-3 tables, you don't need it.

Z

Zirkzee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the sample size is sufficient, you could theoretically assume that the Stats are meaningful. But what exactly does that mean? You are sitting at a table and actually have a few thousand hands from your opponent. That should be a number where you can find helpful information. But what you must not forget:

• The stats come from different days, possibly even weeks.
• Villain can have good days and bad days. • Villain can change its style from time to time.
• Villain operates table selection and primarily plays against loose-passive opponents.
Villain plays differently against you. There are many influencing factors to consider.

A simple example is the 3-bet value. The 3-bet value in itself is an opaque value. To really get a rough range, the position value is to be considered. For example, what does it mean if your opponent 3-bets 7%? He 3-bets maybe 5% on CO, 10% on BU and very little in the blinds. Or the other way around: In position, he tends to make calls, but 3-bets very much in the small blind and in the big blind much. This changes so much that it is imperative to look at the position value. There is another factor: Your opponent 3-bets a value Y in position X, but this is up all tables and all opponents occupied. It is not to say that the player is in these situations against you [/ u] just as much 3-bets. You too pay attention to your opponents in your actions (who are you 3-betting and why?), They will be yours Do the same to counterparties. If you consider all of these points, it becomes clear that such stats should be treated with caution, and you cannot justify expensive moves in the long term with them alone. What you should definitely take with you: Stats are always to be questioned critically! Do not trust them blindly and keep your eyes open to any possible Uncover misinformation.

P

ppartizan2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well i think it really depends on the table and the opponents.Sometimes its better to go with the gut feeling and sometimes its better to calculate.I usually do statistics all the time because it does give you the upper hand.

fang215874

fang215874

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I have seen several videos or streams where both professionals and recreational players play with statistics. In professionals they might be helpful, but in a recreational one, playing with statistics is very helpful?
Why do you need all this tinsel? Are you playing 10-50 limits? Do you play 10-15 tournaments a day? If not, forget about these assistants.

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I only play online , but I plan to start playing live games , so I avoid using online stats which can be vicious and hinder me in online training

V

vladikov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer to play without statistics utilities. I keep notes of different player plays and I have no problems

D

denis_og79

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
you enter the game to win and you have to base yourself on something, so it's worth using the stats. for example, if you are watching videos and streams you are looking for information to better play

J

jn137

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Statistics are used to analyze the past.

Probability is used to try and predict the future.

Stats by themselves mean almost nothing in the present, in regards to outcome. As anything can happen at anytime. Take baseball for example.. Let's say a player has a .290 batting average. When he comes to the plate, this doesn't mean he has a 29% chance of getting a hit. It simply means 29 out of the last 100 resulted in hits.

R

RDHartsoe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would definitely use stats. I think it would help me but I don't know of a good program to use. Any suggestions?

jleon_zat

jleon_zat

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always say first it is better to analyze then interpret and then risk

gery

gery

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Statistics are sometimes good but as i learned that every hand could beat AA or somthing else,
i don't belive in statistics any more, it's good to study but not for more -

only the expierence is that what counts.

A

alabos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Dont play with statistic.......i play with my feeling and when i play on one site i remember some player how he play....

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes that separates certain top level players from one another. When you know about probabilities and possibilites.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It is always valuable a mathematical analysis of the game and a statistical tracking of the games. It helps the most to have a right view of your course!

G

Guccipatna77

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel stats sure would be A huge advantage if easily able to get. I'm more of a old school poker player. Play off reads , intuition and stack size and and of course play premium hands if playing online or with people I don't know. I can barely figure out how to use this site more less HUDs or any other way to get stats smh wish I was able to tho I'm sure it would help my bankroll. LoL

forrow10

forrow10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From time to time, statistics can be useful in making a difficult decision or evaluating your own game.
I dont use it yet just because I dont know wich program is legal and wich not.

Lenka65

Lenka65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
opinion

I have always dispensed with statistics and treated the players who use them very badly. I think this is not fair play.

D

David Gibson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not use statistics. I like to place more at live games and statistics are not available there. Therefore, I play real poker and learn my opponents.
I honestly think that using statistics is a form of cheating and should be band from the game altogether.
I know I will get flack for saying it, but it is true. Why should we play any differently online than in person?
The one huge advantage that I see is the online statistics player will be completely out of their realm if they do try to play live.

See you in Vegas!

D

David Gibson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also I forgot statistics are very very very important in analysing your own game. They can often tell you where your play is weak.
I do agree that statistics can be useful for my own personal game. Seeing what I need to work on, but not statistics on other people.

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You bring up a good point but the fact that you're asking, I'd say you're more than just a rec player or trying to approach this semi-pro, some time as most recs wouldn't even bother to ask :) but to answer, It's valuable! but is it worth it? No as you probably won't utilize the info, as a rec, speaking generally here.

H

Hsac

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have seen several videos or streams where both professionals and recreational players play with statistics. In professionals they might be helpful, but in a recreational one, playing with statistics is very helpful?
Hey, knowledge is power whether you're a professional or amateur.

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
statistics will not give you an exact solution, it will show you the solution (in general), but there will not be an unambiguous exact solution, you must always proceed from a specific situation