Skill or Luck? Whats your opinion?

J

JAAMEZz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nosure who said it first but has always stuck with me.
In the short term, poker is all about luck. In the long term, it is all about skill. that's why you always see the same people smashing it. anyone can get lucky in one hand or tourney but it takes a great player to consistently win.

manolo salazar

manolo salazar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to think that you need a 70% of your skills and 30 % of luck, but poker in special tournaments the variance is so brutal that you think is 30% of skills and 70 % of luck. However, in poker the long term influence in your results that is mean that your percentage of poker would be a 75% of your skills and 25% of luck.

demibar

demibar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Even in times you running really good you need skills to manage your game ,I have seen a lot of players winning on the rue shoving every or most of the hands and lose their stack easily.

S

sergo1203

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
luck and skill that, as a thread and needle. two different, but together bring 100% profit.

A

aaRoriWriter

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Both.
I believe poker is a lot like chess. In poker the same situations are happening again and again too. Definetely, there is a lot to learn. But in poker U can see young players coming against pros more often than in chess.
I guess in chess U have to be a wonderkid or smth.

B

Benego

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's a little bit more than 50% in favor of skill

cleder7

cleder7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For you to profit in the short term you need luck.
For you to profit in the long run you need skill.
If you have both you will profit at any moment.

G

GoSplat678

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Skillz

Its definitely skill. You always see the same people at the final tables at major events because of 2 things.

1. They know the odds of the hands they play the odds of hitting and they count and make mental notes of hits and misses filling in their mental registry of hands and plays.

2. They read body language, and betting patterns and use that information to push someone when they are weak.

There is no substitute for skill in poker. You an get lucky and go on a good run but if you want to come out on top its best if you sit and learn all the %'s and odds of each hand in each situation and put your money in when your % and odds are high

ironduke11

ironduke11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luck is just a word people assign to explain unseemly outcomes...probability is the component like was said earlier...to me poker is dominated by skill players....

F

fastfash25

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Been playing/dealing the game for 25 years. and I think you got it spot on 40% luck 60% skill.

M

marcelo benavidez

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sometimes skill 80, 20 luck....but...other times, 90 luck, 10 skill.

andsws

andsws

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
RO
Chips
I dont want to call it luck..its dumb luck. And yes, besides dumb luck you need some serious skills and a lot of PATIENCE (unfortunately I dont have enough) if you want to get a spot to the final table.

M

muazkkh1996

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the short term, luck plays a big part. You can certainly have a great session or day or week even playing in a non-optimal way. In the long term, skill prevails. One reason why a lot of people think luck is more important is because most of the situations that occur in NLHE involve very small edges. There aren't many situations where you are >80% to win a hand. Even pre-flop AA loses about 20% of the time, which is fairly common. In cash games, it's easier to overcome this since you can reload and keep playing. For tournaments, you need to wait until the next one. If you take a big enough sample size, you will see that skill has a bigger impact. You need to use appropriate starting hand ranges, figure out your opponents' playing styles, make appropriate bet/raise sizes, know the correct pot odds and be able to get good reads on your opponents.
great insight

howiefig

howiefig

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]I think 75% luck and 25% abilities, because many times the best studied hands are disrupted by lucky hands[/COLOR]​

xpvictor1

xpvictor1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh yah!

Luck dosent exist... Only probabbility

I call bullcrap .. luck is real .. but the probability that you will spell probabbility with 3 b's is very high ..:stoned::shakehand

S

SubZero111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1/3

Poker is 1/3 luck and 1/3 skill and 1/3 attitude. And it is possible to win with just one of those 3, but not very often. It requires a bit of all three.

oneybiggs

oneybiggs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i will never forget my mindset entering the tournament of my biggest win.i was so determined and dedicated to getting as deep as i possibly could,i made up my mind i was going to take the very least amount of risk i possibly could,and yet i still found myself in a couple of very tight spots reasonably late in the game,and i got very very lucky in those spots.i still ask myself,could i have avoided those situations,or was it really more of a calculated guess based on how many cards had been folded pre and post flop.in any case it took every ounce of skill within me to reach those couple of very lucky spots,and when you see a pro win a tournament of thousands of people twice in a row no matter how many lucky breaks were involved if any,its the skill and consistency/perseverence that gets them there...no two ways about it in my mind.another way of looking at it,if you skillfully avoid backwards steps,saving your stack for when you need to take a gamble,and get "unlucky" youve still got a stack equal to those that have been playing loose and taking those backwards steps,where as they on the other hand cant afford the same gamble without the loss meaning game over...so for me..no matter how much i scrutinise...its all skill at the end of the day one way or another.

P

pokerpie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
half n half for sure in my opinion. some people might say it leans more towards luck but i split it down the middle.

P

praevus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think more hands/tournaments you need more skill and less lucky

One day is 70% lucky and 30% Skill
One year is 30% lucky and 70% Skill
Ten years is 10% lucky and 90% Skill

N

NickNation

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think Luck Counts 40% Skill 60% or else we wouldnt be seeing those players again and again at the final table

the real question is.. would you rather be lucky, or good? :p

L

LotharMcDowner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say your skill can mitigate luck over time... But you have to play a ton of hands the right way to make up for playing a short time the wrong way.

A

AngelBLR_Poker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that it is skill because tht first day in poker it is 10% skill 90% luck and one Year in Poker it is 90% skill and 10% luck.

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe it is 60% - 40% same, but as it is all a probability and not certainty, luck, for me, still determines things!

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
for a fish to win anything at poker is good luck, for a thinking poker player this is a skill )))