Skill or Luck? Whats your opinion?

C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's fifty-fifty becomes in 60%of luck to 40%skills.

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no skill no luck in poker,it's the same game and no luck in it any how)is a single skill is not enough.

Natta777

Natta777

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
For me there is 40% success, 40% intuition, 20% knowledge.In such games, as фрироллы, where enormous amount of novices, a large role is determined by success.Oftentimes, playing correctly, my pair of АА was beaten by more weak maps, because novices do not think of correct game.In such games I trust only to the intuition:rolleyes:

H

HaroldHouse

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think skill and correct decisions make up 70%. Because you can make the correct decisions to fold on any hand that you will lose in the end. The 30% luck is quessing when 72o is going to draw out against your AA.

xpvictor1

xpvictor1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Awe cmon, there is someone here that actually believes it is all skill that drives their 'non existent' luck. Wish I was all skill and no luck ... but alas ..... no such luck.

S

Sacredoro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game of skill in the long run. Poker online is more skill dependent than live. You can play much more hands online and you can also have software to analyze your sessions to identify leaks in your game.
To become a winning poker player you have to work hard, study the game, adapt to your opponents and be willing to improve your game on a daily basis.

MadDeVille

MadDeVille

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luck dosent exist... Only probabbility
I dont know what to say about that. I played a few tournaments that we won with almost every hand, maked big stack, runnig hot and another last week such as bounty $ 55 on Pokerstars where I lost 3 times with AA in that same tournament.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I believe it's 80% skill 20% luck .

Even if you run extraordinary good (win coinflips , hit on the board most of the times sth better than your opponents ) , if you don't play with skill carefully ( know how to play every hand and on every position , adjust your way of playing accordingly to the pots/odds and the players you are against , steal on every nice occasion , etc) you will not be a winning player on the long run .

The more you know the better .

That's why some good players win a lot and have way far more earnings than others , online or live , or else all would break even after a long period of time/many years/decades :)

G

GRPoker001

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for sharing a point to add you have to keep absorbing what is being shared.

Thank you for sharing a point to add you have to keep absorbing what is being shared and use it at your justice to call and read the FISH Vs the Avg. Hand., When you know it you got . . .you actually got it.
In my opinion, for the average player it breaks down like this...

In any one hand luck probably has up to an 100% chance of determining the outcome. In an 4 hour session, luck probably makes up about 85% of the results. Over a week of regular play its probably down to around 75%. A month of regular play and its maybe 66%.

Keep in mind that luck works both ways too. Some days you get chicken, other days you get feathers.

It takes a long time for the averages to catch up just to be statistically even. Sure, aces will hold up XX% of the time, but you to get dealt aces a few hundred times in order to realize that percentage.

Finally, the long term number I think is about right...

In the average grinder's lifetime, luck has probably been cut to about 45%. The best in the world may peak at 40%. Maybe.

A 20% edge seems huge to me, but what do I know.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
There's luck in all kind of sports. But in poker, in a game with the blinds structure very hard (fast and big) and many players, sure luck counts, in my opinion, 60% or more, at least in the first half of the tournament.
But, in cash games, luck counts as well, bu not that much, maybe around 30%, in a long run.
Good Luck!

T

TRocker69

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Skill or Luck?

If you can find a poker site where other players don't know the cards then yes 50-50...

T

TRocker69

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well 50 50

If you can find a poker site where the other players don't know the cards then yes 50-50:hahaha:

Erpherk

Erpherk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Skill is when you can pick up pots with nothing but knowledge of the enemy player, also folding when you are beat requires a lot of skill ...which i am terrible at. I think luck comes into play when you are forced to go all in and need your hand to hit or hold. All combined it makes 1 hell of a game.

G

GoodNukay

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Believin in luck makes you optimist whereas skill is more pessimistic thing

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say that the game is mostly skill. Over the course of time, and enough hands, every players should be roughly dealt the same percentage of good vs bad hands, suckouts and bad beats.

Obviously none of us would allow our opponent to play against us if they, and not ourselves, were allowed to see all the cards in play. That would allow them an unfair advantage and could base their folds, calls, bets, raises and sizes of those to their full advantage.

Being a more skilled player gives you a similar advantage. By understanding how to bridge the gaps of the incomplete information of the game better than your opponent, you can take advantage of situations they can't.

U

Ultfrozen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in low tourneys skill doesnt matter) any 10 2 o can kill your AA)

Y

yedven

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Short term: luck and variance. Long term: Skill & Adoption

70% skill 30% luck, that's facts.
I don't think you can really put a %. It varies. With 70% skill, do top 10% players reach final table 70% of the time? Nope!

Last edited by a moderator:
Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Certainly skill, no luck! If you're lucky, you're a fool!

Jammen

Jammen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From my point of view luck does not exist in poker ... the decision to play a hand or not to play it you take ... and every time you play a hand you know the odds of winning or losing that hand ... in that there is no luck ... for example if you have AA in your hand it does not guarantee that 100% you will win the hand, even hands like these have a percentage of chances of losing what we call variance ... however I believe that the success in poker should depend on the skill with which it is played ..!

What’s the famous Phil Helmuth quote? “If it weren’t for luck, I’d win them all”.

frost234

frost234

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In tournaments I think luck is 20% and skill is 80% :cool:

M

maximmaxim

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not hope for good luck, good luck is not in our power, we must use our resources to the maximum, self-control, strategy, and worthy of losing.

Maikychan

Maikychan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hummm, maybe... 80% skill and 20% luck?

D

Das4ever

Rock Star
Silver Level