Skill or Luck? Whats your opinion?

B

bosman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Little Luck

I think poker is 80% skill and 20% luck. Probability prevails. Patience is a virtue.

Nemchenko_A

Nemchenko_A

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
As the distance shows, luck in poker is of little importance, the main thing is experience and skill, it's a sport! If you take a percentage, then 25% to 75%.

odo333

odo333

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Skills are needed to minimize risk, but luck is needed to play risky and effective. I prefer the first option.

smknginmaine

smknginmaine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I want to play at tables consisting of those with the mindset it's 50/50.
100% of the time :)

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just watch how often there are bad beats in poker. That is proof that there is a lot of luck.

I

Izfensina

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mainly Skills but Luck is part of the game especially in flip coin situations.

J

John bruce

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My favorite is in any giving day 90 % luck 10% skill. Over a year is 10% luck and 90% skill. Really. I like to see how that's even mathematically possible. That's someone with a big ego talking some doo doo. Just keep it real sometimes you just get luckier than others or you would be in a down swing. :icon_joke

H

Haftus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think skill is around 80-90%. Otherwise there would not be any pro players. Sometimes it is luck but most of the time and over a long period the skill is much more important and has more influence tham the luck.

J

Joshua BNL

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it was just about luck I would stop right away. But then again, your opponents can make it a game of luck. Especially with play money or low stake real money.

B

bhmorte22

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

in everything in life the lucky fot this present in poker would not be different, but skill and strategy determines the result in the majority of the times

Last edited:
D

Darth_Moola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck or Skill

I would say that variance plays a larger role in unskilled players. Having a tremendous amounts of poker skill allows someone to make plays that are superior and less influenced by variance. Without these abilities, variance naturally plays a larger role since it is woven into the basic fabric of the game. Anytime a skillful play is able to win you a pot that inherently takes variance out of the equation. Even if a skillful play doesn't automatically win you the pot, variance is still there as a back up.

To be clear, I am specifically referring to plays where you can win the pot without needing to depend on cards. I know human behavior also can play a role in variance.

Flatran

Flatran

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
although poker requires luck, I personally believe that the ability of the player influences much more on the odds, especially on the flop-turn is where the decisions whether to go for a bluff or not are what will determine how far you get to a tournament.

S

sheltowee420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have terrible luck.
I am ready to fold every hand.
I can lose 9 out of 10 coin flips in a row.
Just the other day, I lost with Quads to a Royal Flush.
But, somehow I am nicely ahead.
So, I think skill wins long term results, over luck.

ayahuasca

ayahuasca

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
100% skill and good probability of success betweentimes.

S

Shep15jon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes probability is big, but so is luck. AA has the highest probability of winning of any start hand, particularly against something rubbish like a 8,3 off.

You can’t account for the cards coming out of the deck. What if the flop was 8,8,3? That’s pure luck.

Skill would come after with how you play your aces, how you read your opponent, etc.

Santiman

Santiman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
imo luck is 75% Skill is definitely needed to win the long run..
... If someone gave me the choice of granting a wish to triple+ my skill in Poker or be super lucky .. I would chose Luck! ;)

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the short term, luck plays a big part. You can certainly have a great session or day or week even playing in a non-optimal way. In the long term, skill prevails. One reason why a lot of people think luck is more important is because most of the situations that occur in NLHE involve very small edges. There aren't many situations where you are >80% to win a hand. Even pre-flop AA loses about 20% of the time, which is fairly common. In cash games, it's easier to overcome this since you can reload and keep playing. For tournaments, you need to wait until the next one. If you take a big enough sample size, you will see that skill has a bigger impact. You need to use appropriate starting hand ranges, figure out your opponents' playing styles, make appropriate bet/raise sizes, know the correct pot odds and be able to get good reads on your opponents.

C

Chris2621

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Skill...and a bit of luck

Mostly skill..with a bit of luck with tournaments....IF...the structure is good.

I see many of the same players doing well...over and over.
Skill is a big factor

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think Luck Counts 40% Skill 60% or else we wouldnt be seeing those players again and again at the final table
I think that's a pretty fair estimate and a good argument.

C

Clandestine05

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
SKILL>LUCK, though I believe there is always a little luck involved when playing. Luck>Skill in certain games such as stud, Omaha, badugi, razz etc...

ACEWOLF56

ACEWOLF56

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only play NLH, so I can only speak for this specific kind of poker? It’s 100% skill (even with luck in play) and here’s why folks! This great game of poker, in which we are so fortunate to play, HAS Layers upon layers of SKILLED ACQUIRED risk management and strategies.

First off: bankroll MANAGEMENT:: Let’s say you have $100. Cash games, you sit with <= 5% ( <= means less than or equal to). Set a period of time (hrs) you feel comfortable working with.

Second: Your strategy:: If you have a few, decide when and where (spots) to play a specific one (which would keep your opponent constantly trying to figure you out).

Third: knowing when to go to the next level of stakes: stay at the stakes you’re playing until 5% of your bankroll is enough to buy in the maximum at that level.

Forth: (and probably the most important) DISCIPLINE, DISCIPLINE, DISCIPLINE!!!! If you don’t have the anchor that is heavy enough to hold your ship in place until your next move, then forget everything I just said, blame it on LUCK, HUDS, BOTS, and everything else people may blame their misfortune on!

Ladies and Gentlemen, like I said in the beginning of this post. NHL is 100% skill EVEN with luck involved. Sitting at the table and playing the game is not even half the battle. The more sophisticated the game, “the more sophisticated the opponent “ (Revolver). If this game is just for fun and to have a good time then by all means, let it ride. But if you play this game on a serious note, with risk management, proper strategy, and discipline, you’ll never have to worry about luck being in your favor. You’ll make your own luck, and making your own luck?......is a skill.

ClickPoker

ClickPoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck plays a fundamental role in poker