Razz Poker: The who, what, why, when, where, and how of it all

NiceNisus

NiceNisus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Huh

Why are people saying Razz is the only game where you can't be dealt a made hand?
In every game I know you can't be dealt a made hand.
Razz is just like any other poker game in that sense.
For example:
In HoldEm you can be dealt AA, but having those cards doesn't guarantee you will win the hand, all cards are still live.
You merely have a greater chance of winning the hand.
As in Razz, if you start with A23 and your opponent holds AK10,
you have a much greater chance of winning when the draws are completed.
EH? :)

SGspecial

SGspecial

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why are people saying Razz is the only game where you can't be dealt a made hand?
In every game I know you can't be dealt a made hand.
Razz is just like any other poker game in that sense.
For example:
In HoldEm you can be dealt AA, but having those cards doesn't guarantee you will win the hand, all cards are still live.
You merely have a greater chance of winning the hand.
As in Razz, if you start with A23 and your opponent holds AK10,
you have a much greater chance of winning when the draws are completed.
EH? :)

I don't think anyone is saying that holding a "made" hand guarantees you the pot, just that it guarantees a certain minimum showdown value. Even 22 in HE is a made hand (tho a pretty weak one) that does not need to improve vs. a hand like AK, so long as the AK doesn't improve either. Of course, starting with A23 in razz will always give you a big edge over trash like AKT just like starting with AA in HE gives you a big edge over 25o, but a lot of people are uncomfortable betting or raising without a made hand. If they want to be a big winner in razz tho, they need to get over it imo.

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, the FTOPS game is still going 27 left on four tables now. Sorry to seek Skold and SG take some lumps and go out before the money. Great effort guys. I know Skold was the chipleader for a little bit there early on.

Icame really close to playing as well, in a way. Well, 1/2 way to playing anyway. I won a super-sat for entry into the FTOPS $50+5 satty that ran tonight. Sadly I had a conflict that would have hurt me across the board, imo. So I unregistered and took the T$. Maybe next time. :)

SGspecial

SGspecial

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, the FTOPS game is still going 27 left on four tables now. Sorry to seek Skold and SG take some lumps and go out before the money. Great effort guys. I know Skold was the chipleader for a little bit there early on.

Icame really close to playing as well, in a way. Well, 1/2 way to playing anyway. I won a super-sat for entry into the FTOPS $50+5 satty that ran tonight. Sadly I had a conflict that would have hurt me across the board, imo. So I unregistered and took the T$. Maybe next time. :)

Maybe your chance will be sooner than you think. The pokerstars SCOOP series schedule was just announced, with some great razz action. In honor of what may be the single greatest day in online razz history (which I will have to miss out on due to a Jewish holiday), I'm looking to stake runners in each level of the SCOOP razz events. And in honor of Stars' 25 billionth hand, I'm setting aside $2525 for the cause. That's 1 runner for the high stakes, 1 for the mid, and 10 for the low. You can only apply for one of the levels, so pick the one you're most interested in.

The criteria for applying are in a thread on another forum (hint: it equals 4), so find it there and apply for the gig if y'all are interested.

Jodieblonde

Jodieblonde

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you, Jack, for the information on Razz. I'll take a look at it when I have time to really get into it. I've played Razz a few times and can sure use some instruction on how to play. Seems like when I play I get the cards that I would like when playing holdem! lol....Guess it takes a lot of patiences and waiting for those low cards?