Skill or Luck? Whats your opinion?

Boston10111

Boston10111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
More skill than luck

Poker is a mixture of both skill and luck, but I believe it’s more skill.

If you have a bad hand 15 hands in a row like 10-4, 7-2, 8-3, etc.... and then when you hit it’s a full house but you bust to a higher full house(most recent game it happened) then that’s bad luck and does happen.

But if you learn peoples betting, learn the probablity of hands, follow when you should bet, raise, lcall, or fold then You will reach more final tables or at least get in The money more often to be profitable.

M

Mongoloider

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think Luck Counts 40% Skill 60% or else we wouldnt be seeing those players again and again at the final table

Poker needs skill, luck will take you to a certain extent, but sometimes playing or watching a tournament you realize every unlikely, perhaps not impossible, but very unlikely situation that makes you drop your logic a bit and believe in a greater force like the destiny.

Flatran

Flatran

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On deep stack tournaments skill is 70% and luck 30% imo, but in hyper-turbo is the other way around.

VictorOd

VictorOd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Can't measure the percentage, but on a long distance skill is everything.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think Luck Counts 40% Skill 60% or else we wouldnt be seeing those players again and again at the final table

I agree that skill counts more than luck involved in poker. As for there being no such thing as luck. I disagree with that altogether. When I first started playing poker in a live cash game, I didn't know much about starting hands and such and I won 9 out 11 hands and got up and walk away from the table thinking poker was easy. I know now how lucky I was when I first started out playing cash games. As I've learned there is luck in poker.

B

berryryan2488

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck dosent exist... Only probabbility

Well said. Luck is blind and "dumb luck" is not calculated, while probability in poker is your likelihood of hitting a hand based on odds of various sorts. Nobody would be a long term winning player in poker if they weren't able to recognize that probability does not equal luck.

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck will not let you take a good consistent results but results already isolated skill when luck is knocking helps raise good results is how I see the game
Has the luck factor but rather has the ability factor that makes the good performance results are maintained and not with isolated phases

:jd4:mateuspoker

Igorek1313

Igorek1313

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in each distribution in different ways. an average of 50 to 50. good luck to all))):cool:

rflbarreto

rflbarreto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
70% skill ... sure there is luck (eg. when I am not at your table lol)

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's a conbination of both, a player with skill will get more luck veneficio long term.

C

chippyrob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker takes both luck and skill you cannot win without either one :)

robert

D

Darth_Moola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How are people defining luck? Like, some are saying absolutely no luck is involved. Is luck some sort of magic power outside of probability? I know some people view it that way, but many understand that luck is just another way of referring to the results of probability.

fernandovr

fernandovr

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's not always the best hand that wins so it's a matter of skill, but I think luck also exists in the game. Receiving good or bad hands may even be a matter of luck but how you play depends on the skill.

Deedgee

Deedgee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whatever skill exists is far outweighed by sheer lunacy. I'm talking primarily about online poker, specifically tournaments, though my experience with live games has also fit this description.

K

kristersb123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's close because you need both to win at poker, saying from experience. There are situations where you play good but run bad and situations where you make a bad play but get lucky.