Razz Poker: The who, what, why, when, where, and how of it all

MrMuckets

MrMuckets

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok kids--today we are going to play the game of RAZZ> Can anyone tell me what the best hand is. OOH OOH--I know---A2345. Very good Cindy. What does ALLL the other players need to get to have a good hand? OOH OOH ---I know--A2345. Very good Billy, you and Cindy both get a star today. Outs, bluffing,ect. is part of any betting card game. The skill level of the game, is 1st grade skill level. Everyone--every game- every hand is going for the same hand- over and over and over and over again. Holdem 5 card draw stud are all poker games that has several different hands, not just opne hand---and to make it worst--everyone knows what that one hand is already. No low straight, no high straight, no low flush, no high flush, no straight flush, no Royal flush No four of a kind , no three of a kind, no pairs, no two pairs, no high card. RAZZ----- Just A2345 and that's the ball game folks. SKILL??? OK MY BAD!!! Opinions are like @ssholes---Everybody has one! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thirty seconds to invent a new game!!! Here goes.. RAZZ-UP--- Each player every game every hand all try to get the same cards 10-J-Q-K-A.. There it is folks. Pay your fees to me and enjoy you new Skill game. WOW!!! I must be a Jean e us. LOL!!!

You are an idiot, in the mold of people who think soccer is for kids who couldn't make the football team. :mad::mad:

F

finikee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
razz

You got that one right. They could not pay me to play that game. When I am in a h.o.r.s.e tourney, I make sure I have something to do for those 10 min. They should of named that game Pure Tilt.:mad:

qwerrk

qwerrk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am also new to razz and have a simple question someone should be able to answer.

My Hand: A 7 7 8 9 4 6

Do one of the 7's cancell out? making my playing hand A 4 6 7 8 ???

Im fairly sure they do just making sure?

The 7's don't "cancel out", you simply use your best 5 cards and that 2nd 7 isn't one of them. And yes, that is your hand.

Razz is a great change of pace game. If you're on a bad roll in hold'em our another favorite game, razz can be a place to recalibrate your game....maybe :D

B

bobboss171

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
RAZZ

I disagree that the Razz is a game with no skill, which is a lot ...

Razz is a very technical game that you can do
6 bets many times, may quit if the combination is not good, and can be tight, aggressive as any other variation of poker.​

SGspecial

SGspecial

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
RAZZ​

I disagree that the Razz is a game with no skill, which is a lot ...​

Razz is a very technical game that you can do​

6 bets many times, may quit if the combination is not good, and can be tight, aggressive as any other variation of poker.​

People will tell you razz is mostly luck with little or no skill. These are people who know nothing about poker. People like Barry Greenstein, Doyle Brunson, Ted Forrest, etc. will tell you that there is a lot of skill to razz because otherwise how could so many players be bad at it? I would tend to believe them.

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
People will tell you razz is mostly luck with little or no skill. These are people who know nothing about poker. People like Barry Greenstein, Doyle Brunson, Ted Forrest, etc. will tell you that there is a lot of skill to razz because otherwise how could so many players be bad at it? I would tend to believe them.
This...

I suck at Razz but like to play every now and then and i always had the impression that even if its the only game where u cant be dealt a made hand,its the form of poker where good players have the biggest edge(atleast at the lower stakes) cause so many people have no idea how to play.
In holdem for example every one atleast know the basics but in Razz there is a ridicules amount of players that dont even know the ground rules.

skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I <3 razz.

Except when I hate it... which is often.

T

THGE

Enthusiast
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to play Razz because I have very luck the get low cards (heheeh).
When I am playing HORSE I earn much chips in Razz.

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
starting hands

I am also new to razz and have a simple question someone should be able to answer.

My Hand: A 7 7 8 9 4 6

Do one of the 7's cancell out? making my playing hand A 4 6 7 8 ???

Im fairly sure they do just making sure?

As posted before the 7s rather brick than cancel themselves out.
Your hand will be 8764A as you said but there is another point:

A,7,7 as a starting hand is not very good.

A,7,7 is worse than A,7,K though it looks better.

Play with starting hands like A,x,8 as worst starting as a beginner.

I usally start with 7 low in early position.

Starting hands late position: A,2,3-8/2,3,4-8/3,4,5-8/4,5,6-8/5,6,7-8/6,7,8.

(this is rather tight but works well for me):deal:

hipshot55

hipshot55

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I recommend The Theory of Poker by David Sklansky. It covers most variations of poker and the section on RAZZ is excellent.

For some excellent discussion of the game, there is another thread in here at:
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/cash-games-11/razz-strategy-jd-anyone-what-can-132229/
quote]
Also:
Play Razz poker to win.
The fulltilt poker strategy guide has a section on tournament Razz.
SuperSystem has a section on Razz.
The Razz section in Sklansky´s book was originally a book on its own,called Sklansky on Razz but its out of print now.

hipshot55

hipshot55

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
If u like razz then u ought to try Badugi , carbon has a freeroll daily and pokerstar is goin to be adding it to their games.

Other than kinda being a lowball game, Badugi, which I despise with all my heart and soul, is NOTHING like RAZZ.

Example:

In RAZZ, if I have 7c6c5h3hAsXX and my opponent has Jc9s8d5h2hXX, I win. No contest.

With the exact same hands [7c6c5h3hAs] -vs- [Jc9s8d5h2h] in Badugi. I lose, because although I have the lowest hand, by a considerable margin, my opponent wins because he has the infamous Badugi; i.e. 4 unsuited cards.

Insanity!

If you are interested in other lowball games, check out 2-7 Single or Triple Draw.

ilballa

ilballa

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
im playin the freeroll razz right now.

i am in 379 position with 1300 people left.

The Shrog

The Shrog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no skill in poker. It's only luck.

pokerjdud

pokerjdud

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it definitely sounds like your playing razz with a bunch of people who have no idea whats going on...you wouldnt happen to have their screen names would you lol?

SGspecial

SGspecial

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play Razz poker to win.
SuperSystem has a section on Razz.
The Razz section in Sklansky´s book was originally a book on its own,called Sklansky on Razz but its out of print now.

I have read and reviewed all of these. The short answer about each is that the fulltilt guide and supersystem section are right on, but too short. Play razz poker to win has a lot of accurate statistics, but draws some pretty inaccurate conclusions. Sklansky on Poker has a lot of good advice, but surprisingly some bad advice too and quite a few errors (including mathematical ones). Also, the normal assumption he uses is that you're playing with tight/aggressive players in a low ante game, but if you're playing the freeroll on ftp nothing could be further from the truth :confused:

skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
BTW, you guys should print out and laminate anything SGspecial says. I'm sure most of you don't know it, but he's the best instructor available online and a high stakes crusher at razz ring games.

Don't be fooled by the noobish low post count at this particular forum.

SGspecial

SGspecial

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BTW, you guys should print out and laminate anything SGspecial says. I'm sure most of you don't know it, but he's the best instructor available online and a high stakes crusher at razz ring games.

Don't be fooled by the noobish low post count at this particular forum.
Damn, there goes my noobish disguise, lol. Thx tho, I forgot this forum even existed until I was searching around recently. When I saw you were posting here now, I figured it must be worthwhile.

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have read and reviewed all of these. The short answer about each is that the fulltilt guide and supersystem section are right on, but too short. Play razz poker to win has a lot of accurate statistics, but draws some pretty inaccurate conclusions. Sklansky on Poker has a lot of good advice, but surprisingly some bad advice too and quite a few errors (including mathematical ones). Also, the normal assumption he uses is that you're playing with tight/aggressive players in a low ante game, but if you're playing the freeroll on ftp nothing could be further from the truth :confused:
Yeah i saw your reviews on 1.99+2.01.

Any chance of a strategy post from u on Razz?

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This.

And for those who have posted that it is all luck, well, they obviously don't understand the game or probably any other stud variant.:mad:
And this, 100%. I've jumped into Razz with both feet and am seeing more and more how truly horrible so many players are. I've even had people sit down at a table, cap every street with an awesome stud hand, then ask how razz is played after they lose with their boat or something ridiculous. LOL.

I recommend The Theory of Poker by David Sklansky. ...and the section on RAZZ is excellent.
This too.

Play Razz poker to win.
This, not so much. It's a little debatable as to the quality of the details. He promotes a lot of concepts that can be good, but some are either partly wrong or they are incomplete. Most reviews I've seen by knowledgeable razz players support this same opinion. Though I wouldn't completely condemn it, there are somethings missing that would make it complete and a really valuable resource.

EDIT: I just saw SG's comments to this same point after I posted.

This is definitely worth reading, but it is nothing even close to a strategy type book. A good read imo to get some interesting insight from some excellent players of the game though.

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This.

This, not so much. It's a little debatable as to the quality of the details. He promotes a lot of concepts that can be good, but some are either partly wrong or they are incomplete. Most reviews I've seen by knowledgeable razz players support this same opinion. Though I wouldn't completely condemn it, there are somethings missing that would make it complete and a really valuable resource.

EDIT: I just saw SG's comments to this same point after I posted.

This is definitely worth reading, but it is nothing even close to a strategy type book. A good read imo to get some interesting insight from some excellent players of the game though.
I read Play Razz Poker to win and i actually kinda liked it,dno maybe its just because im a Razz noob and cant separate the good advice from the bad.
Mostly liked the hand ranking table,thought it was good beginners guide what to play and when.
But if been hearing some mixed feelings about the book so should a noob like me stay away from it our just take it with grain of salt?

I agree about the FTPSG,im reading it now and think its good book but it reads more like a series of essay´s then actual "guide"